new here lookig to buy a 2017 yamaha fjr1300es

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

postman808

Reaction score
Account notified to clear up the post or be flagged as spammer.
looking to buy a 2017 white,, not police bike yamaha fjr1300es with ak20 axxion shocks,, problem suspension warning light wont go off,,questions,, should i replace with original shocks or if no how do i get the warning light off

Odd for an FJR to be white and not a police version. Must have been repainted. So look for tell tale signs of a slide.

BTW I assume you mean forks when you say shocks. I'm guessing the susp light is on because the stock internals have been replaced with AK20 cartridges which are not adjustable via the ES controller. The Traxxion AK20's are superior to the stockers but I'm guessing you won't be able to turn off the light.

I spoke with Dan @ Traxxion Dynamics today regarding upgrading my suspension (2016 ES model). He mentioned they just unplug the forks and shock, so the warning light is going to come on. I had their full suspension install on a Goldwing, just wondering how much improvement will be on the FJR ES. Anybody else make the upgrade with the ES?

I know of no one who has made that change. I am not even sure I would call it an upgrade. I know of two folks who installed the ES USD forks on an 'A' model. One put the OEM ES forks on and can change settings via his laptop. He is pretty suspension savvy and thinks the stock ES forks are pretty damned good. The other put the AK20s in the ES USD forks and installed on his A model. I have been wanting to do the latter upgrade to my '13 A but it is a pricey proposition!

If you want to upgrade both shock and forks of your ES - I hate to say it, but sell it and get an 'A' model, then do the mods.

As for how much improvement I would say that depends on how much you and your passenger weigh, and how you ride. And how good you are at properly dialing in a good aftermarket suspension.

I have an '09 with Racetech Gold valves and heavy springs in the forks with an Ohlins shock with heavy spring. I have an '04 with Wilbers shock and Ak20s. I have a recently acquired '09 with Penske and Ak20s. And I have two ES FJRs - one a 5-spd and one a 6-spd. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.