My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What timing. 10 minutes after my last post the doorbell rang and there on my porch was a box from Germany! I can't install it today due to my wonderful sciatic nerve that is keeping me on the couch full of muscle relaxers and pain meds. Ahh, the wonders of growing old. I'll say one thing, it ain't for pussies. I do digress......pass the oxy please :stunned:

Impressions: well made, nice machining. Because it was made for the superior gen1 :tomato2: , no extra bolt covers needed. The shiny little inserts I already have fit nicely. It appears all the bolts you need are included. The thermometer is a nice touch, good quality, but is Celsius. No big, I can do the math in my head. *C X 2 - 10% + 32 = *F. It is solar powered and has a remote sensor. A rather nice bit of kit as they say in jolly old. The instructions are mostly in German, so it's all Greek to me. Heck, if it was really Greek I could just ask Mihalis to translate. The instructions I got are for the gen2, however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going on here. One problem though. I received no parts for cable relocation as shown in the photographic directions. Mihalis, maybe you can answer my question before I contact MV. Does the gen1 require these cable bracket relocators? I'll know for sure when I do the install, just won't be able to do it 'til I can stand up longer than 5 minutes at a time.

Nice product, got here (Seattle area) from Germany faster than most stuff I buy in the states. Price was reasonable, about $245 shipped. Nice farkle.

Sorry if this rambled on, could be the controlled substances talking. :pardon:

El jefe hombre azul

I like the MV Plate, it has made riding the FJR more sporty and comfortable, I have set mine all the way in, the same distance as my R1.

I know the FJR is not like a sport bike, but adding these plates has made everything much closer and compact for those quick mobility like a sport bike.

I like to ride close to the tank so that my arms and hands can rest at times.

These plates give me the additional option to comfortably sit back farther and still maintain the control I like, which is nice and tight!

I would recommend the plates, it has made riding even more funner :rolleyes: !

Last edited by a moderator:
What timing. 10 minutes after my last post the doorbell rang and there on my porch was a box from Germany! I can't install it today due to my wonderful sciatic nerve that is keeping me on the couch full of muscle relaxers and pain meds. Ahh, the wonders of growing old. I'll say one thing, it ain't for pussies. I do digress......pass the oxy please :stunned:

Impressions: well made, nice machining. Because it was made for the superior gen1 :tomato2: , no extra bolt covers needed. The shiny little inserts I already have fit nicely. It appears all the bolts you need are included. The thermometer is a nice touch, good quality, but is Celsius. No big, I can do the math in my head. *C X 2 - 10% + 32 = *F. It is solar powered and has a remote sensor. A rather nice bit of kit as they say in jolly old. The instructions are mostly in German, so it's all Greek to me. Heck, if it was really Greek I could just ask Mihalis to translate. The instructions I got are for the gen2, however it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going on here. One problem though. I received no parts for cable relocation as shown in the photographic directions. Mihalis, maybe you can answer my question before I contact MV. Does the gen1 require these cable bracket relocators? I'll know for sure when I do the install, just won't be able to do it 'til I can stand up longer than 5 minutes at a time.

Nice product, got here (Seattle area) from Germany faster than most stuff I buy in the states. Price was reasonable, about $245 shipped. Nice farkle.

Sorry if this rambled on, could be the controlled substances talking. :pardon:

El jefe hombre azul
Well..The installation is very easy!I believe you must not touch any cable or hose!All you have to do is,screw the MV adapter plate with the handlebars on like Heli risers and that's all.After that you can play with the angle adjustment to find your comfortable position.But for sure 100%,send an e-mail to MV and asked them.. ;)

Haven't had the opportunity to install and it's driving me mad! I'm having trouble with my back that prevents me from doing much of anything I enjoy. My life consists of pain pills, physical therapy and doctor appointments. :stunned: This forum is my FJR fix for now. I will post a review when I get it installed, hopefully in the next week or two.

