Miracool review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an excellent site, and I found just what I was looking for in wicking T shirts and Briefs. Those prices beat WallyWorld, including the shipping, no sales tax, and NOT made in China!
And if you use their credit card to charge purchases, free shipping forever!

True, dat... but I couldn't bring myself to open another credit card to save $7.00 shipping. If the wicking shirts work out well, I might change my mind and order up a few more to wear under my ballistic vest at work. It is a hot mofo, and a wicking shirt might be just the ticket.

Thanks again for the great link!

Don

Taking a trip to the California Central Valley next month and thinking this could be a good investment in my comfort...
Highly recommend it. 112 here yesterday, the 6th day straight of highs 105 or higher. Probably be about the same until October....

I have a Miracool vest and like it a lot so far. After it is charged with water (20 minute soak) is holds water a lot long than my vest from Cycle Gear. My Cycle Gear vest only last about 30 minutes on the freeway on 90+ degree heat. The miracool will last for hours. The mira cool is heavy when fully charged with water and I do look like a highway worker with my bright orange vest but it is well worth it. I took mine on our ride to camp outing this weekend and it lasted the entire weekend which was probably around 8 hours riding time over two days. It is holding water sitting in my garage.
I have a slightly used Cycle Gear vest for sale now. :D Now if I can just figure out how to get a pair of Mira Cool underwear.
I have a real-world application question for you 2, Toe and J-80s and others who have used the Miracool vests, as I still haven't had a chance to wear mine. I have the wicking undergarment, but do I need to be concerned about vest moisture wetting things in the inside pockets of my jacket such as wallet, cell phone, etc...?? Inquiring minds want to know......

have the wicking undergarment, but do I need to be concerned about vest moisture wetting things in the inside pockets of my jacket such as wallet, cell phone, etc...?? Inquiring minds want to know......
Yes, at least in my experience with my old Joe Rocket Sahara, but it was getting re-wetted constantly. The MiraCool isn't as "drippy", but I wouldn't keep my cell phone anywhere near it.

have the wicking undergarment, but do I need to be concerned about vest moisture wetting things in the inside pockets of my jacket such as wallet, cell phone, etc...?? Inquiring minds want to know......
Yes, at least in my experience with my old Joe Rocket Sahara, but it was getting re-wetted constantly. The MiraCool isn't as "drippy", but I wouldn't keep my cell phone anywhere near it.
I agree with Toe.

Vroompuppy-how is this working out for you? I just placed the order for this as well, from TuffRhino.
OK Allnight, group ride last Friday, mid-PM in Franklin, NC and about 85F I decided to wet down the Miracool and give it a try.

I wasn't able to soak it for the full 20-30 minutes, but got at least a 1/2 gal of water into it before donning it. WOW and OMG did it feel great when we took off through town. I had my jacket front about 1/2 open, stock screen full down, riding about 30-40mph and it felt like someone had dumped ice inside my jacket!! Now, on the downside the cooling really didn't seem to last as long as I thought it should as it wasn't really effective after about 1.5hrs. My thoughts are maybe I overwhelmed the evaporative cooling water supply w/too much air flow? I even reversed the vest at about 1.5hrs w/no real positive effect. Now the vest is hanging up downstairs and the crystals still hold water 48 hours after wetting, but I doubt it'd supply much cooling as is. The question that I'd pose to those who are more experts w/this vest than I am is how often would you expect to have to re-charge the water? It seems to me that max cooling is achieved only when the material between the crystal channels is wet too? Thoughts and/or theories are welcome.....

When reading the information online at TuffRhino, I noticed they recommend that before wearing the vest for the first time it is best to throughly soak it, hang it up, and let it dry.

Some of the reviews also mentioned that it works better after the first wearing (they had apparantly not done the soak n dry routine as recommended).

Hoping it works, as mine is crawling across country toward Spokane in the back of a UPS truck!

Don

When reading the information online at TuffRhino, I noticed they recommend that before wearing the vest for the first time it is best to throughly soak it, hang it up, and let it dry.
Some of the reviews also mentioned that it works better after the first wearing (they had apparantly not done the soak n dry routine as recommended).

