New PIAA Slimline Sports Horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take the one from the right and try it on the left. Maybe its a connection issue. BUT if it does work, somehow you pulled a hat trick of busted horns. That would suck.

I've seen the exact opposite posted here, but according to my multimeter(and double checking using a 9-volt battery), the PINK wire is POSITIVE on both sides when the key is switched on.

Not sure if it matterns to the horn.

I've seen the exact opposite posted here, but according to my multimeter(and double checking using a 9-volt battery), the PINK wire is POSITIVE on both sides when the key is switched on.
Well, yes and no. The brown wire is the ignition switched +12V supply. The pink wire goes off to the horn switch which only supplies a ground when you push the horn button.

What this means is that both the brown and pink wire will measure +12V to ground after you switch on the ignition until you push the horn button. At that time the pink wire will measure zero (or very close) volts.

It's kind of a bass ackwards way to switch the horn on and off, but it is nice since it gives you a really easy place to pick off a +12V switched signal for other accessories (switching relays, etc.) Those brown wires are golden.

Not sure if it matters to the horn.
No, I believe that it doesn't. They do not appear to be polarity sensitive.

Well, yes and no. The brown wire is the ignition switched +12V supply. The pink wire goes off to the horn switch which only supplies a ground when you push the horn button.

What this means is that both the brown and pink wire will measure +12V to ground after you switch on the ignition until you push the horn button. At that time the pink wire will measure zero (or very close) volts.

It's kind of a bass ackwards way to switch the horn on and off, but it is nice since it gives you a really easy place to pick off a +12V switched signal for other accessories (switching relays, etc.) Those brown wires are golden.

Not sure if it matters to the horn.
No, I believe that it doesn't. They do not appear to be polarity sensitive.
Ah. I did not test the voltage while pressing the horn button. I am glad the horns don't blow when I turn on the ignition. That would have been embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts