New BMW 1000 RR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now you know why a track is safer than public roads when trying to break the throttle cables and boil the brake fluid.

Sorry to throw a serious question in amongst all this good levity, but...

I've never done a track day before (yet) but have definitely considered it for the obvious reasons.

If (or when) one "wads it up" like this, what are the odds that an insurance company would be parting with any of their money to cover it?

One of the biggest reasons I've not yet done one (track day) is this very concern. I realize that it is probably safer riding at 10/10ths on a track than at ~ 8/10ths on the street, and I am totally convinced that there is a lot for this wimpy rider to learn from doing that, but my financial situation and moth bitten wallet could not withstand the blow of a total loss on any one of my bikes.

So what is the straight scoop? Do you have to buy special insurance for a track day or what? What about on a new, out of the box BMW liter bike? Was this guy just too rich to care?

My insurance has a clause that makes using the bike on a track or for racing makes the contract null and void basically. No coverage !! Most of the guys that race here don't plate their track bikes and they don't have insurance on them either. Everything gets trailer-ed out to the track. You sign the waiver at the track and you assume all the costs to trashing your bike... hence the incentive to not 'wipe out'. Have to say, the bar between pushing hard and crashing is darn close. You are pushing the bike at 8/10ths or 9/10ths of its capacity (more likely rider's capacity for the average track rider), so kissing the ground is bound to happen at some point if you get enough track days in.

Bummer to see the BMW in a banged up state, glad the rider is OK. Have to admit, I had some laughs at some of the comments here... could have happened to a shit load of us. So no comment on my behalf as to the rider's abilities. Even the best go down at some point.

Good point about the plate still being on there and the tire choice. My guess would be the rider didn't have much track experience and rode beyond his ability. Most of the hard core track guys have dedicated bikes and run tire warmers with the latest/greatest rubber and track plastics. I could be wrong though...it's happened once or twice before!

I had the opportunity to spend the day riding an S1000RR at the California Superbike School. The bike is a beast! But at the same time with all it's electronics it's still very forgiving. By the end of the day I was tired of doing drills and just wanted to see what it was like to do a few hot laps so I pushed as hard as a dared. I had fun scaring the piss out of my self a few times but the gizmos saved stepped in and saved my bacon.

As good as the bike is, the electronics could not turn me into Casey Stoner. I think if I pushed a little harder I would have found out that physics is just physics.

The crash was caused by the tires????!!!!! Geez if I always went with Dunlop's or Michelin's I would never crash...cool!

I've never put my S1000 in slick mode, even at the track. Because it requires removing the seat and I'm not good enough to wring it out without the rider aids some hate...you know that crap traction control and ABS?

Some insurance companies have covered the wrecked bike at the track, leathers, and helmet. Those particular incidents happened at Streets of Willow at Reg Pridmore's CLASS. Which is termed a Street Riding School. My friends who crashed had their bikes and gear covered by the insurance company. If it was a race the insurance would not likely cover. I don't know which insurance company they had, if this was an unusual thing for insurance companies to do or what. I just know of 2 cases where the loss was covered.

I'd love one of those. Not that one though.
bike.gif

Joe

Insurance is state-specific so coverage can vary across states by Company and obviously by Company within a State. Here in NJ, Statefarm does not cover Track Days, which i'm defining as "non-racing" ones. But other companies in NJ do. I changed the policy for my R1 to non-Statefarm for this very reason. $200 more per year but the peace of mind is worth it in case of major F-up.

Sheez,

Insurance, are you kiddin me?

Nobody I know even carries insurance on there race bikes, only because we've all crashed them so many times we've all stopped counting our get-offs and are just glad to be alive at this point. When you're doing a buck sixty down the back straight and there's a high speed right-hander coming up, you're staring at a sea of sand, and the tire wall is staring you in the face and if that's not enough, you're trying to remember if that was the 200 or the 100 brake marker sign you just blew past, and Oh yeah! if that's not enough to keep your attention, the guy right next to you is drifting out into your race line, trust me on this one, nobody is even remotely concerned whether one has insurance or not. All you're trying to do at this point is get this test behind you, and start setting up for the off camber left-hander that's now challenging the brakes to the point that your brake fluid is boiling............well you get my point!!! Repeat this illustration 12 more times, for 10 more laps and trust me nobody's concerning themselves with "I wonder if my insurance company is going to cover my bike if I miss this corner and wadd-up my new Beemer" Just a few thoughts on a cold winter night.