Hoping it works, as mine is crawling across country toward Spokane in the back of a UPS truck!

Don
I'd buy that...both the fact that it works better AFTER the 1st wet/dry cycle AND the fact that I didn't read the directions enough to know that! Actually I don't remember the product insert saying anything about that, but doesn't mean it didn't.....darn that Y chromysomy...thx Don.

I guess I'll have to add another report after the next time I use it....

Soaking for 20-30 minutes just doesn't do it for mine. I usually soak for it overnite before a trip, such as to WFO-8. At the end of a trip it usually take 4 to 5 days hanging outside to be dry enough to put away.

The coolness lasts all day for me. I reverse the vest at each gas stop or about every one and one-half hours. Re soak the vest in the motel bathtub each nite. I also use one of their neck bandannas.

Carry the vest in a large plastic zip loc bag when not in use. Current vest has been used 4 summers and still going strong.

Your experience may vary.

Bruce

I "charged" (soaked) mine before I left for NAFO. I wore it for 3 days before recharging. I remember pulling into my cousin's driveway (100 degrees) and her asking, "Aren't you hot with allthat gear on?"

I unzipped my Cycleport mesh jacket and placed her hand on my MiraCool vest. "Wow", she said, "That's really cool!"

Mine works, even behind my CeeBailey +4+2 and inside my CyclePort gear. I don't think it would be as effective with my Kilimanjaro Air as the CyclePort allows slightly better ventilation.

Telephone: I have a leather case for my cell phone and I keep it in the top front pocket of my riding jacket, even when wearing the MiraCool and I've not had any problems.

Ya know, Vroom - as the referees like to say on NFL telecasts... "Upon further review, the XXXX (stands, is over-ruled, etc.)".

As I think back on the reading I did prior to making my purchase choice, that info about soaking it first, then letting it dry before first wearing it may have come from a vendor over in the Puget Sound area rather than from TuffRhino. I recall there the vendor in the Seattle area is noted for including supplemental, and helpful instructions. The only reason I didn't buy from them is that I would have been burned for WA State sales tax, as I'm also a resident here... that, and the fact his pricing is a little steep compared to TuffRhino's.

... and to be perfectly honest, I don't often read the instructions either! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to trying out the MiraCool soon.

Don

Guess my usage differs. I like to soak the vest then hang it out on the deck railing to let the flat, no crystal, panels dry before wearing. It just feels more comfortable to wear this way to me.

Madmike- you've got wings, right? So you can direct air toward your torso even behind the big screen. No wings here and with the stock screen fully down I only get relief by standing up on the pegs or by leaning way off to the side to get airflow to my torso.

Next project, me thinks, is to bastardize, err customize, one of my extra screens. Which one? Let's see. I've got a Cal-Sci screen and an unknown origin barn door-sized screen to choose from. Thinking I'd be happy and cool with a summer screen about the size of my old FJ1100 screen that would let air hit my torso. Will see if that project happens this year.

Here's the old FJ1100 screen, a wall hanging object d'art.

004.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

I like mine and have sung the praises here for a couple of years. They work best when fully hydrated. I've ridden mine for two days+ before rehydrating on a long road trip.
How do you pack a wet vest like that when you travel?? I'm getting less and less tolerant of the heat these days these look like a good option.

You live in MN and you are less tolerant of the "heat". What is heat to you? Anything above 65 lol?

Hmm, wonder how they would handle the 112 we hit with 7% humidity. Be nice for the ride home.

Toe or MM or anyone else who knows me and already has one..
Will an XL fit me?
If MM can fit into one, I'm thinking you can too. My regular is a bit small, but will fit good as an undervest.
Yep, Bob has it right..mine is an XL.

Madmike- you've got wings, right? So you can direct air toward your torso even behind the big screen. No wings here and with the stock screen fully down I only get relief by standing up on the pegs or by leaning way off to the side to get airflow to my torso.
Yeah, you're right. I've had them for so long I forget that they are "added". They sure do help..... :rolleyes:

You might try some spacers to lift the front of the wind shield and allow more air into the cockpit. I've done that also but don't have the need any longer.

Last edited by a moderator: