New suspension settings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must suspend (lol) the thread that would not, could not, will not die. I'm so happy to find this thread. I was about to post the following but now I won't because I'm pretty sure all that has been written here makes for a big smile tomorrow afternoon. I'll be headed back out to the spot of the incident to redeem myself. It's too dark to do the settings but I"m on it tomorrow first thing:

Today I was riding the FJR1300 and had a few foulups. I was rolling maybe 10mph faster than I normally would. I knew the curves well enough to know they weren’t too intense even though I hadn’t travelled them in a long time. I am visiting family in hometown and FJRing some of my boyhood routes- some old familiar roads for the first on this new machine.

TO make a short story longer-I leaned into a curve and hit a dip in the road, the FJR bounced, stood up and straightened out, I leaned in further to recover my line and hit another bump thus standing me up and straightening out again. IF there had been a car in the other lane, I may’ve had an accident since I was well in that lane before I could smoothly recover. So I'm on it first thing. My 10hours of riding back home may find me seeking some twisties-perhaps turing 10 hours into 15-quick jaunt over to Deal's Gap to learn more about the FeelJustRight!

TO make a short story longer-I leaned into a curve and hit a dip in the road, the FJR bounced, stood up and straightened out, I leaned in further to recover my line and hit another bump thus standing me up and straightening out again. IF there had been a car in the other lane, I may’ve had an accident since I was well in that lane before I could smoothly recover. So I'm on it first thing. My 10hours of riding back home may find me seeking some twisties-perhaps turing 10 hours into 15-quick jaunt over to Deal's Gap to learn more about the FeelJustRight!
To venture nothing more than a guess... Sounds like your rebound may be set too soft. While that makes for a nice cushy ride, it allows the bike to return from a compression rapidly, sometimes TOO rapidly. Try closing your front and rear rebound clickers 2-4 clicks. Pay close attention to balance and try to keep them both set nearly the same.

To venture nothing more than a guess... Sounds like your rebound may be set too soft. While that makes for a nice cushy ride, it allows the bike to return from a compression rapidly, sometimes TOO rapidly. Try closing your front and rear rebound clickers 2-4 clicks. Pay close attention to balance and try to keep them both set nearly the same.

I need to consult the manual. I'm not sure the difference between the two dials under the handle bars. I dialed them both inward a click or two. IIs there another set of them in the rear? I did a little adjusting just for learning what each click feels like, and put the preload lever from soft to hard. My FJR is now more under my control than before-WOW! Different bike.

And you still address this forum. Thanks for your contribution to the riding community, Jeff.

fjrsochs,

I agree with HaulinAshe, it sounds like the original issue was not enough rebound dampening. I've had the same issue but I've been to busy, or it's been raining, so I have not been able to adjust mine.....yet.

If you have not already looked it up in the manual......

The knobs on top of the forks, and the bottom of the rear shock are for rebound dampening. Turning them in (clockwise) increases the rebound dampening. In extreme cases if you were dial in to much rebound dampening the bike (or even a car) would get closer and closer to the ground if you were to ride over a really bumpy road.

Jon...

The information contained on this forum is priceless to 'Newbies' like me. After reading all of this thread, I went and checked my settings and they were all over the place. I always thought the rear end was '.... a bit soft' and I was right. The rebound was wound out so far there werent any clicks at all. This was just the beginning. The front was also far from some recommend settings in this topic. So I bit the bullet, changed the settings and went for a ride. Holy Cow. The difference is quite amazing. The bike tracks so well, with no more of the pitching and heaving that had become just part of normal riding in the past. Thank you so much to all of the contributors your advice and information has been invaluable. Now, to start bending some aluminium for the heat fix on the left hand side.

Cheers

Phil

I'm clearly confused. There are 5 unique settings suggested in the original post. But I"m only seeing four adjustments availible. What am I missing?

In front of the handle bars there are two black dials with s-h marked on them. And below the seat, at the bottom of the bike there is a much larger dial that looks like, for lack of a better visual, a gear. All three turn easily by hand and click (although the one beneath the seat seems to click in only one direction. Where are the other controls. There was mention that all you needed was a screwdriver but what I see beneath the balck rotaries are more akin to nuts than flat phillips heads.

ON the REAR

So my preload is on hard.

I'm pretty sure that once I twist the Rebound as far as it goes in the non-click directions, 6 clicks back puts me at HaulinAshe's 6.u

On the Front, I'm clueless.

There are the two black rotaries (rebound) and (silly me I see it now in the manual) there are the dials on the forks(Compression). Where is preload?

Sorry if I missed seeing these answers in the last 12 pages of alternate questions and suggestions.

How do I make sure I get all of my adjustable adjusted to Haulin's Suggestions?

FRONT

* Preload, Line-2 (this means one line exposed above the cap, one line flush with the cap/adjuster). Stock setting is Line-3.

* Rebound, 6 clicks out. Stock setting is 12-clicks out. (this is the top adjustment)

* Compression, 8 clicks out. Stock setting is 12-clicks out. (this is the bottom adjustment that protrudes off the side of the fork)

REAR

* Preload - Hard (find the lever!)

* Rebound - 6 clicks out. Stock is 10-clicks out. (think of the rear rebound clicker as a right-hand thread)

Front Preload:

Just under the black rebound adjusters on the top of the forks there is a section of the fork that rises out of the forks. If you look close you will see lines running around it. It's the same section that the black knobs appear to screw into.

