My Impressions of the MV Motorrad Bar Riser

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my submarine -- years and years ago -- we used rubber gaskets to mount rotating and vibrating machinery to the deck. It does make a difference, but it introduces operational issues like flexing. For sub sailors, any reduction in vibrations and noise is worth the effort. Not so sure about an FJR, especially concerning "spongy-mounted" handlebars.

montanaman, you've got a Gen3. I use my cruise control a lot. A lot. Even on 30-minute rides, I click it on for two or three minutes to allow for scratching my nose, punching GPS buttons, providing middle-finger commentary (not often, really) to less-than-attentive drivers, waving at cute pedestrians and motorists, stretching my back, and relaxing my hands.

Maybe brief episodes of cruise control will help you alleviate the numbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What an awesome piece of hardware and what a company!

Ordered the MV Motorrad riser from the manufacturer Wednesday morning at 10 AM and had it in my hands, in New Jersey, Friday at 2 PM! Heck, There aren't many places, other than Revzilla, that get ordered stuff to me that fast.

I installed it on my 2013 in about an hour, thanks to this thread. Easy job with the only slightly "challenging" step installing the spacer for the brake lines. Just a little fiddly, that's all. Saturday afternoon I left on a ride that went for 493 miles over 25 hours. all I can say is WOW! what a difference. I have suffered from neck pain while riding. The new riding position took that away. Approximately 10 hours on the bike and my neck got just a little bit tight, nothing like the searing pain I would get after about 1-2 hours riding before.

I managed to get the riser installed in the rearmost position available for the handlebars without any trouble. Half the Yamaha emblem is visible in front of the riser. My riding position is now much more upright with arms hanging in a relaxed manner. Much more comfortable than the locked elbows position prior to the riser. I also notice less effort required in slow speed handling. The extra leverage provided makes a surprisingly favorable difference in the effort required to move the handlebars at slow speeds or when stopped.

Best $220 I've spent in a long time.

Another happy MV Motorrad rider ^^^^^^^
yes.gif

Welcome to the MV fan club!
smile.png

Also from what i see this thread has 53.688 + views and 441 replies...!!!

Probably one of the most active threads in the forum....

Just installed mine tonight.. took total of 75 minutes. The hardest is to install the mill spacer for the brake lines.

Once it was in, the rest went easy. It is help me be seated in the right position on my Sargent seat.

I placed my order with MV on 7/29/17. It's not here yet. I am glad I found is thread. I get sore shoulders and numb hands. It appears that this may do the trick. My price shipped in US dollars was $225.

I got mine this spring, and should have ordered as soon as I got the bike home from buying last fall. It took a couple of days to get used to the changes in position and repositioning, but IMO for me at 5'8" It is well worth the change. BTY I ordered direct and with the exchange at the time it was $202 to my door.

For me, the dhl part of the trip appeared to be the first leg of the journey till it got to the airport in Germany. There seemed to be a several day time lag when it got to the states (part of this time could be it was over the weekend). Mine once in the states came USPS. Total in transit time of 8 or 9 days.

Hope this helps.

Some have had it in their hands in 3 or 4 days, I was not so lucky.

For me, the dhl part of the trip appeared to be the first leg of the journey till it got to the airport in Germany. There seemed to be a several day time lag when it got to the states (part of this time could be it was over the weekend). Mine once in the states came USPS. Total in transit time of 8 or 9 days.
Hope this helps.

Some have had it in their hands in 3 or 4 days, I was not so lucky.
Thanks NBB. That may be my case as well. I ordered on a Saturday.

My riser arrived today. It's a beautiful piece. I do have a bone to pick with Mother Yamaha. The small hexkey bolt that holds the "L" bracket to the top block of the brake hydraulic lines must have red loctite. The bottom bolt that holds the three together did. After an hour I recruited my neighbor, a real machinist and no luck. No ez out, PB Blaster, heating with a soldering iron, nothing. Finally, we drilled it out. Total time of install is 5 hours and counting. Tomorrow we will be tapping and a new bolt. I could not believe it and neither could my neighbor. It's beer time.

