Next best seat to Russell seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianfjrowner

Reaction score
The Russell seat has nothing but great reports about it, but I can't see putting one of those on my bike. It really throws of the nice look of the bike. A nice sleek machine with a couch on top. What would be the next most comfortable seat I can get. I'm a tall guy so I have no problem reaching the ground with flat feet.

Just left NAFO this morning and there sure were a lot of Russell seats there. If you don't want the best I'm sure there will be a few along with their opinions. I tend to think that Russell owners are more interested in how the seat performs while riding and not so much into how it looks while posing in the lot. Good luck with your quest.

Just left NAFO this morning and there sure were a lot of Russell seats there. If you don't want the best I'm sure there will be a few along with their opinions. I tend to think that Russell owners are more interested in how the seat performs while riding and not so much into how it looks while posing in the lot. Good luck with your quest.
Yep! Gunny! Yew betcha! Okie Dokie! Roger! 10-4!

If looks are the most important thing to you, why not stay with the OEM seat and save the heartache and money? :dntknw:

OTH, if comfort is your priority, that's another decision.

For me, my derriere and it's condition is of utmost concern, especially on a 10 day-2 week ride.

YMMV

The Russell seat was develped by Bill Meyer sr. You will get elements of that seat from Rick Meyer and Bill without the outboard springs that make a couch. While I don't want to incur the wrath of the Russell faithful, I have put many long days on my Rick Meyer seat, and it's a little easier to shift weight off center.

My ass has never hurt bad enough to want one of those nasty looking Russell's on my bike. Your ass's mileage may vary. I enjoy function over form, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I wouldn't put Caddy seats in a Vette, either.

There are several options if your days are short-ish... or if you're more interested in looking good when the bike is parked.

Disclaimer: I am one of the Russell believers. I have drunk the kool-aid and it is good.

I used to have a Sargent on my VFR. It was a lot better than the stock torture device. It would allow me to ride that bike all day in relative comfort. But not all day, multiple days in a row. Then the seat became a limiting factor.

My '05 came to me (used) with a 1st gen Corbin Canyon seat. That seat was an instrument of sheer torture. I couldn't ride the bike more than an hour without lots of wiggling around. I later tried a Corbin modular seat (like the 2nd gen model) and that was much better, good for maybe 5-6 hours.

I later bought a used Rick Mayer seat for the FJR. It wasn't made specifically for me, and maybe that was why it didn't work for me either.

I finally got over the looks of the Russell and decided the ability to ride in comfort was more important than how it looks. I'll never own another road bike that doesn't have a Russell. I even have one on my V-strom which sees a fair amount of off-road use. I do think that the Russell half moon pattern is a bit less offensive looking than some of the other stitching patterns, but only just a little. Here's mine:

100_0381.jpg

With all of the above said, I have heard testimony from some owners that the Bill Mayer seat is (almost) as good as the Russell day long in the comfort department, and it is not quite as offensive looking. But you can only see the seat when you aren't sitting on it, which is really what I prefer to do. :p

Well, the most riding I do is about 2 hrs. per day. With the OEM seat, 30 minutes is too long. The Sargeant seat sounds ok. Do they make more than one style?

Nope. Just one for the second Gen. I think you can ask for a specific welt color.

Linky

ws_560_18a.JPG

And the passenger backrest is optional (extra)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Russell seat was develped by Bill Meyer sr. You will get elements of that seat from Rick Meyer and Bill without the outboard springs that make a couch. While I don't want to incur the wrath of the Russell faithful, I have put many long days on my Rick Meyer seat, and it's a little easier to shift weight off center.
I agree.

The day after I left Rick Meyer's shop in Redding Ca. I rode just short of 550 miles to Baker City Id. Needless to say I was more than impressed with my new seat.

What ever path you take, I would definitely suggest leather over vinyl.

I have 86K on my Rick Mayer seat with many 5-7 day trips and a quick 600 miles yesterday. Works just fine for me and doesn't look so fugly as a Russell. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: