New PIAA Slimline Sports Horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is with the handlebar turned (right) as sitting on the bike. I think it will work, I don't see any issues. I have the 400 on the other side.

4236B0F3-4D30-4E7B-8E8D-DA51CE272BD5-3888-0000016BA98F90D8.jpg

Yes, I got it to work.

Here is the trick.

500 has to go on throttle side.

I did not use the rubber bushing, so that moved the horn back 1/8 inch.

What I don’t know is, which wire plugs to where, I have a PINK and RED, does it matter which terminal they should go?

The wires should be Pink and Brown. The brown wire is ignition switched +12V. The pink wire is the horn switched ground. I don't remember the terminals being marked, but if they are put the brown wire on the "+" and the pink on the "-". Eitehr that or try them forward and reverse and stay with whichever is louder. ;)

The wires should be Pink and Brown. The brown wire is ignition switched +12V. The pink wire is the horn switched ground. I don't remember the terminals being marked, but if they are put the brown wire on the "+" and the pink on the "-". Eitehr that or try them forward and reverse and stay with whichever is louder.
wink.png
Thanks Fred.

I know this is an old thread, but in the name of efficiency...

Mounted up a set of the Slimlines on my 2007 Gen II. The pair that I got was 400/500hz. They tuck in to the recess of the side fairing (apparently) fine; I'm taking others' experience as evidence that I won't foul the fender. They mount with the "bell" inward, facing down. This puts the electrical terminals to the left (as you face the horn) of the mounting bracket. The bracket is permanently mounted to the back of the horns, so you have to remove the OE horns and then remove the OE bracket. Save the fender washer from the horns, as you'll want to use those to mount the PIAA bracket to the OE mounting point, because the hole in the new horn bracket is big relative to the screw. There were no polarity markings on the horns. I put the wires on the new horns in the same position that they came off the OE horns. They're plenty loud, and the fuse didn't blow, so either I got it right, or it doesn't matter.

In looking at the wiring instructions, I think I understand why these work with the OE wiring: PIAA says to wire them in parallel. This halves the resistance (if my HS electrical lessons serve), so halves the draw compared to series. My suspicion is that since the FJR already has dual horns, the circuit is already in parallel.

So, apologies that this is so stream of consciousness, but I hope it's useful.

I ordered the 400/500 from Amazon. Since I have a '13, and comes stock with only 1 horn, I chose not to do the duel set-up. I plugged in both individually to compare the differences in sound. I went with the 400 instead of the 500 mainly because I liked the lower tone (not loudness). To me, having a lower tone will get more attention. It seems the bigger the vehicle, the lower the horn tone. I tried it out today while doing 80mph, and I could hear it! It's loud!

The really good part is that it took all of 5 minutes to do! This is a really good/easy farkle to do, highly recommend!

Horn upgrade. I also have a 2013 and would like a lot more horn. Is the plug for horn on the left side? does anybody know? I had a Steble horn on the last bike but that looks difficult to installon the FJR

In looking at the wiring instructions, I think I understand why these work with the OE wiring: PIAA says to wire them in parallel. This halves the resistance (if my HS electrical lessons serve), so halves the draw compared to series. My suspicion is that since the FJR already has dual horns, the circuit is already in parallel.
Wired in parallel does halve the resistance but this will double the current! according to Mister Ohm. I=E/R (I=current (amps), E=Volts, R=resistance (ohms)). Wiring in series will double the resistance and halve the current.

Wired in parallel does halve the resistance but this will double the current! according to Mister Ohm. I=E/R (I=current (amps), E=Volts, R=resistance (ohms)). Wiring in series will double the resistance and halve the current.

Correct. That said, the stock horns are also wired in parallel, so as long as the current draw is equal or less than stock you're fine. And with the PIAA horns that is the case.

I ordered the 400/500 from Amazon. Since I have a '13, and comes stock with only 1 horn, I chose not to do the duel set-up.
Wanna sell the other one?
(I'd insert a smiley if the board would let me do so on an iPad...)

That said, the stock horns are also wired in parallel, so as long as the current draw is equal or less than stock you're fine. And with the PIAA horns that is the case.
That's what I figured about the OE wiring (in the absence of a diagram), the failure of my science education aside...

Last edited by a moderator:
Creg, sorry man, but I'm keeping it in case. Also, when the time comes that I have the plastic off, that's when I'll add the 500.

After being unable to find a Stiebel Nautilus install that I liked I took this thread as inspiration and ordered the 400/500 set on Monday via Amazon Prime. 15-20 minutes after unboxing they are installed and she sounds like a big ol' 'merican land yacht. Won't stop people's hearts like the Nautilus (maybe that's a good thing) but they'll know I'm there.

Aside from installing the RDL seat, maybe the easiest mod ever.

I just ordered a pair of 500 / 600 on ebay for 35 bucks. If I don't like the "euro" tone I'll use the new 500 and the stock 400...

Thanks for the info guys!

Gents,

I tried to find a more current thread but this one will have to do. Didn't want to start a new one for this. Got a question for you:

I've installed the PIAA replacement horns, but only one side works. Don't ask why, but I have a total of four of these horns. So in addition to the one that works (the one on the right, if you're wondering), I have three left. I've tried all three, and none work. Wiring problem, right?

Nope.

Popped the OEM horn on there and both work just fine. Made a funky sound, but it worked. So now what? Obviously it's not the wiring. And three bad horns?? Unlikely.

But if the OEM horn is making a funky sound, could that be a voltage problem, resulting in not enough voltage to run the PIAA??

Just a wild assed guess...

I'm sorry. I worded that poorly. I meant they sound funky together; there's nothing wrong with the OEM horn.