Most comfortable sportbike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order to make a late model R1 ('04 - '08) more comfortable, here's what you can do. Lowers the pegs approx. 1.25" and raises the bar ends by approx. 1.5". You can change the sweep fwd or back also. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a world of difference! My ole knees, wrists, and neck thank me every time I ride!

P7081467.jpg

P8110006a.jpg

P8110004a.jpg

P7081462.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Its funny, everyone's take on comfort is so different. Having not ridden a sport bike other than a couple of short rides of demo bikes, I am not sure what kind of endurance I would have on one. I know there are things that allow them to be made at least some more comfortable, but I am not sure they would ever be truly comfortable for me. I am not really for Iron Butt comfort here, just 300-400 mile days without feeling like I need traction at the end.
Anyway, I know a bike like the FJR would probably be the smartest move for me, but I was really wanting something lighter to ride in the mountains, but comfortable enough to ride from Florida to North Carolina to get to the mountains.

I know, a Gold Wing with a trailer hitch to tow a CBR.
In all seriousness; have you considered a Triumph Sprint ST? With some 1.75 risers, they can be very comfortable. My friend had one and it was a blast to ride. It was plenty fast, and light enough to be a blast in the corners. There's lots of power and it is comfortable with hard bags and an available trunk. They really are sweet bikes...Just a thought.

Wow, there don't seem to be any shortage of options if you're not looking at at true sportbike. I guess I don't really consider the Hayabusa and ZX-14 to be true sportbikes, in the mold of the 600cc and liter bikes. I was really wondering if their was any appreciable difference in comfort in the CBR, GSXR, ZX bikes. I guess there aren't really any people who have compared those bikes with an eye toward comfort, which is probably an answer to itself.

Oh well, I have spent so much money making my cruiser more comfortable on long trips I guess I should just stick with it and get something sporty to ride closer to home without worrying about comfort as much. The problem is that my favorite roads are 600 miles away and that is where I want the sport bike, not here on the relatively boring Florida roads.

I guess a sport tourer does make more sense, but then my motorcycle tastes have never run to the practical.

Thanks for all the responses though. You guys have given me alot to think about.

Dan

Oh well, I have spent so much money making my cruiser more comfortable on long trips I guess I should just stick with it and get something sporty to ride closer to home without worrying about comfort as much. The problem is that my favorite roads are 600 miles away and that is where I want the sport bike, not here on the relatively boring Florida roads.
Ummm... that is exactly why many of us own sport-touring bikes. You can take a long ride (in comfort) and have some sporty fun when you get there. I think what we've shown you is there are varying degrees of sportiness and touriness (just made that word up) in the range of sport touring bikes on the market. Unless you are looking for a track bike (or are a squid in training), I really can't see the point of riding a pure sport bike on the road.

If you can't ride a bike longer than an hour without stopping, well, you aren't riding. You're just showing off.

Comfortable sportbike is an oxymoron. Real RR sportbikes are designed to shave seconds on a racetrack, riding in a crouch with elbows tucked in to minimize wind resistance flying down the straights, suspensions finely tuned for the individual rider, maybe twitchy and unforgiving, requiring a lot of practice and skill to ride safely anywhere near their potential. You will not get weather protection or comfort for highway riding, they are not good for watching your back or looking over cars in traffic, and you will be a pretzel after a few hours and your butt will feel like you just spent your first night in jail. No S-T bike will offer racetrack performance, but you probably don't need or want that, especially in the mountains where you are virtually never going to use the top end anyway. S-T bikes are compromises between comfort and performance, and the FJR is one of the best all-around compromises emphasizing cornering ability, at least of those with shaft drives. Going in the other direction, a bike like a light dual sport or an SV or a Versys or a Strom will probably be even more fun in the twisties, with decent ergos, wide handlebars for leverage, will cost less to buy, maintain, and insure, and be relatively easy to ride fast in the mountains. However, they may not be so great for a 600 mile straight shot from FL to NC (some really nice twisties in N. GA, by the way). I don't think it is possible to have truly the best of both worlds, so you just have to pick your poison.

A used Gen I FZ1, from 2001-2005 is a very good choice for a sport bike which can easily tour. I've owned an 01 which was converted into a sport tourer by the guy who bought it from me. Yamaha changed the focus of the FZ1 from '06 to present to make it more sport oriented, ostensibly to differentiate it more from the FJR. Plenty of low mileage 05' FZ1's available.
I'm still very happy with my 06 FZ1.

