New coat for the '03

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankenfeejeer

Reaction score
I decided it was time to finally get my bike a single color. After saving it from a salvage yard, re-piecing it together from 6 other bikes, swapping out the frame, and riding it for over 50k miles, it was time.

Many thanks to the multiple threads regarding disassembly, they were very helpful!

After 3 weeks of sanding, sanding, and more sanding, it was time for paint. Here is our painting contraption:

IMAG0376_zpsvy9fnvw6.jpg

Here is a photo of the bike in seal coat, which was needed to get the different colored pieces ready to go.

download_20160528_174304_zpszlcnkdzo.jpg

Since my wife didn't think pink was a good color for me, better add a different color!

download_20160528_174313_zpswf0hqffq.jpg

Then it's time for some clearcoat:

IMAG0383_zpsit8rs78v.jpg

Finally reassembled and ready to go!

IMAG0386_zpsnbrujvmf.jpg

Lots of work, tons of fun, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. See you out there!

Great job on the paint job! It's always cool to see different aftermarket colors.

Very nicely done. I've been thinking of repainting my girl, since she decided to take a street nap on me last fall. I'm undecided on color, but the current leader is similar to yours. Thanks for posting up the pictures. Do you by any chance have any "before" pics? I wouldn't mind seeing those either....

Very nicely done. I've been thinking of repainting my girl, since she decided to take a street nap on me last fall. I'm undecided on color, but the current leader is similar to yours. Thanks for posting up the pictures. Do you by any chance have any "before" pics? I wouldn't mind seeing those either....
Thanks! It's probably best to keep it a secret that the color is from a Hyundai Veloster;) Vitamin C Orange.

Here is a before photo:

fjr_zpsoz4wue6y.jpg

Thanks! It's probably best to keep it a secret that the color is from a Hyundai Veloster;) Vitamin C Orange.
I was going to guess that *Corvette copper.

I love it. Good job!
smile.png

*edit*

It's called Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see anything wrong in the before photo, but I do see a hell of a lot of right in the after. Again, well done.

Looks sweet!! The black wheels seem to fit much better with the new color than with the silver. Your front rotors are pretty cool too!

Thanks a ton!

Still need a few finishing touches. Ordered new decals from Bike Bandit (won't deal with them again), and the cowl nuts are being changed to black.

I'll post a finalized finished photo when thats done.