More fun with Plasti Dip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got tired of having an area of the windscreen that I could not get to to clean. While inspired by the Plasti Dip, I used truck bed liner....

IMG_1100_zpsca5cdbb0.jpg

IMG_1102_zpse1d9cb08.jpg

Look at the bottom picture. Above the Yamaha symbol and below the words. I'm on my phone, but I swear that looks like a naked guy with the left arm by the face and the right arm covering his junk.

I was joking, but thats what it looks like on this dumb little screen.

the black 2009 was for some reason cheaper than the others. Partshark had it for around 100 if I remember correctly. I wouldnt have bought it if i hadnt f*cked up painting the silver one.

Dang.. They are proud of that part. I was thinking they were $20-$30. I plasti dipped my silver one for my '08. It seems to have come out ok. I put about 6 layers on it. I'll see if it holds up.

Plastidip1.jpg

Plastidip2.jpg

after the plastic dip, I tried a semi gloss black i picked up at Autozone. I sanded the silver finish and then totally f*cked up the black paint.

If anyone here said "hey I can re sand that thing and paint it correctly", I'd sure give a listen.

rolleyes.gif

I think the transformation is complete........for now!

The total package: Started with Plasti dipped lower front cowling, transferred Pazzo shorty levers, transferred Garauld rear rack, transferred Sargent seats, CF look vinyl on fairing blades, Cee Baileys dark tinted sport shield, Wynpro block off plates, Progrip tank pad and gas cap CF look pad, 09 black tank band, Euro red side covers, T-Rex frame sliders, fairing stickers and tank reflectors gone, Back Off brake light modulator.

DSC00707_zps80fc93ed.jpg

My awesome brother-in-law has a tint shop and paint protection business. He has a plotter which cuts out pieces of tint or clear paint protection for any make/model of car or bike. He cut out bag, front fairing, mirror, and headlight clear paint protection for the bike. Just got it installed today.

photo_zps772ca472.jpg

I am ready tor this stinking weather to straighten out for riding!!

Well, it looks like the plasti-dip on my tank ring is also starting to chip off. Any other suggestions on what to use to paint it black? Maybe some SEM Plastic black paint? I may just peel the plasti-dip and go back to the silver. I would love the gloss black ring like the 2009's have, but it's hard for me to justify spending $130+ dollars for a new one.

Truck bed liner will make a very durable and pebbled finish. It is easy to use and forgiving, but practice on something else first.

Latest posts