Need some BMW Assistance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BullCBX

Reaction score
Over the years I have been associated with this forum, the willingness to assist a fellow rider has always been one of our best qualities. Well, I have a dear friend who is in need of help and I told him I would post this message to see if anyone here might be able to offer a suggestion. My friend is a kool-aid partaker, and unfortunately, has suffered the dreaded drive shaft failure on his K1200RS and is looking for a replacement. It is understood the parts are available from BMW new, but he is looking for a more “cost affective” solution. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can supply a contact for a good used parts source. It is my understanding he is looking for something from a 1998-2004 K1200 RS or GT. Again, we figured getting the word out would not hurt, and who knows, something might turn up. Thanks for your interest and if you have any leads, please let us know.

Thanks-BullCBX

I've got a friend who just replaced his final drive on his K1200LT... I think it's 99 or so. Anyway, he's available for questions, but not for parts... if that's of any help. He knows that machine inside out. Let me know.

Gary

darksider #44

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/33112332378g.html +1, Gunny; FJRay has made good recommendations for those two sources. I personally use Beemer Boneyard for all of my needs, whether maintenance or any replacement items. Mention Don Stanley/BeemerDonS, they'll treat you right and they know me! $375 for this final drive with 25K miles on it versus $1,450 for a new unit from BMW Dealers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Check with Beemerdons or petey. I think they are koolaid drinkers. :rolleyes:
Check with Herr Petey only if you need any parts for your Tohatsu "Romping Sport", Mein Kamerad only drinks warm sake these days!

Need Beemer info contact Senor Stanley, Ich bin ein Kool Aid drinker! Jawohl Arnie, es geht mir gut! Deutschland uber Alles, Schatzie!

E63LA04.JPG

There were 8 of us running the Puppy Dog Route thru Vermont last week. A KLX250, 2 - KLR 650's (one old gen, one new gen), a KaTooM 640 ADV, an airhead R100GS PD, and one each R1150GS and R1200GS (spankin' new), as well as me on my Man-Strom. None of us had a lick of trouble, 'cept the 1150GS. When we stopped at one rest break we all noticed it was doing a Hardley Ableson impression and marking its territory. At first I was thinking final drive, but on closer inspection it appeared to be a weepy output shaft seal from the tranny. I shudder to think of the repair cost of that.

Those Beemers just ain't what they used to be. (The Paris Dakar air head ran flawlessly BTW).

Oh yeah... I'm just here for the moral support. :p

Check with Beemerdons or petey. I think they are koolaid drinkers. :rolleyes:
Mark, this picture of petey on his then brand new 1977 BMW R100RS was taken 35 years ago and those were his Girlfriends at the time: Dagmar und Liese!

Herr Petey really hasn't changed much over the years, has he! Nicht wahr?

ogilvy-bmw-girls-grayscale.jpg

Herr Petey finally dumped the Italian girl Maria and started dating a nice English girl, who owned a fantastic BMW R69S of course!

tumblr_lst8bvSN6r1qjwc29o1_500.jpg

But, petey eventually became bored with Julie and promptly moved back to another pretty German girl: Elke!

774707612_YXLGE-M.jpg