More fun with Plasti Dip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Lordy, agitation from the crotch area? Why couldn't you post that on a Friday???
biggrin.png
Yeah, when you have agitation in the crotch area, it's no wonder it'd start peeling!

Which begs the question.......

Did the agitation in the crotch area cause the peeling? Or did peeling in the crotch area cause the agitation?

Enquiring Crotch Doctors want to know! :D

Put about 110 miles on since I put on the Plasti Dip on the tank trim, and I think that it is not going to work out. I think that on a part like that with a lot of agitation from the crotch area, it is going to wear pretty fast. I think the lower cowling part that I did will work out better since it just gets road spluge on it. I think I am gonna peel it off there and try one more time to put on the carbon fiber look vinyl. If that doesn't work out, I will order the 09 A tank trim in metallic black.
I Plasti-Dipped that part about 5000 miles ago and it still looks great.

Prior to buying a black tank trim piece, consider painting it with a matt black lacquer. If you do that and apply a matt clear coat you will have a very complementary match to the other black trim. You will definitely need to either paint or buy the red side panels. Remove those silly 1300 badges on the fairings and you will be in the chips.

Art, can a spray can from the auto parts store get that satin black finish? I had an 09 and don't think a shiny black tank band is the way to go.

Eric, If you are good with a spray can it should work. If you are not comfortable with that have a local body shop do it. I would suggest a clear cost over the paint. Perhaps a heat lamp to cure the paint. You should be able to find the paint at Home Depot, Lowes, or any major hardware store. Clear coat may require more looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose the best way to answer that is, I do not like bling on a vehicle. If it has no function forget it. Less is better except for money!!

Looks like the black 09 tank band shipped from Partshark, but still no notification on the red side panels. Thought the "shiny" metallic black would look better myself. Will post up pics when it arrives and is installed

for some reason the tank bands vary wildly in price between years. the silver it twice the price of the 09 black. Who knows. Partshark has my order for the black one. I sprayed the silver one black and although I suck at paint, black is clearly the way to go.

Got the black band today. Installed and I likey! Once the backordered red side panels arrive, the transformation will be complete.

IMG_20140324_174411_792_zps24874d1c.jpg

IMG_20140324_174400_304_zpsae0c2276.jpg

Yup! But I have three more pieces of 12" X 60" carbon fiber vinyl on the way. I have a few more chances to get that silver tank band wrapped with it. I think if I can get that wrap on it would be the best look! At least I have options now. Eric L, did your red side panels arrive? If so we need pics!

Bogus, You will really like the red panels. I have the shiny black tank band and it actually looks good with the red panels. If I had not taken it from my 07 I would have had the tank band painted matt black. I went with the T-Rex sliders and like the fit. Anxious to her from anyone who happened to drop their bike to see how well they perform!!

I REALLY like the look of the carbon fairing blades. I looked at your previous posts to see if you posted details about them but didn't find anything. Can you point me in the right direction on what to buy and how to apply it?

sorry, here ya go...
i-ZHpDHsf-X2.jpg
Oh yeeeeeaaaa! That's the way uh huh, uh huh, I like it!

CopB8, here is the link to E-bay where I got the wrap. https://www.ebay.com/itm/281199253446?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D281199253446%26_rdc%3D1

Cut the sheeting so you will have some overlap on the edges. Set down at your bench or table with a hair dryer or a heat gun. Peel off the backing and apply to the panel. Kind of work from the center out, heating and massaging to get the air bubbles out. Tedious process, but take your time and have patience. You really have to just work with it to find out how to best apply it.