My riser arrived today. It's a beautiful piece. I do have a bone to pick with Mother Yamaha. The small hexkey bolt that holds the "L" bracket to the top block of the brake hydraulic lines must have red loctite. The bottom bolt that holds the three together did. After an hour I recruited my neighbor, a real machinist and no luck. No ez out, PB Blaster, heating with a soldering iron, nothing. Finally, we drilled it out. Total time of install is 5 hours and counting. Tomorrow we will be tapping and a new bolt. I could not believe it and neither could my neighbor. It's beer time.
Job done..
smile.png
Now let us know your impressions about it after a ride...
rolleyes.gif

In a few months, you will chuckle and think, "All that sweat and swearing was worth it."

Done. I went for a very short ride. My shoulders and hands seemed to relax and I did not feel forced into the handlebars when braking. I'm looking forward to a longer ride. We are expecting a lot of rain today.

Once the difficult bolt was sorted out, installation went pretty smooth. I did have to open up two cable ties to get enough slack to mount the throttle side handlebar.

Mihalis, please add me to your club. I just went for a 50 mile ride. Wrists did not get numb. Shoulder did not ache. When braking, I did not have to push myself back in the seat. Everything just felt better. Thanks to those on the forum for such great advice. Thanks to MV Motorad for a great product.

Mihalis, please add me to your club. I just went for a 50 mile ride. Wrists did not get numb. Shoulder did not ache. When braking, I did not have to push myself back in the seat. Everything just felt better. Thanks to those on the forum for such great advice. Thanks to MV Motorad for a great product.
Hahaha,you are already in the club ...
punk.gif
smile.png

RERfjr posted: Mihalis, please add me to your club. I just went for a 50 mile ride. Wrists did not get numb. Shoulder did not ache. When braking, I did not have to push myself back in the seat. Everything just felt better. Thanks to those on the forum for such great advice. Thanks to MV Motorad for a great product.
Let us know if your opinion changes after a 500-mile ride. PS: there are a lot of us in the MV Motorrad fan club.

This thread is full of a lot of good and helpful information. Beside that, I felt compelled to post once again: "man Photobucket sure messed up a lot of very helpful threads all over forums all over the internet".

This thread is full of a lot of good and helpful information. Beside that, I felt compelled to post once again: "man Photobucket sure messed up a lot of very helpful threads all over forums all over the internet".
Seriously. I came to this thread looking for information about installing the MV plate, and most of the pictures are gone. I have one coming that I bought second-hand, and I'm pretty sure some of the hardware is missing (I am positive that the two cable relocation brackets are not included). Earlier in the thread, there is still a picture of the left side bracket, but nothing of the right side. Photobucket has destroyed forums across the internet with their shenanigans
uhoh.gif

Does anyone happen to have a drawing with measurements for the right side bracket?
smile.png

Seriously. I came to this thread looking for information about installing the MV plate, and most of the pictures are gone. I have one coming that I bought second-hand, and I'm pretty sure some of the hardware is missing (I am positive that the two cable relocation brackets are not included). Earlier in the thread, there is still a picture of the left side bracket, but nothing of the right side. Photobucket has destroyed forums across the internet with their shenanigans
uhoh.gif

Does anyone happen to have a drawing with measurements for the right side bracket?
smile.png
I believe if you send a email to the MV and ask from them to send you these two brackets,they will do it i want to believe.They sell many many of those pieces in US!Tell them that you are a member in fjrforum ''They know very well about this forum'' and that you bought it from a member and that these two brackets they were lost.Try it,you have nothing to lose..
smile.png

Why isn't someone in the United States selling these? I am going to order this plate as it is the best solution I have found to get the bars towards the rider more. My bike came with the little risers but they are pretty worthless. Navigating the MV website is the biggest issue but I will get through it.