Early on I modified the handlebars, TAG S2 bars w/ Rizoma risers, and put Yamaha's touring shield and their gel seat to make it more like an FJR.

It's been a blast to ride. So light and powerful and 0 problems so far, but as my sig line says ...I'm waiting for Yamaha to update the FJR and bring on a "shift red" FJR 1700 V-max motor. Hehe! :rolleyes:

Anothe vote for the 1st gen FZ-1. I have mine to almost R1 handling and even with lower bars can do all day trips, almost 6 gallons of fuel capacity means 220 miles between fills, get some soft bags and go.

Anothe vote for the 1st gen FZ-1. I have mine to almost R1 handling and even with lower bars can do all day trips, almost 6 gallons of fuel capacity means 220 miles between fills, get some soft bags and go.
I don't think there is a bike that rivals the first gen FZ-1 in the comfort/power/handling combo. It's not really a sportsbike, but it is pretty damn close in every category, except comfort and fuel capacity, where it exceeds.

I've been looking at this same question myself. I find the FJR to be too much touring and not enough sport. I still need a two-up that can be ridden all day but I want something light and more nimble. I've owned an FZ1 and it's a great bike but it's not that light nor nimble. An SV is not a sports bike (my wife had one) and a VFR, no offense, is a too slow.

Right now I own a 1098s and use it when I want to get serious in the canyons. I've ridden it on 300 mile days but it takes some pain tolerance. The pain disappears once in the canyons. I have a Monster for all out fun and probably ride it more than any other bike. Its light, its fast, it handles, and I fit on it perfectly.

To be honest and after a ton of research I think the Triumph Sprint is the perfect sport bike with the ability to tour in relative comfort. The bike is light, the engine is fantastic, the riding position is aggressive without being a race bike, and it has bags. I'm considering trading my FJR for one...

I'm a Ducati nut, I own 5 of them but the ST series (2,3,4) are no longer made and seriously out of date.

There are a few Ducati's that I don't like, in the past the ST has been one of them. It's been a few years since I've ridden one, maybe another try is in order. :confusedsmiley:

Well, you guys have pretty much convinced me a true sportbike is not what I really want. Unless I can get it to a track anyway. I kind of knew that already, I just don't like admitting it to myself.
So, while you guys may think I'm crazy, this is what I am leaning towards now.

https://www.buell.com/_media/images/bikes/a...er_XB12XT_1.jpg

You go from wanting a straight on sport bike to a pseudo adventure tourer with an antique Harley V-twin engine? I think you need to work on your focus... :rolleyes:

I absolutely hated my Busa. prabally the worse ergos of any bike I have ever owned. Never could get comfortable on it and it felt like a pig in the turns. I would consider an SV650 for comfort. Great bike. Can be had for a somg an ddance, If you get the naked version they have bars, not clip ons so you can set adn and get comfortable.

I absolutely hated my Busa. prabally the worse ergos of any bike I have ever owned. Never could get comfortable on it and it felt like a pig in the turns. I would consider an SV650 for comfort. Great bike. Can be had for a somg an ddance, If you get the naked version they have bars, not clip ons so you can set adn and get comfortable.
Yeah... you shoulda traded it to me. Those Busa's suck

Sport bikes are sport bikes, sport tourers are sport tourers, cruisers are cruisers ect. IMO there is no way around the issue completely. Many of us here have multiple bikes for the very reason you speak. And I really think most here who have the FJR have it for the very reason that it strikes a happy medium in the best of both worlds. Perform's well as the "all around bike". Even though the FJR is heavy, it is able to fullfill the fun of twisty mountain roads and yet still able to pack it up and head out accross the country at abnormal speeds if you know what I mean.

And of note here also is among the major manufacturer's that produce a sport tourer the FJR has proven to be leaning toward the sport side of the ride among this group. Like someone else mentioned if you want to lean even more to the sport side and still be able to ride distance the Triumph Sprint could suffice. Otherwise there are many also who trailer their "sport" bike to their destination and attack the twisties from there. There is no shame in this. And is a viable option.

So I really feel the true answer is to have the bike to suit your need on that given day if one can afford it. And just do it. PM. <>< :yahoo:

Otherwise there are many also who trailer their "sport" bike to their destination and attack the twisties from there. There is no shame in this.
How is trailering a street registered bike to "attack the twisties" any less shameful that trailering a cruiser to "Bike Week" somewhere?