My accessories are killin' me!. Recommendations ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogdeb

Scouser
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Frank Thomas waterproof boots that I bought, --- don't know how many years ago :unsure: . They do fine while I'm riding but recently have started to give me hell when I walk or just stand around in them. They were good for walking in once upon a time --- how long does a pair of m/cycle boots last for anyway .. rhetorical.

What I'm needing here guys, if you please, are recommendations for a pair of decently priced boots (us limited income sorts can't afford the $1000.00 jobbies :eek: ) that give me great protection but will allow me to walk in without suffering the consequences :)

Can you help out a fellow rider with dropped arches here guys ? Please :( Yer the greatest, thank ya, thank ya, ta muchly :)

My relief will be your reward :lol:

Have you given any thought to finding one of those Dr Scholls semi custom orthotic stands (see their website)? If the outside of your boots are OK, the orthotics might help your walking and can be transferred into any new boots you buy later. At $50. they're cheaper than any boots you may find.

The inserts/insoles idea is a great one.

I have an old pair of cheap Joe Rocket boots that are like house shoes and about 2 years ago I bought a nice pair of Sidi's at a clearance sale because I figured the Rockets wouldn't make it through another season. The seams were splitting, needed new soles, and there never was much padding on the bottoms. A co-worker came back from lunch and his old beat office shoes were all polished up & looking new. He recommended talking to the shoe repair guy in the mall below our office. For $24, he made my Rockets truly better than new, so try a shoe repair place near you.

I'll get to those Sidi's...

...but not this week.

I recently bought a pair of Gaerne G-Adventure Boots

GRN-GADV.jpg

from atomicmoto.com for DSing and the FJR. Love them! They fit like a glove right out of the box. I can walk in them with no problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a pair of Alpinestars WebGoreTex touring boots last month. IIRC I paid $300. Since there was almost constant snow here around Calgary this spring, I wore them around the house making vroom-vroom sounds to keep from going fully insane. :dribble: So I managed to get them broken in.

They fit great and seem pretty easy to walk around in. They are a pretty simple looking boot too, without all the buckles and clips and technical bits that many boots have that appeal to the motocrosser or racer.

Ian

I've always sworn by my Tour Master Solutions. Never had wet feet, and they're all day comfortable, riding or walking.

After 3 years of daily use the liner ripped behind my heel. I went online to order replacements, and they're no longer available, not is the Solution 2 out yet. Price I've seen for the Solution 2 hover around 107 bucks. I'm waiting for availability emails from 3 different online stores.

The inserts/insoles idea is a great one.

I have an old pair of cheap Joe Rocket boots that are like house shoes and about 2 years ago I bought a nice pair of Sidi's at a clearance sale because I figured the Rockets wouldn't make it through another season. The seams were splitting, needed new soles, and there never was much padding on the bottoms. A co-worker came back from lunch and his old beat office shoes were all polished up & looking new. He recommended talking to the shoe repair guy in the mall below our office. For $24, he made my Rockets truly better than new, so try a shoe repair place near you.

I'll get to those Sidi's...

...but not this week.
Good advice here. Even if you spend $50. If then you're still unhappy, start looking for new boots (a tough job, really).

I've got a pair of 10 year old BMW :eek: boots that are like house slippers. So comfortable I forget to change them at the end of the day and often walk into town for dinner still wearing them. Don't look like "biker boots" either, fairly low profile. I think they cost $250 on sale but I've more than got my money's worth. But they definitely need a trip to the shoemaker for a buff job. :D

I feel your pain. I have an old pair of Gaerne boots that I've been wearing for many years. Had the zippers replaced, but now the velcro is going and the flaps won't stay closed. I have two pairs of newer boots, but they're not as comfy as the Gaernes, nor do they shift as well. I have tried sundry insoles in the newer boots, but none of them have worked all that well.

In your situation, I would be tempted to try the insole solution and see if you can't shim up your arches a little bit. If that doesn't work, I have a pair of barely used Sidi Dry Roads you could try...

Pete Bansen

Truckee, California

Sidi Canyon's, found 1/2 price at end of year sale some time ago. Awesome boots for riding or walking, any weather.

Just got the Sidi Vertigo boots. Quite comfortable to ride with, surprisingly comfortable to walk in. Really dig the air conditioner feature. 300 bucks.

0000-Sidi-Vertigo-Boots-Black.jpg

I've got a pair of Frank Thomas waterproof boots that I bought, --- don't know how many years ago :unsure: . They do fine while I'm riding but recently have started to give me hell when I walk or just stand around in them. They were good for walking in once upon a time --- how long does a pair of m/cycle boots last for anyway .. rhetorical.

What I'm needing here guys, if you please, are recommendations for a pair of decently priced boots (us limited income sorts can't afford the $1000.00 jobbies :eek: ) that give me great protection but will allow me to walk in without suffering the consequences :)

Can you help out a fellow rider with dropped arches here guys ? Please :( Yer the greatest, thank ya, thank ya, ta muchly :)

My relief will be your reward :lol:
First, join us next Saturday for theMt. Hamilton Ride. I got some Alpinestar Ridge Boots at Cycle Gear (Madison and Date near I-80). Nothing fancy at all, but comfortable to walk in, reasonably protective, and cheap, like about $100. They are Gore-Tex waterproof and I have stayed dry in heavy Midwestern downpours.

318mLy-OX9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Have you given any thought to finding one of those Dr Scholls semi custom orthotic stands (see their website)? If the outside of your boots are OK, the orthotics might help your walking and can be transferred into any new boots you buy later. At $50. they're cheaper than any boots you may find.
I've been wearing orthotics since I was 20 years old :( The boots already have the Dr Scholls in them (as do every other pair of footwear I have) and I swap around with my "custom" $300 orthotics from my Podiatrist.

Thanks for the replies ya'll. Some research and "trying on" is now in my future. Wish I could remember the name of my 2nd pair of boots. They were shorties but really comfortable. German I think. I was turned onto them because of a vendor's display at the San Mateo Bike show one year - he had them submerged in water.

I love my Oxtar Matrix boots (now under the name of "TCX X-Five" with a slightly different design IIRC). I've had them for going on 7 years now and they are still watertight (I do mink oil them occasionally). Absolutely comfortable all day...in fact, sometimes I'll wear them here at the office all day (now that shorts weather is upon us, I usually change out for normal shoes ;) ).

IMG_1216-e1303231103818.jpg

Last year I bought the Tourmaster Solution WP from new enough and I love them. For around $120. they are probably the most comfortable shoe I own. Rode back from WCR last fall in a typical Vancouver drizzle, <_< My gear soaked through, but my feet were warm and dry.

Thanks for the replies ya'll. Some research and "trying on" is now in my future. Wish I could remember the name of my 2nd pair of boots. They were shorties but really comfortable. German I think. I was turned onto them because of a vendor's display at the San Mateo Bike show one year - he had them submerged in water.
Daytona?

Being the cheapskate that i am i love to go to swap meets. I especially like the BMW swap meets. I went to one last year and found a pair of top-o-the line BMW boots barely broken in in my size for $50. Put them on, went in and compared them to the new ones on the shelf for $325. I put my orthodics in em and they are now custom. Score!!!

I am using these..

ROAM_WATERPROOF_BOOT__Medium_.jpg

Alpinestars Roam Waterproof

I love them so far, have been caught in pouring rain and kept my feet dry. Very comfortable to wear from DAY 1. Also, very comfortable to walk around in and if you pay attention to my ride reports, you know I do that a lot of that as well as riding.
tongue.gif

Remember, these are full length boots. I have not used them in the summer yet. I reckon they will get hot as most full length waterproof boots will.