Oh Mexico, it is so damn groovy I just want to ride there!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don, enjoyed the pictures. Were you riding your Beemer or the FJR? I would like to take a trip to Mexico sometime, but would have to plan ahead in order to get my bike to California. I will have to admit that I do have a fear of the drug cartels in Mexico.
Hola Jer, Miss Donna and Papa Chuy were on our 2013 FJR. I have been riding to Mexico on a motorcycle continuously since October of 1968, I had to report to the US Army for Basic Training at Fort Ord, California on 10/23 and I spent the three weeks prior to that riding Baja California Norte on my 1964 Norton Atlas 750; close to 3K miles on that old Brit Iron on the dirt roads of Northern Mexico. The drug cartels in Mexico certainly exist, but I know where they reside and will avoid those areas.

Naturally you can be in the wrong spot at the wrong time anywhere on this Planet, but trust me that can also happen in South Phoenix on a Saturday night much easier than it can in most of Mexico. jes' sayin' and nuff said!

IMG_0017.jpg
Don, I would be willing to travel with you almost anywhere and respect the way you treat Mexico. I have been on trips there three or four times and found the people to be great. The cartel and murders are still on my mind though.

Mi Hermano Jer, being of the Irish persuasion and "thick" nothing scares this Fenian! However, this is what give me constant nightmares/headaches!

1378341_634570909897162_1411534926_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"I'd like to hear more about the road to the resort. Was it really that bad, or would it only be a problem for someone like
Bokerfork who struggles with freeway rain grooves?"

It was definitely bad with soft sand for over two miles, Brian Boles is an incredible rider and he almost dumped it with his wife Melanie on the back of their BMW K1600GTL.

The only way I would stay at Playa Frambes Lighthouse Resort again is if I return with my Jeep Liberty 4wd, but we had a great time riding around in a taxi and we could talk!

https://www.posadadelasflores.com OM If we ride down for Thanksgiving of 2014 for lobster dinner we'll stay at the Posada de las Flores hotels in both Loreto and La Paz ese!

https://www.posadadelasflores.com/video-LaPaz.php If FJR Forum rides to La Paz, Mexico for Thanksgiving 2014, this is where we'll be staying at on El Malecon.
I'd never friggen wanna leave~!
Mi Hermano KJ, the same thing happened to the Eagles. They went to Hotel California in Todos Santos and could never leave, "All Saints" is only a 45 minute ride away from Posada de las Flores Hotel! Margaritas are still fantastic at Hotel California, Herradura is their house Tequila! Arriba, ai, ai, ai!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnkJcjBCG88

https://www.posadadelasflores.com/video-LaPaz.php If FJR Forum rides to La Paz, Mexico for Thanksgiving 2014, this is where we'll be staying at on El Malecon.
That looks perfect!

With Thanksgiving in mind I'll probably have to ship the bike down to your area and fly down.

Bummer, but I'll have to put up with it. :)

Hola y Abroazos! Don and Brian,

Thanks for posting a great trip report. Good to see your smiley faces sharing Mexico with friends.

Suerte,
Pancho

Saludos Frank, Que tal mi Amigo!?! Mi Compadre Brian and Papa Chuy Viejo ride Mexico a lot, we have ridden thousands of miles South of the Border with Brian's Wife Melanie and my Girlfriend Donna; plus, we have gone on many adventure treks offroad with our BMW GS dirt bikes. One of the best dirt donk runs we have ever made was with Pancho as our Tour Guide with Moto Discovery Tours riding to Real de Catorce in Central Mexico, Frank showed us an incredible time and we rode some amazing dirt trails; still always in my memory bank, Brian and I still reminisce about that incredible vacation. Senor, if you are ever in Phoenix: Mi Casa es su Casa y mi Motos es su Motos ese!

Recuerdos,
El Jefe Boles y Papa Chuy Viejo

arton150.jpg

https://www.motodiscovery.com

A last photo from the Mulege trip of Don and Donna on our magnificent Yamaha FJR1300 (world's best motorcycle!), on the way home on California-94.

49250821-DSC_1224_exposure.jpg

Today on my 65th Birthday I'm day dreaming about riding back to Mexico soon, The Boles' and Don & Donna have only been back 2 weeks and I still have Motorcycling through beautiful Mexico on my mind!

Turning 65 was easy peasy, I won't be old until I can no longer ride my dirt bike. Here I am on the very steep and sandy descent into Choix, Chihuahua, Mexico; in Mexico's beautiful Copper Canyon, Excelente. Mas Caminos y mas Amigos, ese!

I want to ride one more big adventure trek through Mexico's Copper Canyon, so who's with me Amigos!

Mexico2010103_zps33b9676d.jpg

From Brian Boles: Italy will burn up all of my 2014 vacation. 2015?

Sounds good, but just remember tus Papa Chuy Viejo isn't getting any younger here! But, I'll have a lighter dirt bike for the next big Mexico off road Adventure. I was thinking of contacting Skip Mascorro of Moto Discovery to see if he'd take on another Real de Catorce Ride, but perhaps adding another day in RdC and adding another 100-200 miles of dirt in the process. https://www.motodiscovery.com MD discontinued RdC, so this would be a Custom Tour for us!

Getting the ball rolling for an extensive dirt bike ride to Central Mexico in April of 2015, highlights will be Real de Catorce and Huasteca Region:

Group Photo of San Miguel Allende Ride:
image1.jpg

Don,
It is so good to hear from you. I count you as one of our most fervent supporters. In fact I thought of you a few weeks ago when I was in Europe running a tour from Zagreb, Croatia to Istanbul and we had Zan Smith and Angela ( New Years Eve San Miguel Allende) with us.
We love anything that goes to Real De Catorce and a chance to return there with you and your amigos would be very exciting. I'm with you on doing the third night.
Lets work on that in the coming months. I'll put something together that is designed just for you and your amigos. Adding some tropical ( the most southern cloud forest in the hemisphere) off road riding in the Huasteca would add another highlight.
I hope to get to Baja this winter. If I find myself in your neighborhood I'll certainly give you a holler.
AS always thanks for your support Don. Felicidades
Abrazo,
Skip

https://www.motodiscovery.com

PS: The Dubliner and the Dane are not going to weenie out of this one, es Verdad ese! jes' sayin' and nuff said mis Hombres!

The road from Monterrey to Huasteca, pretty gnarly! Tucson Joe and Papa Chuy will probably have to help rushes and yamafitter get through the really rough spots. jes' sayin' and nuff said!

Seven mile ride through the old mining tunnel to Real de Catorce, with the stream running through it.

Bungie would absolutely love this one, especially because the Mexicanos traffic operators on both ends are drunk and occasionally the lights will go out!