Moving the top case back for passenger comfort & considering a topcase luggage rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbwrench

Reaction score
Hello, my wife is thinking about joining me on a trip to the black hills, 800-850 miles in one day. She has made the trip many times on my Harley full dresser, but it has a side car now and I am not riding that when I have the FJR.

The problem is she says the topcase-givi46 and givi mount pushes into the top of her back and it is even worse with the factory "pad". I think I need to move the case rearward an inch or two. the rack I have won't easily allow that. Any Ideas? Comments? She is prety small, 4'10"tall. I figured we would have more than enough room but where she fits in the seat comfortably, the case is too close to the top of her back.

Also looking for some sort of rack to go on top of the top case.

Thanks in advance!!!!! TBW.

Check out Premier Cycle Accessories. They have a rack that allows you to mount a Givi case 1 inch back. Leave the pad off the case since wifey should have armor in her jacket. That should take care of her.

Check out Premier Cycle Accessories. They have a rack that allows you to mount a Givi case 1 inch back. Leave the pad off the case since wifey should have armor in her jacket. That should take care of her.

+1 on what Johnny said. I had a couple different positions to mount my E52 case, with the PCA rack.

The rack mount looks great and should work but presents another problem with my lighting connector........... Does this rack tighten up the retention? my case is a little loose now with the givi mount. And yes she wears Joe Rocket armored jackets, she prefers the mesh..... all year long. Winter = heated liner, rain liner, mesh outer. Don't try to figure them out I guess. She usually rides her own bike but doesn't want to ride in a busy place like Sturgis. I cant blame her.

Givi makes a rack for their top case. I have on on mine.Check with any Givi dealer...they may have to order it.
Would it work to drill the holes in one lid and then change lids when not using the rack? I have a flat black and creulian silver one. I would drill the black one if that would work and use it for long trips. then use the silver one the rest of the time.

thanks, TBW

Hello, my wife is thinking about joining me on a trip to the black hills, 800-850 miles in one day. She has made the trip many times on my Harley full dresser, but it has a side car now and I am not riding that when I have the FJR.
The problem is she says the topcase-givi46 and givi mount pushes into the top of her back and it is even worse with the factory "pad". I think I need to move the case rearward an inch or two. the rack I have won't easily allow that. Any Ideas? Comments? She is prety small, 4'10"tall. I figured we would have more than enough room but where she fits in the seat comfortably, the case is too close to the top of her back.

I ordered a 12"x12", 3/16 in aluminum plate, and cut it so that the hole pattern can be offset by 2" from the original. It works great, and my wife - and I - are comfortable on our trips. The solution did not cost much and is not pretty, but no one can see it because the top box covers the aluminum plate. I seem to recall that I also needed to buy 4 stainless steel screws with nylon self-locking nuts to attach the new plate to the GIVI rack. BTW, I am using the Givi E52 model. If you are interested in seeing more details, I can send you a couple of photos.

Good luck,

Silverbear

I ordered a 12"x12", 3/16 in aluminum plate, and cut it so that the hole pattern can be offset by 2" from the original. It works great, and my wife - and I - are comfortable on our trips. The solution did not cost much and is not pretty, but no one can see it because the top box covers the aluminum plate. I seem to recall that I also needed to buy 4 stainless steel screws with nylon self-locking nuts to attach the new plate to the GIVI rack. BTW, I am using the Givi E52 model. If you are interested in seeing more details, I can send you a couple of photos.

Good luck,

Silverbear

some photos would be great! did you use the same mounting plate from givi-just moved back 2" via the aluminum plate?

thanks TBW

HELLO

I have the same topcase and my wife is only 5' and she had the exact same problem. I removed the pad and moved it lower by turning it upside down then drilled new holes and remounted it so that the top of pad is even with the bottom of the silver trim band. Filled upper holes with # 10 screws with nuts on the inside. My wife loves it this way. You might give it a try. Good Luck

Vern

HELLO

I have the same topcase and my wife is only 5' and she had the exact same problem. I removed the pad and moved it lower by turning it upside down then drilled new holes and remounted it so that the top of pad is even with the bottom of the silver trim band. Filled upper holes with # 10 screws with nuts on the inside. My wife loves it this way. You might give it a try. Good Luck

Vern

Latest posts