New riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
***UPDATE***

Wifey finally is back to normal, as far as her ribs that is, and has been riding Saturdays and Sundays religiously. She's had a drop or two since the Tallahassee trip, and it's really gotten into her head about stops. She slows way behind my daughter and myself at stops, around 6 seconds after we stop. So, I bit the bullet, and bought a lowering link for her bike. Last Friday I had off, so I proceeded to put it in. It took some cussing, but got it in like it's supposed to be. It's an inch and a half drop, which should do it for her. I also dropped the front end 3/4". Took it for a test ride and it felt just like stock for the most part, though I think it turns in a little easier. Also put on some Hyperlites for peace of mind.

Well, I am now a hero! Hell, if I'd known she would have gotten this excited over lowering the bike, I would have done it weeks ago. She rode it all weekend and was making brisk stops, stopping 2 seconds behind us. She had to have told me " Thank you soooo much Honey, I love it!" at least 30 times. So, she's happy and I'm happy she's happy. She has much more confidence now. She can't wait for EOM to get here, so she can have an adventure now.

For my daughter, not much news to report, except to say she has really picked up on riding. You would think she has been riding for 2 or 3 years by watching her. Her 6 month restriction, from me, will come to an end at the end if this month. Originally, the thought of her riding by herself scared the bajeebus out of me, but now not so much. She really has gotten a good command of her bike now. I'll still worry, but not from her making a mistake, but from someone else not paying attention.

These last 6 months has seen all kinds of ups and downs of them learning and me teaching. It's been great! I look forward to see what the next 6 months brings us as they continue to learn.

When we get a rainy weekend, I'll throw some video together of them riding, so you can witness their progress. Because if it's nice....we'll be riding. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
love this thread. Great to see your whole family find the same passion and love for riding, and hope for a lifetime of safe riding for all of you.

LKLD, your next challenge may be to recognize when your benevolent teaching begins to sound to your students more like nagging and know-it-all. After awhile, you will have to abandon the teacher role to a great extent and just become a rider chum who enjoys a session of bench racing and constructive discussion at the end of the day; becoming a peer. Yes, the learning process will continue under these circumstances and probably for all of you.

How well I know that. It's already happening. Right now, we just chat generally, with an occasional pointer. I'm not the consummate teacher, and prefer to let people ask first. I do agree with you though, and feel the transition to co-riders is a must to ensure enjoyment for all of us.

Yup. I would say in my small circle of riding friends, my views carry a certain amount of "authority" simply by virtue of my 40 years riding. I refrain from teacher mode unless I am asked a question. Or, now that I think about it, if I observe what I consider to be dangerous habits or behavior. It is constructive to ask the other riders questions about these habits or behavior, allowing them time to think about it and explain their own reasoning. Stating your views by framing it as a personal opinion or suggestion - rather than advice - works best. Good luck with your new riding crew and pals.

T minus 9.5 hrs until Marie and I take off on a road trip to the Smokies! Hopefully, I'll be able to post some photos of our ride, if all goes well.

Have a great trip you two and ride safe. Keep us boring stay at homes updated as you go.

Steve

Day 1:

Kick stands were up at 5:30a. Nerves a little on edge, from the unknown that lies ahead of us. Driving in the dark is never fun, especially on I-4 & I-75, but just south of Ocala, the sun came up, though covered by clouds. Had a small breakfast in Ocala (fast food), gas up, and on the road again.

Watching the radar on my Ram-mounted iPhone, I see rain ahead. Great! Another trip with rain. 😤 So we pull off in High Springs, and don our trusty rain gear. Rain, rain, and more rain, not to mention 59 degree temps, from the Fl/Ga border to Perry, Ga. (Half the state). Finally at Perry the sun breaks through, and we take off the rain suits.

So now we have Atlanta ahead. Got through downtown in record time, but just north of downtown it stops. How bad you ask? It took a hour and a half to get through Atlanta! Marie was beside herself with anxiety. Sensory overload.

Once through, we stopped for gas just north of Atlanta, and decided we could make it all the way to Tellico Plains, TN.

Marie was tired, but didn't want to stop with only 1 1/2 hrs to go.

So we got on TN 68 (aka...The Sindwinder) right after we crossed into Tennessee. A wonderful windy road through rural countryside. With the sun starting to fall from sight, we pull in to Tellico at 7:00p, and not a moment too soon. 13 1/2 hours on the road ( including gas stops and a sit-down lunch) had us both a bit tired. Tired, but happy as can be.

We're not sure what tomorrow has for us, but we look forward to seeing it. 😉

Too tired to post pictures of us getting gas along the way, hopefully will get some good ones tomorrow.

Good luck with your trip. There is a lot of good riding and some really beautiful stuff in that area. I have been up there several times and love it every time. In fact I have reservations for that area for the end of this month.

RFH, I couldn't agree more. I so love this area for it's beauty, rustic rural areas, and proximity to Flatistan. I've suggested to Marie, that when we retire, we should sell our house and buy a small place up here. Then we could become Snowbirds, and be with family in the wintertime. These visits might be the way to convince her. :)

Day 2:

So today we woke up, feeling somewhat refreshed after a good night's sleep, and had a light breakfast. On the road at 10:30a, which was good considering the day before, I lead us on a nice rural road out of Tellico. 360 would take us through some very picturesque farmlands, with gently rolling hills. A very enjoyable ride, that melted away any worries one might have. With the sun shining, yes, the sun was in her full glory, and temps in the low 60's, we were finally having the weather cooperate with us.

So, we decided to ride The Tail of the Dragon (129), since Marie hadn't rode it yet. The Dragon is an infamous mountain rode that is only 11 miles in length, but has 318 curves. I say infamous because many a biker has wrecked on it, and some have died on it, so it has this reputation as a wicked road, that only the best should attempt.

Well I guess Marie is in that latter group, because she was flawless riding it. We stopped at Deal's Gap, at the eastern, end to pick up some souvenirs and have a quick lunch.

We then rode Moonshiners 28, a road that follows along a meandering river from Fontana Lake. It gets it's name from being a road bootleggers used, back in the day, to avoid being caught by law enforcement. It was fun!

We got into Robbinsville, NC and took the Cherohala Skyway back to Tellico. This took us up over a mile high, with beautiful vistas as far as you could see. The last time we rode it, it was nothing but fog, with visibility at about 75ft. So today Marie got to really experience the full beauty of this road.

After we got back in, Marie has a friend who live in Maryville, TN that came to visit with her husband. Marie knows June from her Mutual Wholesale days, along with her husband Damon, so she had a blast having laughs and catching up over some barbecue.

It was a perfect day all the way around. We are as happy as can be....and thankful.

P.S. The photos will have to wait until I get back home. I can't seem to load photos up to Photofuckit from my iPad, without them being created into a .jpeg format. #%*@$&