New TPMS Hit the Market

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear was fine but the front was a no go.
Same issue. Does anyone have one of these units installed on a FJR? The "well" into which the valve is inserted in the rim is very deep and the supplied grommet does not seal. We (competent dealer service guy and me) tried several other solutions -- different grommets, rubber washers, etc. If we got enough rubber in there to seal, there was not enough thread showing outside the rim to get the nut on the valve stem.

In reality, nothing sealed to the point that I had any confidence in them. Connor (from Orange, who has really been helpful and responsive) suggested Teflon tape, but we just couldn't visualize a solution there. Any thoughts anyone?

Essentially, this shape/size

319163_10150341930651732_692551731_8458347_1867710661_n.jpg

Doesn't fit in here well enough to seal.

321590_10150341929701732_692551731_8458343_198037663_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the two pics.

The way that it should work is the same way as on those 90 degree valve stems that are so common on FJRs.

The round rubber grommet that is around the valve stem should slip into the inner most hole diameter and seal it there. You may have to push the rubber seal into the wheel first and then shove the stem through the grommet after it's in place.

Just an added thought: On those 90 degree stems the flange of the rubber seal goes to the outside and gets pressed inwards by the body of stem.

Maybe the trick would be to reverse the rubber flange on this too, and add a washer between the flange and the nut to bear evenly against the washer? :unsure:

Kevin, thanks for posting those pics. Now I can visualize the problem better. Would it be possible to grind out a slight recess in the rim that is the shape of the sensor box? Looks like there is plenty of thickness in the room to do this. What about shaping the sensor box?

Was just thinking about the various TPMS options out there today. Has this mounting problem ever been fixed on these Orange TPMS sensors? :unsure:

I am interested in this too. Just the other day our Ford Flex picked up a nail in the tire. That's when I found out it has a TPMS. IT was very helpful to say the least. I would like to get one for my bike now too.

Most nuts include a chamfer as a "lead in" for the threads. Try filing about .020 to .030 off one side of the nut. This will "buy" you some extra room. Make sure ya keep it flat. Ya might file say .010 to .020 off the edges of the plastic rectangular area of your valve stem assembly... where it contacts the "smaller" radius of the front wheel. I'm thinking that you can get away with removing a little stock on both sides without harming anything. You might also consider grinding the end of a 3/4 inch wide file, sharpened on a snag grinder, or a chisel: use it as a scraper inside the rim to turn the radius that's causing your problem into a flat. Put a little 45 degree x.015 chamfer on the corners of the file as sharp corners produce stress cracks in aluminum.

Gary

darksider #44

I do not think that this was the problem. I believe that the problem was that the sensor body was shaped wrong (too wide) to fit down into the narrow channel of the front wheel far enough, so the relatively short stem wouldn't protrude far enough to the outside.

If anyone has managed to get one of the Orange Electronics brand TPMS installed on their FJR front wheel, please post up!!

Otherwise, it looks like the Doran will (still) be the TPMS of choice.

I was able to install the Orange unit on my 05 by grinding material in the drop center of the front wheel.

However, at the Indy Power Sports show I visited the Orange TPMS booth and they had an FJR wheel with their new-revised sensor installed. The valve steem is longer and installation does not require any grinding or other mods to install. Just bolt it on. The system works great--been using it for about 4 months. Display is visible in bright sunlight. Also, interesting to watch tire pressure vs. temperature. I've had the rear tire temp recorded as high as 96F with ambient temp about 78F degrees. Waiting to see how high it goes this summer when road temps are over 100F

I've had the rear tire temp recorded as high as 96F with ambient temp about 78F degrees. Waiting to see how high it goes this summer when road temps are over 100F
My personal best was 163F in a July run across Nevada, running two up. Began to wonder about tire operating limitations, and came to the conclusion that there are some things you just don't want to really know. ;)

Has this mounting problem ever been fixed on these Orange TPMS sensors?
Fred, Orange, particularly the guy I've been working with there, Connor Duffy, has been great at working on this issue. Although there were several solutions initially -- including grinding the rim to fit or adding additional rubber to seal -- they have now created a substitute sensor with a much longer valve stem. I have been running an initial prototype of the new sensor for some time and it has been flawless.

at the Indy Power Sports show I visited the Orange TPMS booth and they had an FJR wheel with their new-revised sensor installed. The valve stem is longer and installation does not require any grinding or other mods to install. Just bolt it on. The system works great--been using it for about 4 months. Display is visible in bright sunlight.
+1! These are the sensors that I have installed on my bike -- both front and rear, although the rear actually works with the stock sensors, though a bit short. My experience with everything installed has been great. According to Connor, they just need a little more time to get these to general market. I have directed him to this thread and I am sure he will post up when the new sensors are available.

TPMSSensor.jpg

I have the display (two lead, hardwired) installed with Velcro on a little angle bracket I made for under my N/Line shelf. It is bright and viewable in any lighting level, although best viewed straight on, something to be taken into account when deciding on an install location.

TPMSDisplay-1.jpg

Meanwhile, time to go add a little air to the PR3's! Looks like they're a couple of pounds low...

According to Connor, they just need a little more time to get these to general market. I have directed him to this thread and I am sure he will post up when the new sensors are available.
Once he's got the new sensors ready for the general market, maybe we can direct him to the group buy area and get something set up... :whistle:

I'd be in for one.

Yes, me too, on the group buy. Do see if Connor is interested in selling a bunch of them. It isn't unusual to see 50 people or more hop on a group buy. Plus when 50 FJR guys get them installed and start singing their praises they will have a hard time keeping them in stock.

Right after reading 3dogs' post yesterday, I actually contacted a reseller (from Amazon.com) and explained the problem with the FJR front wheels and that I was looking for a kit with the longer stemmed sensors. He got back to me right away o say they didn't have them out just yet, so I had already learned that. But, as a beta tester, you certainly do seem to have the inside scoop!

I've been using the Doran system for a number of years. I bought mine used from a forum member and one of the sensors recently failed and after contacting the mfg they sent me a new one for $25. I just bought a new unit for my GW. I like the fact that you can mount the units inside or outside the rim and that they come with new 90degree stems.

Yup. Good points. However, if you plan to use the sensors externally you shouldn't use the 90 degree valve stems. But with a TPMS installed, since you won't be checking the pressures any more (just topping them up when needed) not having 90 degree stems is much less of an issue. Good to know how inexpensively the Doran sensors can be had for. We'll have to find out how much the Orange sensors will be.

Up to this point the Doran has definitely been the unit of choice. The pros for the new Orange Electronics TPMS would seem to be the lower initial price, the internal tire temperature display capability and the internal sensor mounting method seems less likely to get destroyed during a tire change.

Reminder on the Doran replacement sensors you do have to call them to get the $25 replacement price. If you just buy them off the web site they are higher. I ordered them from the web and THEY called me to say I could get replacement directly for $25. Excellent customer service!

is there a mailing list one could get on to be notified when the new FJR compliant sensors are available? I'm assuming these will also handle the higher pressure spec for M/C's too?

I'm up for new tires soon, so if there's a group buy within the next two or three months I'm very interested.

Update

I was trying to contact Orange to order the TPMS. They called with bad news Thursday. Orange is shutting down, due to supplier issues. Units are still available, but replacement sensors, etc. would not be, so it's off the list for me.

Latest posts