Oil filter stuck....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn

Reaction score
Need some tips on removing a stuck oil filter.... please....

Last service was done by the dealer - once again proving, I am the best one to be working on my bike....

Last service was done by the dealer - once again proving, I am the best one to be working on my bike....
Big channelock pliers (they make a set just for oil filters) and a firm, steady pull. You'll dent the crap out of the filter, but it should come off.

Good luck, hope this helps

Griff

I assume the monkey they had working on your bike just overtightened it, so you should have no problems with a suitable oil filter wrench. I use the Big Bike Parts Off-Set Oil Filter Wrench from CA Sport Touring since it will never slip, etc.

But if you either don't have one of these, or that sucker is really stuck, then a more messy but effective way would be to run a big screwdriver all the way through the filter and start turning.

CounterClockWise to Loosen...
well, except at dusk.

---

why dick around with all the half-ass wrenches?, just grab your pipe wrench:

straight_pipe_wrench_3c_sm98.jpg

CounterClockWise to Loosen...
do you know me? ;)

Yeah, the baby is stuck good... When I changed at 200 miles I goit it off fine (just using one of those plastic cap oil filter wrench things), then dealer did the 600 and now it is really stuck. BTW, the drain plug was too toght also... grr....

I have tried wrapping in a bicycle inner tube to get more bite... ni luck...

Thanks for the tip on the wrench James, as soon as i am done, I'll be ordering one....

hammer & screwdriver win! even then it was quite a bit to twist the filter off...

Geez.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha filer wrench. Fits over the entire end of the filter, attach your ratchet/breaker bar, off in a jiffy.

Yamaha filer wrench. Fits over the entire end of the filter, attach your ratchet/breaker bar, off in a jiffy.

A couple months ago when I went by the dealer, they didn't have any - tried to sell me a Kawi wrench for something like $65-70!!!

Good idea SlapNPop - may get one as a backup... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one that fits over the end of the filter at Auto Zone. Only $5 or $6 denero. Has worked every time. They have three different sizes so you might want to drive the bike there just to make sure you get the right one.

Dave

Once I had a filter that was put on way too tight by a garage. Not even the screwdriver through the filter worked to get it off. I ended up having to use a hammer and chisel on the base of the filter to get it off. I don't know what that idiot grease monkey was thinking.

This is why I like the K&N oil filters. The nut on the end of the filter does away with this. Just my $.02 worth.

Tom

Apparently the Dude at the dealer didn't tighten the filter to the specified torque (12 ft.lb or 144 in.lb). Just sayin' :wacko:

Follow Slapnpop's lead (e.g. strapwrench). You need this in your toolbox for other stuff anyway (instead of buying a job specific tool).