NWP Meet/Ride (Wellsboro PA) May 24-25,26 '14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
I have an organized ride/rally/meet planned for Memorial Day Weekend. Rally central will be in Wellsboro, PA, it's close to some really great Pennsylvanian bike roads.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attendee's (as of 5/07/14)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

86Magna
none
njgtlrider; Wayne & Patti
Top_Speed1; KJ
rush21122
DUSAK
Weavo53 & Wife
Mavericktoo & Wife

Steamer; Stan & Jami

Wine Guy; Mike (& Donna maybe)

wnyfjr; Mike

If you make your ressies, post up and I will add ya to the list!

Lodging

Penn Wells Lodge still has rooms available for the Memorial Day weekend (but I wouldn't hesitate!). I booked a room about a Month ago for Saturday and Sunday nights (Monday is the Holiday and ride back). You can book online and use the discounted "group rate" @ $114/night, in the order notes, ask for the new wing. Unfortunately being a Holiday Weekend we don't have a lot of booking power/pull. Cancellations are accepted up to 24 hours in advance. Free Wi-Fi and breakfast is included.

Penn Wells Lodge (Base Motel - Newly constructed wing/Renovated older wings)
Lodge | Penn Wells Hotel

Other lodging very close by are:
Hotel | Penn Wells Hotel Older Rooms
Sherwood Motel - Home
Canyon Motel Wellsboro, PA | Welcome

Day Ride Routes

I have made up a couple of routes utilizing some of the great bike roads in the area, I will convert to .gpx (or whatever you need) when we get closer.

KJ's "Head for the Hills" Loop
...minimizes your Rte 6 travel
smile.gif.pagespeed.ce.xM_f3u022S.gif

vs. my more scenic Loop-dee-do?
--> Little shorter run @280mi (than "Loop-tee-doo" @335mi)
--> Only includes about 10mi of Rte 6.
--> More
focus right to the hills, incorporates Rte's 414, 120, 555, 140 and of course the Rte 3001 twisted sister.
--> Lose out on the "Trips-6" (Rte 666) and also the Allegheny westerly scenic region.

Some fluff on the loca.....

The lodge includes breakfast all but Sunday (lodge has an additional chg if you do want it however). So a possible Breakfast hole I've visited before (great chow, don't let the appearance fool ya!) for Sunday am before riding...

PA_3e-0.jpg

Quaint lil town...

WellsboroPAHP.jpg

Did I mention the scenery sucks?
wink.gif

169197d1298775484-planning-trip-to-pa-grand-canyon-wellsboro-pa-pa-grand-canyon.jpg

cfiles22982.jpg

PA_3c-0.jpg

37045-Bot.jpg

All makes welcome, it's the people who are important!

(HomeBase) Wellsboro {Mansfield area} is only 1.5 hrs away from me so this will be my local event of the year. I haven't been down there in 6 or 7 years so I'm welcoming the reunion slash return! ...you know, so many places to go and so little time delio

Let me know if any of you guys want in!. I started this with some BMW friends, but all bikes & makes are welcomed (Good company is a must however!). We have a diverse mix so far (no HD's, but if some show, I guess they can do there own pirate thang).

Me? I'm coming 2-up w Debbie, I see many have followed suite BUT, solo or paired, it's all good. Hope to see y'all there for some great riding and lotz-a-funn!

-KJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to do this event but it's the same weekend as Mason Dixon 20/20 rally.
sadsmiley.gif

FYI: there is a really cool walking tour you can do in Wellsboro. Our family goes camping in that area every July 4th.

Enjoy yourselves!

I can't make it, dammit! But I highly recommend if you can, you do it. I was there a few yrs back- the riding is great and the town is nice and relaxed. Well, maybe not during a rally but it was nice. Felt safe walking around in the evenings after supper before "cocktail hour" at the motel pool.

Just booked a room for Laura and I for this. We're looking forward to it!!

Mike/WineGuy, let me know when you and Donna are heading down and maybe we can ride along with ya!

Hey Mike & Laura! I'll be passing right through your town on my way down on Saturday the 24th. Let me know where & when you would like to hook up and we certainly can ride in together.

I ride these roads a lot as I live near Wellsboro. I don't think I can get out of other plans I have for that weekend, but if I can, I will join in on the fun.

My I highly recommend Hyner View State Park. You will be a few miles away at the south east portion of your loop. More turns than Tail Of The Dragon (almost) in about 4 miles and huge elevation change. Amazing view at the top. I think it could be the most talked about section of road in this area.

Hyner View State Park is almost must if you're in the area. I ride the Wellsboro area as much as possible and headed that way nearly every day I had off last year. Seems like there's no shortage of fantastic riding & roads!

Hoping to convince the wife to tag along for this one. Wine guy would you be willing to have another along for the ride? Any idea what route you will take?

Hey Mad. Would enjoy riding in with you. My plan is to cross at Fort Erie, head over to Eden and link up with Mike (wnyfjr) & Laura. Not sure exactly where you are coming from but we could connect up near St. Catharines and travel into the big US of A.

Can't make it as I am leading a non-FJR rally in WV that weekend. You have a great list of roads for this area! I am from Kane and I have hit all of those roads at least twice per summer since I got the FJR, and a few times before. I think we find the hang gliders at Hyner Vista on Memorial Day weekend. Parking should still be fine if a little crowded, and a treat to watch a couple of them take off.

Other than the regular traps on Rt 120 watch for the St Mary's locals. They expanded their city limits quite a bit a few years ago and they don't use radar.

666 is fun in spots, rough in spots, with some way fun whoop-de-doos, but if I was originating in Wellsboro I might eschew going that far west and try to work in more of 144, rt 44, Quehanna highway, Rt 555, and Wycoff Run road.

Have a great rally!

Top speed,

Are you planning to meet and ride out of Wellsboro Saturday morning the 24th? Or is Sunday the 25th the only planned ride? I want to fit this get together in just need to figure out some dates.

Top speed,
Are you planning to meet and ride out of Wellsboro Saturday morning the 24th? Or is Sunday the 25th the only planned ride? I want to fit this get together in just need to figure out some dates.

Sat is ride-in day for me and most. Being Monday is the holiday, we are group riding on Sunday, Monday then is ride-home. But, anything goes as this is an informal meet/event. It would be great to have you, we might even be able to line up some cigar social hrs! (OK, the parking lot social is a given with or without da 'gars)

I have a 280mi loop plotted (I can email the GPX file to any PMers), it includes Hyner View, which I did on the scout trip last month...

20140413_134244_zps43ac7bbc.jpg

20140413_132436_zps328d2ba6.jpg

20140413_132537_zps8465f7c5.jpg

20140413_132623_zpsfdd32550.jpg