mpg question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I mountain crawl all day hitting around 40 on my RoadStar I can get as much 55mpg.
Yabbut, then you're riding a Roadstar around at 40 mph? :sleepysmileyanim:

My good man, mountains ain't made for crawlin'. :nono:

They was made for strafing! Word.

Via GPS 41 around town and 45-47 highway. My speedo and odo are approx 9% off ergo the MPG displayed is off too. :dribble:
I doubt that. Yeah, your speedo reads high by 7-8% , but recheck your odometer calibration. I bet that (unless you have some odd ball tires on there) you will find that it is within 1or 2 % accurate. If you take the odometer reading difference between fill ups and divide by the gallons pumped you will get a pretty accurate mpg.

Just don't use the 2nd gen dash display. That is for entertainment value only. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a 3400 + mile trip out west and back last week averaged 52 MPG for the trip.

( of course I what about a 30 mph tail wind across Iowa.. )

Old & Slow

If I mountain crawl all day hitting around 40 on my RoadStar I can get as much 55mpg.
Yabbut, then you're riding a Roadstar around at 40 mph? :sleepysmileyanim:

My good man, mountains ain't made for crawlin'. :nono:

They was made for strafing! Word.

Via GPS 41 around town and 45-47 highway. My speedo and odo are approx 9% off ergo the MPG displayed is off too. :dribble:
I doubt that. Yeah, your speedo reads high by 7-8% , but recheck your odometer calibration. I bet that (unless you have some odd ball tires on there) you will find that it is within 1or 2 % accurate. If you take the odometer reading difference between fill ups and divide by the gallons pumped you will get a pretty accurate mpg.

Just don't use the 2nd gen dash display. That is for entertainment value only. ;)
Nope, that's about what it broke down to over 1.6K miles last trip. Haven't checked the tires....it's used. Interesting thought. I prefer to trust my GPS tho, cuz its never let me down over the last 4 years.

I never use the display for anything other than reference. Entertainment value is 2/10. No naked women :lol:

thanks to all who gave me their good bad and ugly opinions on the FJR. I really do appreciate it. I do have another question, though. In reading reviews and such the FJR seems to average 35- 40 mpg. I know it all depends on how it is ridden. If I mountain crawl all day hitting around 40 on my RoadStar I can get as much 55mpg. In the real world of city riding, traffic, stop lights and signs I can usually squeeze out around 40 mpg. How do y'all's numbers compare to the tests? Is this number pretty accurate?
I wish I could get that good of MPG on my 2008 Road Star. It only gets about 38 MPG. My 2004 FJR gets 50 MPG regularly.

Scooper

Typically mid-40's running around town with perhaps 20% hwy time. Running a pace on hwy traveling, high 40's low 50's.

That being said I did a day ride on Sunday running the whole day around 55mph, I thought my gas gauge was busted! Topped up after and found I got 62mpg! (UK gallon)

Have a 2009 and me and the wife do a lot of riding 2 up ; still get 45 mph ; not bad ; cause we are not small people-LOL

Jim

Some interesting results on mileage. Before I removed my PC III, I was getting terrible mileage - I think the previous owner had it dyno-tuned for ultimate performance with no regard for economy. It was often less than 36 mpg under "normal" riding conditions. I saw a 20-25% improvement overnight.

Without the PC III, I find the average mpg function on the Gen II to be fairly accurate. Long slow ride today (50 mph zones, for the most part, and I was running 5-10 over) I got my best mileage ever - 53.4 mpg! The Avg. mpg readout said 51.6.

I just spent a week riding with a Gen I friend in Newfoundland. For some reason, his fuel consumption was almost always 10% less than mine (I was averaging somewhere around 44 or so). No reasonable explaination. We were travelling at the same speed. He is perhaps a little lighter and quite a bit shorter. He is running a Givi shield and I have a Cee Bailey - not the monster one. Both bikes were running with moderately loaded side bags and top cases. I encountered the same situation with another Gen I owner comparing only a couple tanks of fuel while riding together. Don't think I have a heavier hand on the throttle so I am guessing the factory mapping is different. Only other difference is that I have a K&N air filter.

Haven't done a throttle body synch since i bought the bike, 35,000 miles ago. Could this be something that would have a measurable effect on mileage? Plugs are iridium but getting a little long in the tooth.

Ross

I averaged 51-52 mpg last week on a trip down through northern New Mexico and back up through southern Colorado. That is normal for me riding mostly in the altitude.

I got 46.5 on a 5200 mile trip last month from Dayton, OH through Ontario, Gaspesie, NH, MA, the Adirondacks and back home. The MPG counter on the bike said 46.7.

I got 46.5 on a 5200 mile trip last month from Dayton, OH through Ontario, Gaspesie, NH, MA, the Adirondacks and back home. The MPG counter on the bike said 46.7.
My onboard mileage computer seems to be pretty close on my 2007. Ny 2005 was off a couple MPG.

My onboard mileage computer seems to be pretty close on my 2007. Ny 2005 was off a couple MPG.
Somebody stole the MPG computer on my '05. :blink:

I found it for you...

ABACUS.GIF

42-43mpg all day anost of that is at a good 80mph clip on the interstate. The FJR is far better than my C14. Premium Fuel and a gas tank that is a good gallon smaller make a big difference.

And the C14 gets sucky gas mileage, especially in the dryer, colder air of winter whereas the FJR stays consistent (has something to do with the air ram). I cant get better than 34-35 in the winter when temps are in the 40's. In the summer, the hotter the better, I get an even 39-40 but that is on premium.

My 10 with 3500 miles on started at 38.8 and has now gone to 41. I have a PC V and TB exhaust. I hope to see 42-44 and I will be fine. I will not ever see 50 MPG I am very sure of that. Right wrist, and a love of 3rd and 4th gear.