Now what do I do....?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately Fred...it is not an unfaired bike.... It is in fact a 2011 Ultra Classic Limited with a 103 motor. So it is a little warm in its own right..

Hell ya!!

Here's a look my side of the garage (wife gets the other side for her Jeep and my car sits out in the snow)

100_3109.jpg
Nice bike but what the heck picture is that on the wall?

Yes album cover?

BTW I am in the same boat. Toys in, Truck outside.

Dave

Unfortunately Fred...it is not an unfaired bike.... It is in fact a 2011 Ultra Classic Limited with a 103 motor. So it is a little warm in its own right..
Oh well then... Hmmm.

Just think of how many other cool bikes you could buy with the money if you sold off the hog!!

And sorry about the garage picture hijack below.... ;)

Dang Fred....that looks like a nice collection! I like how you fancied it up with a Van Gogh (Stary Night?)

Nice bike but what the heck picture is that on the wall?

Yes album cover?
For Phred: Like every motorcycle owners garage, it is van Gogh's painting of Starry Night. Phred is phophisticated, no?
Bingo. Every garage needs a little phophistication, n'est-ce pas?

Where's the VFR?!?!

Traded it for the WR250X/R on the end. I got tired of having it sitting around in the garage collecting dust and am wanting to get my off-road freak on.

It was actually a good straight up trade in both directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider this: you said that every time you ride the cruiser, you wish you were on the FJR. To quote one of my dad's sayings, "It don't GET no better, son." He always emphasized the word "GET" when he said it. I still get a kick out of riding the FJR every time I get on it. So I'm guessing that the longer you own the FJR, the less you're going to enjoy riding a cruiser.

Therefore: if your cruiser is like most bikes, the longer it sits, the less it's worth. The average bike (is there such a thing?) loses at least 1k in value every year. Sell it as soon as the weather (and the market) heats up, bank the bucks, and enjoy the extra space in the garage. You can always buy another - if down the road you change your mind.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Rexford,

We're sort of in the same boat. I will have to dig up a garage picture, but my pick-up sits outside while the Subaru (which is newer, and the better half's car) and the 4 motorcycles get to stay in the garage. 1 FJR (hers) 1 FZ1 (mine) 2 Yamaha V-Stars (one each). Our move to the FJR/ FZ1 is recent, and we took a ride last fall on the cruisers to "see if we still liked them." Answer: "Yes". So, for now, all 4 bikes live in the garage and complain about their NEB syndrome (not enough butts).

I will keep the big ole hog...as I've said before, I started on them in 1979 and will always have one in my garage. My only problem with it is the guys I ride with have to let me start mine first so I know that it is running....(stock pipes). Maybe just maybe I have grown up in the last 3-4 yrs and I might be able to go back to riding some dual-sport.....if I ride really slow and sane. Man, is that hard to to in the dirt or what! Tried a full on sport bike and my bike locked up for about 4 months so can't take that direction....I just love all types of bikes I guess I always will. oh well! Look forward to meeting a bunch of you guys, it was alot of you that helped me get on a FJR in the first place. Was out today temp 28* but damn, it was sunny and I just had to ride. :blink:

I will keep the big ole hog...as I've said before, I started on them in 1979 and will always have one in my garage. My only problem with it is the guys I ride with have to let me start mine first so I know that it is running....(stock pipes). Maybe just maybe I have grown up in the last 3-4 yrs and I might be able to go back to riding some dual-sport.....if I ride really slow and sane. Man, is that hard to to in the dirt or what! Tried a full on sport bike and my bike locked up for about 4 months so can't take that direction....I just love all types of bikes I guess I always will. oh well! Look forward to meeting a bunch of you guys, it was alot of you that helped me get on a FJR in the first place. Was out today temp 28* but damn, it was sunny and I just had to ride. :blink:
Congrats on the FJR. Lot's of great information on here about the FJR. They are very good platforms for sport touring, not perfect. But there are many aftermarket things you can obtain at reasonable prices to adjust the bike to your comfort and riding level. You probably are enjoying the weight reduction too. Now, you can ride the FJR with your regular group. If they get too noisy, you can just roll on the throttle and put a little distance in between and reduce the noise levels. The you will find out first hand that the FJR is very stable at spirited speeds
tongue.gif
Don't be surprised if a few of the other riders migrate to the FJR too.
wink.gif

The real question is do you ride two up? If so, the Ultra is hard to be for pax comfort. If not, why not swap the Ultra for a Road King, Road Glide, or Street Glide?

The real question is do you ride two up? If so, the Ultra is hard to be for pax comfort. If not, why not swap the Ultra for a Road King, Road Glide, or Street Glide?

This is always a good way to go. I will probably add an HD to the stable someday and since I have a touring bike (FJR) I will look more for a fun street ride/boulevard cruiser and a Street Glide is a nice choice for that!

Well, I do ride two up and your right...the Ultra is very comfortable for the wife! I did go out and ride the HD today with a group of guys that were also on cruisers and sometimes it's nice to just kick back and roll some back country roads listing to the Allman Bros. and looking around. I am used to bikes that handle like the FJR ie: BMW K1200RS's (yes plural) and a couple of K1200S's (plural again). And after seeing Fred W's garage ... I have decided to keep the Ultra enjoy the FJR and maybe buy a KLR or something similar when we move up to Ark in a year and a half when the wife can retire...maybe get back into a little dual-sport riding again.

Cheers all.

Rexford.

Now is the time for a little cocktail!!!!!!!

Once the "newness" of the FJR wears thin you may find that there are those times when you enjoy riding the Ultra. Carver has an older iteration and switches between his many modes of two-wheeled-adventure-machines. They all have their purpose and place.

And after seeing Fred W's garage ... I have decided to keep the Ultra enjoy the FJR and maybe buy a KLR or something similar when we move up to Ark in a year and a half when the wife can retire...maybe get back into a little dual-sport riding again.
Glad I could be of "assistance". :p