Ohio River Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
I went for a run today. It was about 98 during part of the ride. I got roasted, as in sunburned. Started with gear, took off the gear, got burned, Thunderstorm came up, put on the gear, dried out, took off the gear.. Man, I was busy just changing!

I'd heard nice things about the river road ("scenic byway") on the Indiana and Ohio side of the river. I rode the back way to Louisville, which was nothing exciting from my home. Then I followed the river all the way to Cincinnati.

The only thing I found interesting was the number of gambling boats along the way. Seems like there's one or two every 30 miles or so. I think I saw at least 5 of them. And they were ALL busy. Oh, there were a few boat, barges and interesting things to see along and on the river. And a couple of the towns were kinda nice. But as far as riding for riding's sake, it was a disappointment. Roads were just as boring as those around my house.

I was glad it rained. Man, I was steaming. The bike didn't feel that hot because of my tank mod and the leathers I was wearing. But it was just stiffling. RAIN FEEL GOOD. Then it took a long time to dry out. AHHHH, that was like having air conditioning.

Ok, you guys that ride down that way are going to have to tell me where the GOOD roads are.

Here is the info you desire:

From Madison, you should take 62 thru China (Keena) Canaan to 129. This is "Chief White _______ Trail" an old Indian trail thru some nice stuff. At 129 head N to pick up 62 East again in Olean thru Friendship, Farmers Retreat and ending in Dillsboro. Pick up 262 E to Rising Sun and the boring 156/56 you already know about. Jog S on 156/56 to 56 W to Aberdeen. S on 56 to E Enterprise. Here you can take 250 E or continue S on 56 to Vevay (Veevee). Other than the stuff around Bloomington/Bedford esp 250. that's about the best in IN IMHO.

Now, at Vevay, turn Left or N on Ohio River 156 again to Markland Dam. Cross over to KY, continue upstream to Warsaw. Turn S on 35 to Sparta being very careful to catch 467 left into Glencoe and on to Dry Ridge. VERY NICE. head S on 25 to 22, again VN, left 2 mi on 27 to 17 N. These are 15 and 14 miles respectively and you'll be glad. Also, 22 W out of Dry Ridge down to Owenton. Then N on 127 to Glencoe and home.

Down in KY, anything E or W of Dry Ridge is a safe bet. I've left a lot out. With a map the 22/10 loop around Kincaid Lake is nice too, but makes a long day.

From Indy, I can string most of these together and get home in a day, maybe 400 to 500 miles of great riding. Most are 10 mile to maybe 25 mile stretches each.(Well getting down there from here is about 80 miles of flat straight stuff.)

Last edited: