New cruise control get flaky with time/miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
** EDIT **

Oops, sorry guys. I went back and read the previous posts in this thread, so clearly you have tried many of these things. Please read with a box of kosher salt... Clearly there is something repeatable happening here, but the root cause has not been identified yet (genius, I know).

I would add that perhaps some serious looks at the electronic signals is in order: put a scope on the power lines and make sure the signals are clean. Perhaps seperate the power source of the bike altogether and run it with a 12V battery? Otherwise, perhaps a call to AV will help. Does the unit issue and fault codes via an LED or anything? (Sorry, dont remember, mine has worked since day one).

** END EDIT **

I think in order to solve this problem, you guys need to break it down into its fundamental parts:

1. It doesn't sound like the temperature is the problem. Do any of these engage and work for a bit even when hot? If so, it is not the temperature. If a cold unit works at first, then stops working and will not re-engage when hot, then temperature is the problem. But if they do re-engage when hot, it is likely not an over-temp problem. Plus, those who have it not working under the seat generally proves temp is not the problem.

2. If the unit works fine, then stops working, my guess is it is not a vacuum problem. Nonetheless, I would tee in a vacuum gauge and watch it real time. If the vacuum level stays consistent, then move on to the next step.

3. If the unit works fine, then stops working, my other guess is it is not a linkage problem. If the unit can generate the force needed to torque the butterflys at first, that should not change.

4. If the brakeline voltage is suspect, temporarily remove it altogether. Disconnect the brake switch wiring from the CC, and test it out. Does it work now? If so, there's the problem. (BTW, make sure you have the power switch hooked up to power down the CC when you need it to disengage!). This may be ultimately be fixed by a relay (mentioned above), though I would go solid-state on this one for reliability. Oh, and for the test, you may need to pull the signal line to GND or +12V (can't remember - its been a while since I did mine).

5. I'll maintain that it is not the tach line. It wouldn't work at all if it was. Anyway, to test this, why don't you switch to the magnetic sensor, and temporarily put the magnet on the wheel and go for a spin?

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
1. It doesn't sound like the temperature is the problem.
When I first installed the unit I only had vacuum off one cylinder with a vacuum cannister, and when it needed to pull a hill or run against a strong wind it would not hold speed and then kick out. After utilizing vacuum from all cylinders this went away. However, a new problem cropped up shortly after and I'm almost 100% sure that it is heat related.

My servo is mounted below the tank. Below 70 degrees ambient temp it will work just fine. When at 70 or so and above if I stop and take a break, letting things bake under the tank for a bit, when I take off it will kick out at random times from immediately to after a minute or so of being set. After about 20 minutes running down the highway and things have cooled off under the tank, it's back to working. As outside temps climb higher, the higher the likely hood of the unit acting up. If it's 95 degrees out and I go and cold start the bike, it will work fine on the highway. But stop and take that break or get caught in stop and go, it will start to act up immediately and keep acting up until you've run quite a ways to get things cooled off under the tank. Even then at the higher temps into the 90's it may still kick out at random times, especially when pulling a hill.

I've obtained some heat wrap that a buddy uses to wrap turbo chargers on some race cars. I'm going to wrap it around the servo here in the near future and see how that works. Hopefully getting it somewhat insulated against the heat will help relieve this problem. While these servos are built to take some heat, I don't think they are designed to lay against a heat source like the valve cover, or the engine coolant pipe, like it does. In fact I think the AVCC manual states not to mount the thing directly to intake manifolds and such.

All that said, my problem seems to be a heat related problem from my perspective, but that doesn't answer why many others are having problems when the servo is mounted under the seat. Under the seat should not generate anywhere near the heat that under the hood of a car can so I would think heat is not the issue there.

I am curious if there is anyone out there that has mounted the servo under the tank that is not having ANY problem with how their unit is working?

I have received a reply. It is of little use as I cant register from Australia. Maybe someone from the states can take this up. You may let them know that their customers can't contact them via the internet. https://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/vo...enduser/ask.php[/COLOR]

Cheers Hans :assassin:

***** This is an automated response. Please do not reply to this email.

Thank you for contacting Audiovox. The Webmaster email account appreciates

your comments and suggestions regarding the Audiovox website. This is not

a customer service account, however we occasionally receive questions and

concerns about products, warranties and other items of a customer service

nature.

We have found that most questions can be easily answered. If you have a

problem that falls into one of the categories below, you can click the item

to see important information that may help you solve your problem

immediately. If you need a part, an accessory or a repair, please click

the item "I need someone from Customer Service to contact me." They will

be glad to assist you. If your problem or message to us does not fall into

one of the categories below, it will be routed to an individual to handle

directly.

Can't purchase products online? CLICK HERE

or cut and paste this URL:

https://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/vo...php?p_faqid=798

Problems accessing the pages in the online store? CLICK HERE

https://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/vo...php?p_faqid=799

Need someone from Customer Service to contact you? CLICK HERE

https://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/vo...enduser/ask.php

Have an item that needs repair? (Please login and begin a repair ticket)

CLICK HERE

https://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/vo...enduser/ask.php

Need to get an owners manual? CLICK HERE

https://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/vo...php?p_faqid=784

Problems downloading a manual? CLICK HERE

https://voxrightnow.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/vo...php?p_faqid=797

For all inquiries regarding cellular phones and PDAs, please contact

UTStarcom at 1.800.229.1235. Their web site is: www.utstar.com

Web Services,

Audiovox

180 Marcus Blvd

One more piece of info to add.

I have noticed that the AVCC seemed to work better if the weather was colder. Well now I know for sure.

This morning I road my bike to an out of town seminar. About 70 miles one way on the interstate at an average speed of 77 mph and the temp never got above 34. Climbs and drops are mellow piedmont region elevation changes. This morning the temp never got over 34 degrees. The AVCC worked perfectly. :yahoo:

I used the same roads to return in the late afternoon. The temp was in the around 55. After 30 miles the AVCC got flaky and would release on slight inclines or at random. :(

34 degrees = perfect for 70 miles

55 degrees = flaky after 35 miles and then gradually worse

95 degrees = this thing sucks

Tax rebate = McCruise

I had an 04A with AVCC. Installed it myself. Never a problem. Now have an 06 with AVCC. Again installed it myself. Suffers the same disengage when warm and under load symptoms decsribed in this thread. It is properly installed.

Well, I think I'm going to relocate mine to the storage tray. I went out last week and the cruise worked for 25 miles, then stopped. 32-34 degrees. I've never had it work that long before.

When I have some time I'll reloace the unit, but still don't think it is going to help much. I also have a new unit but hate to open the box if I'm not 100% convinced that it will fix the situation. Has anyone got them to work on the 08's?

I have no experience with an AVCC, but I wanted to mention one thing I haven't seen discussed.

Have you checked the voltage regulator output? Starting a bike will drain the battery somewhat, so it will be charging for a few minutes. After that the generator will be under less load and the output voltage might change.

That would be a possible explanation for why the Gen II bikes have a problem - the charging circuit is different.

Last edited by a moderator: