Need pictures of Skyway Hydration system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple more questions for those with hydration systems - what size ID tube is used to convey the fluid? What is more convenient - a straight bite valve or one that angles 90°? Thanks. :rolleyes:
My Camelbak has a 90 valve. Fits easily under the chinbar of the helmet when I want a sip. Never used a straight valve, but I'd think that would make for a difficult fit.

I've used the same system from Mark Johnson's page and just used a bungie to keep it on the rear footpeg. It never fell off the bike. I think the cover was more for aesthetics than anything. I could fill mine with ice, top it off with water and it was coooold until I needed a refill.

I used the ice-maker line from (any home center) and bought the hose and bite valve from a camping supply store. ($10-$15?)

I could be interested...

A couple more questions for those with hydration systems - what size ID tube is used to convey the fluid? What is more convenient - a straight bite valve or one that angles 90°? Thanks. :rolleyes:
I used the 38 or 40" camelbak insulated tube. I think it is 1/4" ID. I use the 90° bite valve, I thought it was easier to slip behind the chin bar of my ff helmet.

1/2 Gal jugs are easy to find. A good base plate and strap situation is where the value lies here. A bit of hose and bit fitting are no big deal. I used a dog dish for the tray, bolted it to the foot peg and bought some food grade tubing, done. It's ugly as hell, but works fine.

G, make up your base plates to accept a rok strap, trim those to the ideal length, do the tubing and bite valve and you're in like flynn. Bonus if you want to sew up neoprene covers to better insulate the jugs, but as you said, it's not that big a deal.

The value lies in a quickly detachable system so you can fill it with ice and water at stops. And the security of the system so it doesn't fall off.

The value lies in a quickly detachable system so you can fill it with ice and water at stops. And the security of the system so it doesn't fall off.
I think 3 straps will hold it down nicely; 2 will have quich-detach buckles. A prototype is in the works. :rolleyes:

1/2 Gal jugs are easy to find. A good base plate and strap situation is where the value lies here. A bit of hose and bit fitting are no big deal.
Completely agree. I think if you just build the base-plate to accept the most common size jug it will sell.

I've never removed mine from the bike to fill it. I buy a 1L bottle of chilled water in the c-store and maybe beg them to give me a cup of ice from their soda machine. Getting the lid off easily (within 15 seconds) would be adequate I think.

Can't wait to see the prototype pics!

I've never removed mine from the bike to fill it. I buy a 1L bottle of chilled water in the c-store and maybe beg them to give me a cup of ice from their soda machine. Getting the lid off easily (within 15 seconds) would be adequate I think.
That's one method. When I was using a gal jug, that method would require several trips with a large cup, and I've paid from 0 to $1.75 for the cup, depending on location. One pissy old gal even charged me for each cup of ice!

I prefer to fill the jug. Depending on conditions, I may fill it with ice and only toss in a half liter or so of water, but more often I fill it with water after filling it with ice. Being able to just stick it under the ice chute on the bank of the soda machine is quick, then there is water right there too. And sometimes that's free as well, since you aren't buying/using a cup. Most stores track cup use. I usually ask first, but in really busy, multi-feature stores, I often don't bother. The Subway/gas station/convenience store clerks are too busy to stress about a guy in full gear getting some ice for his jug.

Almost forgot, on rally time, the less interaction and line waiting, the better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's a CAD version of the system:

GarauldDethirstSystem.jpg

I have some straps and side-release buckles on order and hope to have one all done later this week for "testing". :rolleyes:

Pretty sure I want one. Once you get it squared away. Also what will be included?

Nice work for sure.

I'm gonna start a new thread as this is a somewhat different design from the other system.
With that...I think it's appropriate to close down this thread (unless the OP has issuee). Those interested in Garauld's efforts should go to this thread. Good job garauld! :clapping:

Status
Not open for further replies.