Haven't had the opportunity to install and it's driving me mad! I'm having trouble with my back that prevents me from doing much of anything I enjoy. My life consists of pain pills, physical therapy and doctor appointments. :stunned: This forum is my FJR fix for now. I will post a review when I get it installed, hopefully in the next week or two.
I wish you feel better!!First the health..and all the others after....

I have a 2011 and it was very necessary to use the cable adapters and zip ties, otherwise it could not fit. At least that was the case for mine- I didn't want to use the adapters, but I was uncomfortable pulling on the cables. What great product though! Very happy! Does change the handling a bit.

I have a 2011 and it was very necessary to use the cable adapters and zip ties, otherwise it could not fit. At least that was the case for mine- I didn't want to use the adapters, but I was uncomfortable pulling on the cables. What great product though! Very happy! Does change the handling a bit.
From 06-12 models it is necessary to use the cable adapters..I believe not for 01-05 models..I think too MV make really good products..!!

I was feeling good enough to install the new riser on my Gen1. Installation is very easy. My bike already had heli risers, so I removed the bolts holding the bars and laid them forward on the fairing, using towels to protect the finish. Next removed the Heli risers. At this point I dicovered MV had shipped the riser with bolts that were too short, M8X25 mm. I ran down to the local hardware store and purchased 6 - 8mm X 1.25 X 40mm long socket head bolts. I used 4 of these bolts to secure the riser plate to the FJR upper triple clamp. The 40mm length secures the plate and engages all the threads in the triple clamp. The other 2 40mm bolts I used as the bolt nearest the tank that secures the handle bar to the clamp. This is a little long but engages all the threads in the nut it attaches to. For the remaining 4 bolts (2 on each side) securing the handlebars to the riser I used 30mm long bolts that I had on hand. These need to be shorter so they won't contact the triple clamp when tightened down. The only supplied hardware I used was the 8mm nuts that fit in the channels cut into the bottom of the riser plate. These channels are what allow angle adjustment. Anyway, if you have----

6 - 8mm X 1.25 X 40mm

4 - 8mm X 1.25 X 30mm

4 - 8mm nuts

you will have what you need to mount the riser. Having incorrect hardware from the factory is a negative but otherwise the product is nice quality. Oh yeah, the instructions were worthless unless your fluent in German. The instructions that I could make out were for the Gen2. On the Gen1 instructions really aren't needed.

With proper hardware and tools in hand this installation should take 30 - 40 minutes, and that's taking your time. All my cables reached easily. The hoses on the brake and clutch MC's need to be re-clocked. There is a stop on the clutch MC that prevents the perfect angle of departure but it's not bad. Be very careful to loosen the banjo bolts on the MC's just enough to move the fitting and you shouldn't have to worry about bleeding the lines.

There is quite a large range of adjustment, from almost dirt bike style flat to even more angled than stock. Most people should find a comfortable position. I suppose one could even bolt the Heli risers to it for an even higher bar but not sure cables and hoses would be long enough. The thing looks very much at home on the FJR, a very nice improvement. Looks just like the photos on the website. I haven't got to ride it yet (still on pain meds)but so far I'm well chuffed! When they pass the riding test I'll be putting the Heli's up for sale.

I was feeling good enough to install the new riser on my Gen1. Installation is very easy. My bike already had heli risers, so I removed the bolts holding the bars and laid them forward on the fairing, using towels to protect the finish. Next removed the Heli risers. At this point I dicovered MV had shipped the riser with bolts that were too short, M8X25 mm. I ran down to the local hardware store and purchased 6 - 8mm X 1.25 X 40mm long socket head bolts. I used 4 of these bolts to secure the riser plate to the FJR upper triple clamp. The 40mm length secures the plate and engages all the threads in the triple clamp. The other 2 40mm bolts I used as the bolt nearest the tank that secures the handle bar to the clamp. This is a little long but engages all the threads in the nut it attaches to. For the remaining 4 bolts (2 on each side) securing the handlebars to the riser I used 30mm long bolts that I had on hand. These need to be shorter so they won't contact the triple clamp when tightened down. The only supplied hardware I used was the 8mm nuts that fit in the channels cut into the bottom of the riser plate. These channels are what allow angle adjustment. Anyway, if you have----

6 - 8mm X 1.25 X 40mm

4 - 8mm X 1.25 X 30mm

4 - 8mm nuts

you will have what you need to mount the riser. Having incorrect hardware from the factory is a negative but otherwise the product is nice quality. Oh yeah, the instructions were worthless unless your fluent in German. The instructions that I could make out were for the Gen2. On the Gen1 instructions really aren't needed.

