I Just Felt Like Riding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday, August 5, 2016.

The last day on the road.

This leg of a road trip on the bike is always one of reflection for me. Reflecting back on the experiences that I got lost in at the time, but afterwards I realize they are highlights of the memories that, when people ask how the trip was, are what I will bring up.
The storm in Kansas.
The peeps at NAFO.
Million Dollar Highway.
The Forrest Gump Road.
The scavenger hunt pictures in Arizona.
AJ giving us the bird while laughing his ass off.
The high-speed run into Roswell.
The shtank around the cattle yards in Texas.
The dude that had to retrieve his FitBit.
The Ariston Café.

All of those erase anything due to it being stoopit f’n hot. I’ll remember the things above first and foremost. And smile. Even though AJ is in there.

Dork.

The morning was a tad damp. What was coming down wasn’t quite rain, but it was just enough to piss you off.

We were in and out of road construction and clouds for quite a while.

So if you saw the pictures from the beginning of the ride report… Yeah… Not much new to add.

But, we made it through Indianapolis without it raining!

Just kidding. We were, literally, just on the east side of Indy, and the damned skies opened up on us. It didn’t bug us – the cool-off actually felt pretty good! – but I guess a little bit of rain makes the hazard lights come on in cars? WTF, people?!? This wasn’t even THAT bad. Eesh.

A little while later, our home state, round on the ends and HI in the middle.

These designs are on the bridge supports in the Dayton area. Dayton is home to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, and the Air Force Museum.

One thing that I picked up from someone at some point is in your GPS, rather than set the ‘home’ location to your actual home, set it to a police station nearby. Nice, eh? So ‘home’ in my GPS is an Ohio State Highway Patrol post just up the road from the house. The idea being that, if some douche canoe steals my GPS, and they wanna know where I live… Well, you get the idear.

I had the GPS set to take us ‘Home’ and we saw something close to home that we didn’t know was there – a covered bridge!

Very cool! Maybe not as cool as some of the ones in Vermont, but still cool.

And a few warm minutes later, we were home, greeted by a lawn that REALLY needed mowed, and a somewhat aloof kitteh that, maybe, and I mean JUST MAYBE, was OK with the fact that we were home.

So, a bit under 400 miles to get us home, just under 4500 miles total for the trip, 10 days on the road, 11 states, including adding four states that we have ridden in together.

Where the SPOT tracker says we went.

While it was nice to be home, quite frankly, I could easily have just kept on riding for another couple of weeks.

Because I just felt like riding.

Das Ende.

Excelent ride report BikerGeek!!Thanks for sharing!!I really enjoyed it!!
smile.png

Andy, you could have a 2016 by Tech Day. Salvage what we can off from your old bike onto the new one and both bikes would already be where we need them.
yes.gif

Great report. I would love to take the wife on one of these trips.

SWMBO and I talk about going together on this kind of trip. She likes to go riding with me, but about 200 miles for the day is MORE than enough for her.

What we discuss is the idea that I would leave the house alone, pick her up at an airport several days later, ride together for a few days, drop her off at the airport, and then I continue on by myself. We both like that idea a lot. I'd have to find a place near the airport to store my camping bag and other things. I also have to see if my luggage would have enough space for whatever she wants to bring.

In the Fall, we might take an overnight trip somewhere and test the waters.

Last edited by a moderator:
What we discuss is the idea that I would leave the house alone, pick her up at an airport several days later, ride together for a few days, drop her off at the airport, and then I continue on by myself.
We did something similar to that in 2009. I hopped on the bike and rode to SFO. Sooze flew down to a small regional airport a few days later, then we did the Route 66 ride over the next five or six days or so.

101stpathfinder did exactly what you describe for NAFO.

Well..... that was pretty awesome!!!! Your narration and Susie's pictures make for some great reading!!! Kudos!

Geez, it's finally over. Only took you a month to knock out this report Andy, you're getting better.

All kidding aside it was great to see Sooze and you again in Montrose plus a damn fine job on the report. Snag that 16 and ride to the Pacific ocean next . We'll leave the light on for ya.

Thanks to Sooze for the great pics! Oh, and you too, Geek for the narration. Really great report, dude! What a fantastic ride~!

Thursday, August 4, 2016.
Another place we’ll have to check out when the heat index isn’t high enough to cook the Thanksgiving turkey.

Enjoyed meeting the two of you in Montrose, and have been reading this non-stop for the past 90 minutes or so. Sooze gets a big "Thank You" for great photos.

If you want to visit that place again because of the wierdo green flying-saucer house, it's called a "Futuro House" and was developed by a Finnish guy as a quick-and-easy ski chalet that could be relatively portable. This website has way more than you'd ever want to know about them, and it looks like yours is located at Pink Elephant Antiques, 708 Chs 68, Livingston, IL 62088, USA.

Yeah, I have weirdo hobbies.

Thursday, August 4, 2016.
Another place we’ll have to check out when the heat index isn’t high enough to cook the Thanksgiving turkey.

Enjoyed meeting the two of you in Montrose, and have been reading this non-stop for the past 90 minutes or so. Sooze gets a big "Thank You" for great photos.

If you want to visit that place again because of the wierdo green flying-saucer house, it's called a "Futuro House" and was developed by a Finnish guy as a quick-and-easy ski chalet that could be relatively portable. This website has way more than you'd ever want to know about them, and it looks like yours is located at Pink Elephant Antiques, 708 Chs 68, Livingston, IL 62088, USA.

Yeah, I like weirdo stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
SWMBO and I talk about going together on this kind of trip. She likes to go riding with me, but about 200 miles for the day is MORE than enough for her.
What we discuss is the idea that I would leave the house alone, pick her up at an airport several days later, ride together for a few days, drop her off at the airport, and then I continue on by myself. We both like that idea a lot. I'd have to find a place near the airport to store my camping bag and other things. I also have to see if my luggage would have enough space for whatever she wants to bring.

In the Fall, we might take an overnight trip somewhere and test the waters.
Yosemite next year! B)

Hey! I know that turn out!

MonumentValley1.jpg

I rode MV south to north back in August '08 (I can't believe I didn't get a shot of the Feej there
sad.png
). Looks like the weather was much nicer for your trip than it was for mine. The wife and I did the same route north to south this past May (in the cage, so no pics).

...I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to have a Gump tribute while I was there (both times)
haha.gif

Great RR, BG!