My battle against vibrations and how I won

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRat

Reaction score
I think the PCV also made the engine a bit smoother...

Did the Throttle body and removed the secondary air hoses...

But the final nail on the coffin of the vibrations was adding a set of weigh bars to the end of the handlebars.

I found a set of end-weights from another cycle (I can't even remember which one) and taped it with duck tape to the end of the already heavy weigh I had installed. Then, a while back I bought some silicone replacement grips which I decided not to install because I did not want to tear the OEM grips out with the heat-wires and all.

So, I decided to try and see if I could stuff them over the top of the OEM grip. Sure nough, I succeeded. I wan't easy, I used a lot of soapy water and put gloves on so that my hands would not slip. But I finally shove those grip on. They are pretty thick, but for the throttle side that is a plus. I notice I have to switch to 'sport' mode when I am doing around 80 so I dont have to twist the throttle so much. This thickness help with that.

Zero vibrations. At exactly 4k rpm there is a minute remnant of the pesky vibration but you can't hardly even notice it anymore.

F I N A L L Y!!!! I got rid of that freaking vibration. This bike has just become a keeper.

I will put up pics, but you 'll have to tell me how. I am tired of trying to put pics from photobucket links in here

Cheaper, more elegant solutions:

Boxing-Gloves.jpg
20100730-lobotomy.jpg

posting on this board is like serving a theraputic catharsis plate for the off keel emo/s.

Poof!

FJRat,glad that you found the solution to filter the vibrations
smile.png

As for posting pictures:Click on get links, after click IMG code from photobucket,paste the link here,after click on More Reply Options,after Add Reply.That's it
smile.png

Try it and if you need more help we are here..
smile.png

As for this board,the life needs some good humor some times...
rolleyes.gif
smile.png
Do not misunderstand..

You will find great and well known guys here..
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are now happy FJRat. I did the band-aid's and all, and it certainly did help a lot.

Don't worry about the humor either, it's all in good spirit AND some of the guys here are immune to the micro vibration and don't feel it, so they just bust on-ya bawls a bit. Don't take it personal, ride smooth!

BTW- RFH's post gets the most-humorous-award. Those HD guys would take the FJR's vibration any day of the week!
wink.png

...Howies was good, Eric's Okay, but overused
wink.png

Do Gen3s vibrate? Are they that bad?
I will mention this thread to my Harley friends. They could use a good laugh.
So I got to do a good test ride on a Harley and while they shake your fillings loose at idle, once in gear and moving they are way, way smoother than the FJR.

Do Gen3s vibrate? Are they that bad?
I will mention this thread to my Harley friends. They could use a good laugh.
So I got to do a good test ride on a Harley and while they shake your fillings loose at idle, once in gear and moving they are way, way smoother than the FJR.
Oh boy, now you're start'n sum-tin... A Harley, and only 'way smoother' than an FJR, but 'way, way smoother' !?
ohno-smiley02.gif

FJRat,

Congrats on winning your battle against the vibrator. But now that it runs so smooth, don't get carried away. If you get running way faster than you think you are, you might find yourself in another battle (with Johnny Law). And don't count on winning that one...

smile.png

Gary

darksider #44

My FJR vibrates at higher engine speeds. It's most noticeable beginning at 4K+ rpm. It's disappointing that this threshold isn't a bit higher at 5K+ rpm. The balancing shafts can do only so much it seems.

I've spent too much time syncing the throttle bodies trying to find a bit more smoothness from the engine. It's fools' gold. I've gotten some positive results but not anything that significant.

I make adjustments and believe I've improved it. Then the next day the engine feels harsh again. I believe the vibes are affected by how much gas is in the tank, how hot the frame is, the ambient temperature, etc. Lots of variables seem to have an effect.

Of course the biggest cause for vibration is it's an in-line four with long stroke cylinders.

I find with my mcy gloves on and only a light grip on the handlebars, the vibration is really a non-issue.

Now if you don't wear gloves, or have a firm death grip on the bars, I can see that putting the fingers to sleep pretty quickly.

Now if you want an annoying vib. on a bike, try droning on an old CB550F.

Guess you won't be lane splitting with those extensions on there!

In all seriousness, good for you that you found out what works for you and your bike. Prob a reasonably prices solution as well.