My Ss1000 Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E.T.

Reaction score
I have been thinking about trying a SaddleSore 1000 ride, after reading the SS2000 Gold ride that sportrides did, I made my attempt yesterday.

Some rambling...

I have been on vacation since Thanksgiving and babying myself because of my hip hurting, probably from a pinched nerve, that has been bothering me since Thanksgiving. I started doing core exercises and stretches, and each day feeling better, then Friday, I made the decision to go for it. I secretly dreaded making that decision because it meant I needed to put a new tire on the front of the FJR if I were to take it for the 1000 mile ride. But making the decision to ride also brought a solution that I never pondered before, and that was... I have another motorcycle that would be capable of performing this ride that had decent tires... a Hondapotamus! The poor thing had not seen much daylight in the last couple of years since we got the FJR.... Soooo Friday I gave the Hondapotamus a general look-see and after some fresh air in the tires, decided it was good to go.

I had a nice evening with the wife and supper later with her and my brother and sister-in-law at the local Cracker Barrel. I was off to bed about 9 PM with the alarm set to wake me up at 3:30 AM so I would be able to hit the road by about 4 ish. Well, I woke up about 2 AM and decided to go ahead and get up, get ready, and leave since I was feeling okay with the hip.

Earlier in the week I used Google Maps to come up with a route I thought I would be happy with and entered that into my gps. Along with the route, I entered as many of the truck stops I could find along the route, so I would have those icons showing on the gps screen, for if I were to deviate from the “plan”. The route was sort of hour glass shaped with a common path that crossed in the middle of it.

The “plan”...

Basic: Take I-265 around Louisville to I-64 to Lexington, down I-75 to Knoxville and down to Chattanooga, crossing over to I-24 to connect with I-59 to run down to just outside Birmingham, almost halfway by then. Then I-459 and connect to I-20 on the outside of Atlanta and head up I-285 and take I-75 back to Chattanooga and cross back over a part of I-24 that I crossed earlier to continue North to Nashville to pick up I-65 back to Louisville. About 1030 miles.

What happened... some that wasn't part of the “plan”.

I didn't connect up to the bike electrically for the heated gear (that I was wearing) to work when I first left out. The first three hours were difficult as the temperature dropped into the lower 30's a lot (mostly 34) during the first couple hundred miles before reaching the first planned stop. I had looked at the forecast for all the major cities along the route and none of them mentioned 30's... all were I thought were 50's plus for the lows. I didn't think about all the in between locations.... brrrrrr

The first planned stop also brought to my attention that I had planned the route with the FJR in mind, as far as the distance between stops was concerned. That first stop, I pumped over 6 gallons back into the Hondapotamus!

The second gas stop between Chattanooga and Birmingham went just fine.

I had never been on I-59 and was surprised at the quality (or lack thereof) of some of the road surface. The right lane was something to stay away from. Thump, de-thump... de-thump... I rode most the way South on I-59 in the passing lane, moving to the right when another vehicle approached me from behind, and then pull back into the passing lane when possible.

I know now that I should have gotten my gas first before eating, just to get the time stamp at my next stop. As it stands now, I have to use my log entry to document my stopping time for this part of the journey. I stopped at the Cracker Barrel just outside of Birmingham for some breakfast (even tho locally it was closer to lunch time). After getting my receipts, food and then gas, I realized I was in a different time zone and later, (when processing my receipts), found out that the earlier stop up North was also in different time zone. I was able to use some information I had read linked at the Iron Butt site, (25 Tips), for my breakfast selection. Was nice to have a decent break.

Heading East on I-20 to I-285. I stopped on the outside of Atlanta (to document the other corner of my ride) just off of I-285. This brought another lack of detail to my attention. I had failed to research this stop thoroughly because when I pulled into the lane to enter the truck stop, there was a manned shack ahead of me. This place was a gated community! You had to be driving a truck to gain access. I had to turn around and get gas elsewhere... I was just wondering what those truckers were saying.. I got gas next door at a Shell station that looked abandoned. It was at that point I wish I were packing. So all this cost me some time... I guess you can never over research...

