Motorbike lift techniques - or how to barely not toss one overboard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading all your posts makes me feel better about my age induced stoopidity. Was on the bike in the garage, engine off, maneuvering backwards like I do everytime I put her to bed, gear and helmet on still. Once in position, the routine is, kickstand down, get off and haul onto CS.

Only this time I was looking over my left shoulder at how close the Givi was to the door frame and actually LEANING TO THE LEFT AT THE SAME TIME!!!

I wasn't braced or gripping tightly, no kickstand..............then gravity took over and threw me off as she crashed down on the concrete.No one around to help and car parked directly adjacent to bike.

I'm sweating as I type this.

Took several deep breaths, got a grip and very, very slowly got her upright. Had to stand there, not moving for a full minute before I could trust myself to move without falling over.

I dunno, I'm cornfused. My bikelift is a major pain in the ass. matter of fact, I can't figure out if I ever wanna use it again. It's only real value is to hole the bike steady and lift it vertically off the ground. Being a tall bike. lifting it higher doesn't seem terribly important.

Now me, I usually ride the bike up onto the ramp and when it's time to come off, I ride it backwards. Both feets on the lift table and down the ramp. No muss, no fuss (I just have to make sure I don't hit multiple other bikes taking her outta the garage).

I've dropped bikes lots a time. From a standstill, off a jackstand, but never off a lift table. Ya'll are a scary lot.

Have not had the desire to get one because of the space it takes up. And also I don't mind it so much working on the ground. At some point when I can no longer work at ground level I will have to take it to the professionals.

Have not had the desire to get one because of the space it takes up. And also I don't mind it so much working on the ground. At some point when I can no longer work at ground level I will have to take it to the professionals.
Well,when you're old and arthritic and working on cold concrete and you don't have the cash to pay $125 per hour at the shop.... a lift makes a lot of sense.
angel.gif

Sigh: I remember those days when I could crawl under a bike or car. Enjoy it while you can. Here's how it is now: It takes me a couple of minutes to find the correct socket. Then just getting down to the ground takes me a couple of minutes more. Once I've gotten down and into the correct position, I inevitably realize I have grabbed the wrong socket. Getting back up takes a few minutes more. Finding the correct socket takes a few minutes more. Then getting back down and into the correct position takes a few minutes more. Then I realize I have to pee. Getting back up takes a few minutes more. Don't ask how long it takes to pee. By now it's lunch time, and I still haven't started on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,when you're old and arthritic and working on cold concrete and you don't have the cash to pay $125 per hour at the shop.... a lift makes a lot of sense.
angel.gif
I must be really smart because I now have 5 lifts along with the age and arthritis.
sadsmiley.gif

So I recently purchased a New 12, and been lurking the forum. After reading this thread, I had to sign up to share the stupid.

1990 zx10, on the side stand, picked er up and rolled er back from in front of the garage door to remove mini van, forgot I put kickstand up...... I'm 5'11 150lbs, and no one around. Minor scratches to the Z, but my pride took some damage!

Mornin'all.

I decided to make my post above ground car hoist multi task. I bought a salvage solid core, industrial strength wooden door, hinged a 36x36 piece of diamond plate aluminum to the one end and drilled holes for 2, 1/2 in bolts thru door and thru extended pads of hoist arms. Bolted a wheel chock to one end and added 4 eye bolts to the corners of the door. Then I used a hole saw and cut a hole in the middle of the door. I bought an aluminum cookie sheet from a commercial restaurant supply, cut a hole in the middle of it and peened the circumferance so it locked the cookie sheet into the hole in the door. This way, I have a drip catcher that flows to a pan underneath the door when a bike is raised on it.

No chance a bike is unstable on this. Happy to share.

Horsefly

After getting through this thread, I've come to the conclusion...

>>> Gravity is a bitch <<<

Pfft, more effort, more energy - that will work.
POP!

Off the CS and damn near off to the left of the lift. Stomp the foot down, apply every last bit of energy to keep her from toppling over. Tear a groin. Pop an ankle.

Yes Sir, that's the ticket.

Don, I don't have a lift just for this reason, I'd rather grovel on the floor beside my bike by choice, not by mis-deed.

Brodie

omg2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a lift at the lab, and another one at home. I did not like either one. The one at the lab was fairly large, and operated on shop air. The one at home was a Harbor Freight type of lift that operated with an hydraulic cylinder.

For most stuff, I like to just scoot around the bike on a wheeled shop stool. But if the bike needs to be elevated, I like to use a pair of overhead winches/come alongs, one at each end of the bike.

I'm not sure how this would work with an FJR. I never tried to suspend an FJR. But I did have my ST1100, V-Strom 1000, and other fairly large bikes in the air from time to time.

I don't think there's much danger of "dropping" the bike with this strategy. It's easier than a lift for fork rebuilds or tire changes too.