Need some bike advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Reaction score
I have a friend who wants to get a bike for $5000 or under. He has ridden dirt bikes in the past and took the motorcycle course. There are a few Concours C-10's with about 15,000miles in that price range. My question is what would be a good starter bike for him? Cruiser? Adventure? What would you recommend from your experiences. Thanks

I have found that most dirt bike riders can transition to the street very easily. I think he will have to try a few and see what suits his taste. Comfort & style are really subjective.

Tim,

Pending how tall he is, the C10 is rather top heavy. The Adventure (not sure which one you are talking about) are on the Tall side but have a lower Center of Gravity.

He would have to sit on one to see if it is comfortable to him.

Hope this helps...

I have a friend who wants to get a bike for $5000 or under. He has ridden dirt bikes in the past and took the motorcycle course. There are a few Concours C-10's with about 15,000miles in that price range. My question is what would be a good starter bike for him? Cruiser? Adventure? What would you recommend from your experiences. Thanks
My first question is what type of riding does he want to do... If it is street, then he needs to determine if he wants something that carves the road or cruises on the road? Does he want something that will keep up with your FJR or something that he can ride with a group? Does he want to use it off road sometime? You can find dual sport bikes that are a compromise that are adequate for the street and dirt. I don't think he will have trouble finding something in his price range but he needs to clearly define the type of riding that he wants to do... Many on this forum have multiple bikes so they don't have to compromise, but until your friend gets way more experience, he will probably have to find a bike that is good for just one thing. My wife rides a Honda Shadow 750 and it does all the things she wants it to. Riding that bike for me would drive me crazy... Rich

Tim,

A great bike in that price range similar to the FJR but about 100 lbs lighter is the GenI series FZ1.

The years run from '01-'05 and are sold in your friend's price range.

And just like the FJR, the vavle checks are done in 26k intervals and

#36 of Top 100 bikes by MCN For FZ1 Jan/2010.

Thanks for the advice. He says he wants to ride on weekends maybe a trip with the guys once a year. A few of the other new riders have gotten cruisers. I think he is someone who gets too much info and can't make a decision.

Then if he wants to test ride the FJR or the FZ1, pull 2 of the Plug Wires and he'll feel right at home with the cruiser guys.

2006YZF600R.jpg

If he can find a nice one this is one of the best bikes around for comfortable sporty riding. More than fast enough, handles great, and cheap as chips.

$2500 or so gets you riding, and when it's time for another bike there's little if any depreciation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a website I've referred folks to before. Posted by the guy--engineer,inventor, manufacturer, businessman, motorcycle aficionado--who makes "CalSci" windshields. In other words, he's into lots of things. I think he did a heck of a job putting all (well, lots of) his opinions and motorcycle experience in one place here. See the left side column about "Introduction to Motorcycles." Click on links like "Recommendations," etc.

I can't swear everything in it is "THE" best advice for everybody, but it's well thought out and well organized. Great info for a new buyer to consider before making that first purchase. Good luck to your bud.

Here is a website I've referred folks to before. Posted by the guy--engineer,inventor, manufacturer, businessman, motorcycle aficionado--who makes "CalSci" windshields. In other words, he's into lots of things. I think he did a heck of a job putting all (well, lots of) his opinions and motorcycle experience in one place here. See the left side column about "Introduction to Motorcycles." Click on links like "Recommendations," etc. ... Good luck to your bud.
+1

Mark at CalSci has opinions on everything; your buddy may not agree with them all but Mark states them so clearly that your buddy's level of understanding will be improved. I've had a couple long telephone conversations with Mark discussing windshield options and came away smarter, and smiling, every time. Sometimes shaking my head, but smiling.

CalSci refers obliquely to Mark's alma mater of Cal Tech. As an MIT alum, I'd say that despite his "education" Mark does a pretty good job.

"CalSci refers obliquely to Mark's alma mater of Cal Tech. As an MIT alum, I'd say that despite his "education" Mark does a pretty good job. "

Yes, but his business partner is a OSU Buckeye, his name escapes me.