Check the pages in your manual where you found the picture of the compression settings for the forks and you should find a picture of the preload settings. You will need a wrench to turn it. In to increase preload, out to reduce it.

Rear rebound:

My rebound adjuster clicks going both directions. Although it may be louder one way or another. If you were under the bike looking up, you would turn the adjuster clockwise all the way and then back it out the number of clicks you want to set it at. Just like you do for the adjusters on the top and bottom of the forks.

Jon...

Front Preload:

Just under the black rebound adjusters on the top of the forks there is a section of the fork that rises out of the forks. If you look close you will see lines running around it. It's the same section that the black knobs appear to screw into.

Check the pages in your manual where you found the picture of the compression settings for the forks and you should find a picture of the preload settings. You will need a wrench to turn it. In to increase preload, out to reduce it.

Rear rebound:

My rebound adjuster clicks going both directions. Although it may be louder one way or another. If you were under the bike looking up, you would turn the adjuster clockwise all the way and then back it out the number of clicks you want to set it at. Just like you do for the adjusters on the top and bottom of the forks.

Jon...

And the good news is . . . .

I have a new FJR1300-the one HaulinAshe and Jon gave me through this suspension settings journey. Thanks Jon, that helped. I adjusted as you stated and took a midnight ride around some bends that were uprighting me -not to mention checked my tire pressure-I was running 25/35. Oops! Now with 40/40 on my Angel Sts, the suspension settings that Haulin gave and Jon's corrective advice, my new to me FJR is now even newer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nate,

I keep forgetting to ask if you have had the pleasure of testing the 3rd gear roll-on yet. As in, you are behind a slower vehicle going 40 in 3rd gear and when you finally pass them you are at 90 before you realize it :lol:

Now that you have your suspension dialed in that should make that move even more pleasurable.....hehehe.

Jon...

Nate,

I keep forgetting to ask if you have had the pleasure of testing the 3rd gear roll-on yet. As in, you are behind a slower vehicle going 40 in 3rd gear and when you finally pass them you are at 90 before you realize it :lol:

Now that you have your suspension dialed in that should make that move even more pleasurable.....hehehe.

Jon...

Well Jon, I plead the fifth :detective2: ( in third that is). . .

Ok, so I have to go back as if I'm replying to HaulinAshes' first post to say (and this says it all)

Yeah man. :wizard:

I have read this thread, and appreciate the information Jeff and others have provided.

Today, I went to set up my suspension based on this information, and the owners manual. I have a 2007 A model, I weigh 194 lbs fully loaded (clothes, phone, keys etc), and ride moderately. Never really aggressive, but not overly mild either. My biggest fault on braking, is I rarely use the rear brake.

So, I set up the front with spring preload at 3, rebound damping at 8, and compression damping at 8. For the rear, I set it at soft (solo most always), and here is where I need some help. For the rear rebound damping, there were 48 clicks. The manual states there are 20 or so. I checked it 3 times, and all 3 came up with 48. Am I missing something? I took it to full stop on both soft and hard, and still come up with 48 up or down.

If this is correct, based on Jeff's suggestion of 6, should I be at 12?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wayne

PS The last 6 of my VIN are 003864

I'm at work on my phone so this will be a quick reply.

My bike also has more clicks on some of the adjusters than listed in the manual. Don't be concerned by that. Turn them in as mentioned in your manual and then back them off the number of clicks you want to set them at.

Based on your example, set it to 6 clicks out.

Jon...

I'm at work on my phone so this will be a quick reply.

My bike also has more clicks on some of the adjusters than listed in the manual. Don't be concerned by that. Turn them in as mentioned in your manual and then back them off the number of clicks you want to set them at.

Based on your example, set it to 6 clicks out.

Jon...
Thanks Jon.

I was a little leery about the 48 clicks, but will try the setting at 6 clicks from full hard. Should be better than what I had.

Now the fun part. I'll test it. :)

Wayne

The adjustment wheel at the bottom of my rear shock is hard to turn. Should I be able to turn it by hand? I looked in my "tool kit" but didnt find a wrench for it. Should there be one in there. Ive seen them in other tool kits on my other bikes.

Bryan

The adjustment wheel at the bottom of my rear shock is hard to turn. Should I be able to turn it by hand? I looked in my "tool kit" but didnt find a wrench for it. Should there be one in there. Ive seen them in other tool kits on my other bikes.

Bryan
Depending on the direction you're turning it, it will be way easier to turn if the bike is on the centerstand. If you are already trying it like this, I got nothing. Mine is pretty easy, and the clicks are deliberate.

Bryan
Depending on the direction you're turning it, it will be way easier to turn if the bike is on the centerstand. If you are already trying it like this, I got nothing. Mine is pretty easy, and the clicks are deliberate.
Yah, I wasnt sure how tight would be tight enough while i was tightening it down before I was supposed to bake it off. No wuda meen?

I think I tightened it down too tight. Which is why it ride too stiff in the soft position.

Yes, it sounds like you tightened it to tight. You should only have to use your fingers to turn it.

When I adjust mine I turn it clockwise (looking from the bottom) until it stops turning which is about 1/2 click past the last click that I hear on my bike. I then back it off to that last click and start counting clicks from there as I back it off more.

Jon...