New Member from Traverse City, MI

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TC_Rider

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Went and looked at a 2014 (non-ES) FJR with just under 10k on the clock. Was planning to buy that bike until I saw that I can buy a new 2023 FJR with ES for $15k in West Virginia. Not sure what I'll ultimately do. In any case the FJR will be a stable mate (for a time) to my '23 KTM 1290 SAR and MY '23 BMW 719 R Nine T. I miss having a true sport tourer, which is why I'm adding a third bike (which my wife assures me I don't need) to the stable. I look forward to the FJR discussions on the forum. In the meantime, if anyone can provide their opinions and experiences about whether the '23 is worth the extra dosh over the '14 it would be much appreciated. For the sake of your responses you can assume both are good deals and that either is within by budget.

Welcome from metro Seattle! What's the right number of bikes to own...one more than you have!!

FJRs haven't changed significantly in recent years although with the '23 you're gaining ES suspension and a 6-spd transmission. Which bike to buy? Depends on your feelings towards a 6-spd and if you want to install aftermarket suspension. I'm guessing the '14 is likely half the cost of the '23 too. Either one will make a great mount. Money no object...I'd go for the '23.

Good luck!

~G

Welcome from metro Seattle! What's the right number of bikes to own...one more than you have!!

FJRs haven't changed significantly in recent years although with the '23 you're gaining ES suspension and a 6-spd transmission. Which bike to buy? Depends on your feelings towards a 6-spd and if you want to install aftermarket suspension. I'm guessing the '14 is likely half the cost of the '23 too. Either one will make a great mount. Money no object...I'd go for the '23.

Good luck!

~G
Thanks for the reply -G! Much appreciated.

That $15k is freaking awesome deal. Especially considering back in 2004 the 'A' model had an MSRP of $12,600. Depending on how much the '14 is, I would be all over that.

More detail: I am a fan of the ES suspension. But it might not be ideal for you if you on the heavier side. Or, you like high dollar aftermarket performance suspension bits and know how to set them up properly. Other advantages of the '23 is the LED lighting (awesome) and the slipper clutch. Owning both 5-speed and 6-speed FJRs, I have a slight preference for the 5-speed.

How much did they want for the '14?

That $15k is freaking awesome deal. Especially considering back in 2004 the 'A' model had an MSRP of $12,600. Depending on how much the '14 is, I would be all over that.

More detail: I am a fan of the ES suspension. But it might not be ideal for you if you on the heavier side. Or, you like high dollar aftermarket performance suspension bits and know how to set them up properly. Other advantages of the '23 is the LED lighting (awesome) and the slipper clutch. Owning both 5-speed and 6-speed FJRs, I have a slight preference for the 5-speed.

How much did they want for the '14?
@SkooterG - Thanks. The $15k is calling my name. I'm a sucker for a bargain. Therein lies the problem, the new bike is a great deal and I can buy the '14 model with 10k miles on it for $6,750 - which also seems like a great deal. Decisions, decisions. First world problems I guess.

Last edited:
@SkooterG - Thanks. The $15k is calling my name. I'm a sucker for a bargain. Therein lies the problem, the new bike is a great deal and I can buy the '14 model with 10k miles on it for $6,750 - which also seems like a great deal. Decisions, decisions. First world problems I guess.
The decision is made simple by going with the one in the middle, a well farkled 2018 for $12,500! (Shameless plug by Jevers)

Traverse City, MI....that brings back memories of being a 5th grader with a broken leg, courtesy of the icy Boyne Highlands ski resort, and how loud I yelled when the Dr. set it. Good Times.

I haven't ridden the 6-speed yet but I think the 5-speed is the better of the two. Yamaha did a recall on all the early 6-speed transmission to install a couple of upgraded internals and tweak the software. It mystifies me why Yamaha made 1st gear in the 6-speed taller than in the 5-speed....Go figure.

Welcome.

My vote would be the "amazingly red" 2014 with under 10k miles on it for $6,750. Leaves a LOT of room for farkling, engine and saddle bag gurads ($400), new seat ($400-700+), bar risers ($200+) and anything else it might need. I got a clean well maintained 2013 in Dallas area back in January with 24k miles for $5200. I've spent about $2000 on it afterward on items mentioned above and including some faring, mirrors and saddle bags repaint. She looks and runs like new. OTOH, the 2023 Cobalt blue is awesome as well. Note: You will find a virtual 50/50 mix here of fans for both the 5 vs 6 speed (many say they like the 6 speed, many others say it doesn't need it as the 5 speed will run 140mph+) as well as folks that prefer the A (no-electronic suspension) vs the ES (elecetronic suspension). IMO, you cannot go wrong... Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome to this loverly bunch'o coconuts! I'm in Indiana these days but my sons and my ex are still in the Southeast part of Michigan. My niece and nephew own property in the Boyne/Traverse area. Beautiful part of the state.

Having owned both a 2008 A and a 2016 ES I can say I prefer the 2016 in most respects. The LED lighting is amazing. The slipper/assist clutch is also very nice. The 6-speed is a teensy bit more relaxed at highway speeds but that's really the only benefit I think that provides. That and I don't try to shift into 7th as much as I did 6th on the older bike. :) I think the 5-speed shifted smoother than the 6-speed but that could just be my imagination. Other benefits of the newer bike: instrumentation is nicer and more customizable, styling of the nose, cruise control and heated grips are standard. Cost no object? The 2023 is a no-brainer at that price and you get a warranty to boot!

Hello everyone,

Went and looked at a 2014 (non-ES) FJR with just under 10k on the clock. Was planning to buy that bike until I saw that I can buy a new 2023 FJR with ES for $15k in West Virginia. Not sure what I'll ultimately do. In any case the FJR will be a stable mate (for a time) to my '23 KTM 1290 SAR and MY '23 BMW 719 R Nine T. I miss having a true sport tourer, which is why I'm adding a third bike (which my wife assures me I don't need) to the stable. I look forward to the FJR discussions on the forum. In the meantime, if anyone can provide their opinions and experiences about whether the '23 is worth the extra dosh over the '14 it would be much appreciated. For the sake of your responses you can assume both are good deals and that either is within by budget.
Hello everyone,

my wisest advice is to buy both…. One can never have to many motorcycles!! I personally like the 5-speed but the longer gating from 2016 on is spot on!!