With proper hardware and tools in hand this installation should take 30 - 40 minutes, and that's taking your time. All my cables reached easily. The hoses on the brake and clutch MC's need to be re-clocked. There is a stop on the clutch MC that prevents the perfect angle of departure but it's not bad. Be very careful to loosen the banjo bolts on the MC's just enough to move the fitting and you shouldn't have to worry about bleeding the lines.

There is quite a large range of adjustment, from almost dirt bike style flat to even more angled than stock. Most people should find a comfortable position. I suppose one could even bolt the Heli risers to it for an even higher bar but not sure cables and hoses would be long enough. The thing looks very much at home on the FJR, a very nice improvement. Looks just like the photos on the website. I haven't got to ride it yet (still on pain meds)but so far I'm well chuffed! When they pass the riding test I'll be putting the Heli's up for sale.
Your installation review is very helpful!You should send an e-mail to MV and let them know your complaints(it is a must do thing) about the incorrect hardware and for the wrong instructions in German and for an other item(Gen2 instuctions),Let them know too that you are a member in fjr forum USA.They knows about this forum very well..!Let them know too that you see this product in this forum.If anyone buys it certainly would not like to not have the correct hardware and the correct instructions!!Anyway i believe it is a real good thing for our bikes..and i will buy just the same with yours with thermometer when i finish an other priority i have to do..(see the economy here in Greece is not very good) :(

Please if it is easy for you,would you can post some pictures from some angles and a little far from the bike to see how it looks totaly in the bike..We have seen many pictures from Gen2 installation,but your installing is the first for a Gen1..(perhaps in USA..?!) ;) :)

Ps.

Let me know if your bike is with ABS or not..?

Currently have the GenMar risers but these look very tempting. However, when finances improve, hopefully early next year, I see a Gen III finding its way to my garage. Wonder if these will work. Seems like they ought to, same set as far as I can tell. Maybe Warchild or Fairlaner know?

What about solutions for securing a Zumo GPS other than the customary top triple clamp nut replacement mount?
I've got my nuvi mounted via Ram holder and Techmount mount in the unused left mirror hole in the clutch master cylinder.
Do you recall the size/thread of bolt for that? Seems like the perfect spot for a RAM mount.

I have been reading this with great interest and want to thank all the people for posting their experiences with this product. I am not so much interested in moving the handlebars back towards me .It would be nice to raise them a little . The most important issue for me would be to push out (away from me) the bar ends. Is the general feeling that this product would do that?

What about solutions for securing a Zumo GPS other than the customary top triple clamp nut replacement mount?
I've got my nuvi mounted via Ram holder and Techmount mount in the unused left mirror hole in the clutch master cylinder.
Do you recall the size/thread of bolt for that? Seems like the perfect spot for a RAM mount.
It is 10mm x 1.25 pitch. This is the RAM ball that you need: RAM-B-349U

RAM-B-349.jpg

Thanks Rick

I am going to order it tomorow. Hopefully I will get it and have it installed so I can try it before the weather changes around here.

I think you will be happy with your purchase.

I really like mine.

It makes riding much more comfortable.

Also for me the MV plates made the bike feel more sporty, sharper angle towards you.

Just ordered mine tonight. I hope it feels better than the GenMar (I think) my bike came with. At least it'll look better!

It seems they are making progress in their marketing/support. I noticed a lot more of their site has been translated into English since I first started eyeing this part. Maybe they'll get to the instructions next.