And while I'm ranting Notre Dame is getting there ass's kicked!!!!!!

But hey, what do I know!!!!

Dastardly Dave

#65 MotoSeries

Some of the boys are trying to get to Jennings race track in Florida in the next couple of weekends, hopefully we won't witness any screw-ups like the one at the beginning of this thread. Anybody out there in cyber-space ever been there, it's a great track to do a couple of track days mid-winter.

Just Sayin!!!!!!

Dave. #65 MotoSeries

Sheez,
Insurance, are you kiddin me?

Nobody I know even carries insurance on there race bikes, only because we've all crashed them so many times we've all stopped counting our get-offs and are just glad to be alive at this point. When you're doing a buck sixty down the back straight and there's a high speed right-hander coming up, you're staring at a sea of sand, and the tire wall is staring you in the face and if that's not enough, you're trying to remember if that was the 200 or the 100 brake marker sign you just blew past, and Oh yeah! if that's not enough to keep your attention, the guy right next to you is drifting out into your race line, trust me on this one, nobody is even remotely concerned whether one has insurance or not. All you're trying to do at this point is get this test behind you, and start setting up for the off camber left-hander that's now challenging the brakes to the point that your brake fluid is boiling............well you get my point!!! Repeat this illustration 12 more times, for 10 more laps and trust me nobody's concerning themselves with "I wonder if my insurance company is going to cover my bike if I miss this corner and wadd-up my new Beemer" Just a few thoughts on a cold winter night.

And while I'm ranting Notre Dame is getting there ass's kicked!!!!!!

But hey, what do I know!!!!

Dastardly Dave

#65 MotoSeries
Sounds alot like the back straight at Mid-Ohio.

Hey guy's, That is one great guess, Why? Because that's exactly what and where I was describing. Mid-Ohio great place to practice, greater place experience!!!!!!! Although I do much of my club riding at Nelson Ledges in the Cleveland area. No where near as nice as Mid Ohio but its close. Hope to meet up with some of you in the future.

Dastardly Dave #65

I got one day at NL in while up there. Spent the entire day trying to convince my brain that there was traction to be had on that pavement. Even watching instructors fly around there I kept playing mind games with myself.

Spent two days at MO corner working for Keith Code and getting to ride every couple of sessions. This experience served as one of the finest examples of the goodness of motorcycle people. One of the other guys corner working was recovering from an injury but insisted on riding anyway. In the afternoon the clip holding my fuel line to the fuel rail on my GSX-R600 went missing. No clue about it but under pressure the line won't stay on by itself so it had to be there most of the day. Me out of commission, the guy with the injury says "Hey, I'm done for the day with my arm, take my GSX-R750 for the rest of the day." Who says that? Awesome folks. Spent that night fixing my bike up with safety wire and zip ties and was good for the whole next day. Woohoo, what a fantastic track!

Insurance can cover bikes used for a track day. It is rider training and not a competitive event. Mine turns off as soon as I am racing for time or against a field. Check with your agent and see!

Some of the boys are trying to get to Jennings race track in Florida in the next couple of weekends, hopefully we won't witness any screw-ups like the one at the beginning of this thread. Anybody out there in cyber-space ever been there, it's a great track to do a couple of track days mid-winter. Just Sayin!!!!!! Dave. #65 MotoSeries
I've done a boat load of hot laps at JGP. It's a great small bike track but I think you will get quite a work-out hustling our 600 lb FJR around that place. Now, Road Atlanta would be mui FUN on the FJR.

Anyway, a winter track day is great fun, just bring your R6 or SV 650!!!

Your absolutely correct it is by far the worst track I've ever run, that being said, it's right in my backyard so for weekends it's perfect. Plus despite the horrible track surface, it makes the smooth tracks just that much nicer. And Oh Yeah did I mention its in my backyard.

Dastardly Dave #65

I was in Parma, so yea, I know how much it's in your back yard. Not quite as in the back yard as my buddy who lives less than 7 miles from MSR in Cresson TX, and is also a member there. Bastard runs down there on the weekends, does a session or two and comes home.

Gixxerjason,

Did you happen to check out my pics of the "Wadded-Up" 1000rr on page 1 of this post. That's from the old Beaver Run in PA.

To think to that he walked away from that "Get-Off" amazing!

Dastardly Dave. #65