Running up towards Nashville from Atlanta brought to my attention that I again failed to throughly go over my route. When I got close to my next to last gas stop just South of Nashville, I checked the gps to see how far I was from the end and realized that if I just stopped 30 miles later for gas (which I had enough gas to do), I could eliminate the next planned gas stop. So I did just that and then called the wife to let her know my planned arrival time and off I go.

I'm on the last leg home! Just South of Nashville and it's getting dark. I remembered to change back to my clear face shield at the last stop, so I didn't need to stop to do that along the way. I also remembered to connect my electrics up! (Remembered my experience on my first leg of this journey) Now I was to experience something I didn't think of. I was getting tired/sleepy! I go to bed early and get up early, have been for years. I am feeling it now. The last part of this leg brought that to my attention.

I arrive at my ending location where my witness works and gas up to get my ending time slip. With most of the known details already filled in, I enter the missing details and get my witness to sign off and I head home.

Start 2:51AM, End 7:24 PM

I came away a changed man.

Congratulations Eric! Welcome to the fold.

And now that winter is near, that'll give you lots of time to plan your next dozen or so Cert rides. It does feel like quite the accomplishment doesn't it? Simply because it is!

Mike

Please let me be the first to tell you Congratulations!!!

You did great.

Your story reminds me a little of my first SS1K, on June 9, 2007. I remember stopping to change out my face shield at dusk, but I forgot to add layers, so it was a cold 3 hour last leg. At least I learned, and didn't do that again.

Please let us know what IBA number you get, so we can see how high they have gotten. My first IBA number was 32,692.

Now America should look like a smaller place to you from now on.

Congratulations E.T. on a successful SS1000! I hope I'm not going to be to blame for starting your insanity when it takes over all your waking moments.

Well done! I remember my first SS1000 about 18 months ago on a Goldwing. Since then it has pretty much taken over my life. Planning the next ride as I'm fighting fatigue completing the current ride. Gotta Love it. My first certificate arrived Dec 23, 2011 and that was the best Christmas present I could have gotten. I continue to learn with each ride. My recent SS2000Gold/BBG taught me about managing fatigue. My good friend Doug5551 has been a great sounding board for me since I started doing these rides always listening to my story usually with something about...yes, been there done that and I know exactly what you are feeling/going through. Offering much needed sage advice along the way.

Thanks for the ride report and look forward to hearing more!

Outstanding! Congratulations.

You'll never forget your first (the cold has a special way of freezing it into your memory) and never stop thinking about your next one.

WTG.

I had never been on I-59 and was surprised at the quality (or lack thereof) of some of the road surface. The right lane was something to stay away from. Thump, de-thump... de-thump... I rode most the way South on I-59 in the passing lane, moving to the right when another vehicle approached me from behind, and then pull back into the passing lane when possible.
Congratulations on completing your ride.

That I-59's a pip. The first time I rode it was on an ST1100, and it was horrible. It has not improved over the years. Its terrible on a motorcycle, terrible in a car, and terrible in a pick up truck. You'd think an Interstate highway would eventually get repaved correctly.

Great report!

There's so much to learn from these rides. Like the effects of the cold, that are so amplified when you're far from your next stop! I really underestimated the importance of staying hydrated and thought I was getting enough by drinking at stops. There's no question I'm a safer rider because of what I've learned so far!

Your story has me itching to go for a long ride! Thanks!

I don't write about many things, thanks for letting me share my personal experience.

I have enjoyed everyone's comments, Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your run! That's something to look back on and smile. :D

I just did two 680-700 mile sprints (NC->FL and back) during my vacation last week...both trips got me thinking I need to get an SS1000 out of the way as I felt great after each ride.