New riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, instead of posting all the photos here, I put them here https://s132.photobucket.com/user/LKLD/slideshow/Trips/Spring%202016 and Wheatie, there's a photo of the cobbler in there.
mda.gif

The hard luggage on your wife's bike looks really nice.

I do recognize many of the places you went to. That whole region is something special for a rider.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Thanks Pants, Marie (wife) has come a long way since when I first started this thread, much like your nephew has. It's rewarding in so many ways!

My wife and I learned to ride before there was a MSF. My daughters all took the MSF course and really did learn how to ride. After that course, they learned more by following me around and watching how I handled various situations. All of them wear good gear all the time, just like Dad does. My point is that you can have a big influence on her safety by riding together with her and putting forth a good example.

A ride report spanning 2 years. A wonderful story. Or perhaps a wonderful beginning to the rest of the story.

I am 37. I have no daughter. I have a 12 year old son who, I have no doubt, will be on two wheels as soon as I let him. My wife(ish), who has seen and shared my enjoyment in riding the past few years, is taking the MSF course in 3 weeks. She signed up for the first one she could this year.

I was lucky enough to just come across this thread today. I am dealing with the anxiety you dealt with and then overcame. Your story gives me hope. Makes me smile.

Thank you for sharing.

A ride report spanning 2 years. A wonderful story. Or perhaps a wonderful beginning to the rest of the story.
I am 37. I have no daughter. I have a 12 year old son who, I have no doubt, will be on two wheels as soon as I let him. My wife(ish), who has seen and shared my enjoyment in riding the past few years, is taking the MSF course in 3 weeks. She signed up for the first one she could this year.

I was lucky enough to just come across this thread today. I am dealing with the anxiety you dealt with and then overcame. Your story gives me hope. Makes me smile.

Thank you for sharing.
I hope my experiences can be of some help, if nothing else, to give you the idea that you're not alone with what it all entails. It can/will be an anxiety ridden experience for both you and your wife(ish) in the beginning. Yet, with patience, the anxiety will subside, and replaced with confidence and pure joy. Looking back, and seeing how far they've come, I feel very blessed to have had such willing students.

Jon, I wish you nothing but the best with this next chapter of your life...enjoy!

Rob

P.S. Feel free to PM me with any concerns or questions, I would be happy to share any knowledge I may have.

My son up in the Chicago area said he tested the ABS on purpose at 35 mph on my old 04.

He said both front and rear ABS activated just fine. He said, "Man this stops fast!"

He loves his FJR and he's 24.

He's shorter than I am and has my old Russell tractor seats on it.

I just stumbled on this thread and read it top to bottom with great interest. You have a lovely family. My wife rides two up with me all the time and everybody asks me if she ever rides by herself. I tell them "No, it would scare me to death." After reading this I almost think I could handle it, but I'm sure she would never want to.

My 22 year old daughter is another story. I think she would like it and be a good rider, but I have never even mentioned it. Your story didn't win me over yet.

I have posted about my nephew starting to ride on the street last year and that we have taken a few trips together. We are very close as he lived with us a few years and he worked for me for 15 years. He's more like a son to me than a nephew. So his riding brings out emotions of pride, enjoyment and worry.

The interesting part was that I introduced him to NC roads the same weekend you and your wife were there. We got to Tellico Plains on April 16th and rode to Bald River Falls on Sunday the 17th, which I guess was the day after you did. We went on across the Cherohala to Wayah Road, 28 down to Highlands and then up to the BRP and to Waynesville. The next day we finished the BRP and did the dragon before heading back NW. I saw a lot of FJR's out and was trying to calculate if we could have met you on the road, but I think you were in other places when we were riding through.

Thanks for the story. I really enjoyed it.

Marie has come a long way since we met you two at EOM last September! And I'm guessing there will be a lot more trips in your future--she caught the moto touring bug!

Thanks for sharing the story, and I'm glad you looked into the hard bags for her bike, even though you weren't happy with me for telling her they were an option...

Gina, yes, the money factor had me a bit apprehensive about the hard bags, but I also got real tired of strapping and unstrapping the soft bags. So it wasn't totally unselfish on my part to get them, and we both love 'em!

Here's some photos of Marie on the Dragon.

This one was a surprise from Killboy on 28.

Gina, yes, the money factor had me a bit apprehensive about the hard bags, but I also got real tired of strapping and unstrapping the soft bags. So it wasn't totally unselfish on my part to get them, and we both love 'em!
Here's some photos of Marie on the Dragon.

This one was a surprise from Killboy on 28.

This one should be in a picture frame.

You're right, and we are! We both especially love that one.

On another note, while on our vacation, my daughter informed us that she took her bike to work. This was the first time she has rode it alone. Her ride back home was a night. This would be about a 6 mile ride each way, with all being heavy city traffic. She said she did well, but she felt anxious.

So today, she just left for work on her bike again. I pulled Marie's car out of the garage, so she could back out, and watched her pull out and drive away...alone. It felt awkward to see her drive off without me, but at the same time, there was a swell of pride too. I know she's capable, careful, and has a full understanding of defensive driving. Daddy's baby girl is growing up. 😢