Old Farts Ride Again: Lunch at Sofia's Mexican!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
Well, we Geezers-Retirees-Reprobates had such a fun ride last Tuesday: We're going to do it again this Tuesday, also!  Meet at the Intersection of Arizona Highways 347 and 238 in Maricopa this next Tuesday, December 14: Kickstands Are Up at 1030 hours.  There is a Circle K fuel/food station at the South West Corner.  We are going to ride to Sofia's Mexican Food Restaurant located at 616 East Pima Street in Gila Bend, AZ 85337; phone is (928) 683-6382.  After la Comida at Sofia's, we will ride Historic US Route 80 back to the Phoenix Megalopolis.  Any questions, please contact Don Stanley at either 480-440-4666 or e-mail Papa Chuy Viejo at [email protected] RIDE TO EAT - EAT TO RIDE!

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like I will have to pass again. I had an encounter with some "black ice" in Payson last Wednesday and we dropped like a rock. Thank goodness for the sliders and that I was going no more than 2 MPH. So my FJR is at "RideNow Powersports" in Phoenix on Cave Creek Road waiting for analysis on exactly what is broken beyond the LH mirror and the bracket that is under the plastic. There are superficial scratches on the LH exhaust and some of the plastic, and a crack under the mirror. The mirror folded, but not before getting bent out of shape. Oh well! But a warning, even when the air temps are 60+, damp spots on the road can be ice DAMHIK.

Ai caramba, Jim in Phoenix; sure sorry to hear about this damned ice disaster on your FJR, I sure am glad that you were not seriously hurt when you went down!

No, not seriously hurt. The ankle is a little sore from being trapped under the bike as we slid down the road. Thankfully, I had my MC boots and riding pants and jacket on or it might have been more painful.

I have martial arts at noon on Tuesdays & Thursdays, bummer.
Bummer, I've Eating Arts at Noon on Tuesdays & Thursdays! DO NOT miss this Tuesday 80F warm lunch ride to Sofia's for Mexican Food muy Fantastico! El Gordo Chuy

Pity those poor sorry bastards living in a white out blizzard in New England! 80 fecking Fahrenheit degrees here in Maricopa County on Tuesday, 12/14. Es Muy Magnifico!

Guys I Have a lot in Surprise and will not be there until January. I hope that you will continue to have rides in the New Year and that I may be able to take part. Have a great ride on Tuesday.

Gary

Guys I Have a lot in Surprise and will not be there until January. I hope that you will continue to have rides in the New Year and that I may be able to take part. Have a great ride on Tuesday.

Gary
Hello Gary, Looking forward to your joining us on the mid-week rides! What day do you arrive in Arizona? Our January lunch ride is going to be a 300 miler, instead of the usual 200 miler brunch rides. We were going to meet at Wickenburg for a light breakfast at 0900, then up to Bagdad and across Skull Valley to Prescott for lunch. Then through Dewey to Camp Verde; at Camp Verde there is an optional 400 mile day for those interested: Strawberry, Payson and Sunflower back to Phoenix. Or, if you just wanted to do 300 miles, then ride down Interstate 17 to Phoenix. If you have a suggestion for February's ride, please contact Don Stanley at either 480-440-4666 or [email protected] These Winter rides end Mid-March, when I ride off to Baja California Mexico.

FORUM FOOTNOTE: Mid-week rides for January, February and March will switch to Wednesday; so FJRobert-Wolfhound, aka Sergeant Ashby, will stop whining! A Hondoo Lead Wing Whiner!

https://weather.aol.com/forecast/todays//usa/arizona/chandler/id/usaz0034;jsessionid=3E0BAFB848A71E936E20CF87BB2B807E WEATHER ALERT, DANGER: I regret to inform you Zonie riders that our local Phoenix conditions have turned for the worse! It is only going to be 78F degrees here today in Maricopa County, Arizona for our ride to Sofia's for lunch in Gila Bend, not the previously forecasted high of 80F degrees!

Even worse yet, it dropped to a 44F low, and it was only supposed to go down to 45F. So buck up my hardy riders, put on your extra riding gear and we will fight these disastrous riding conditions as best we can. Try not to freeze and see you at 10:30! When the going gets tough, the FJR tough get going. Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride!

Oorah!

Remember Everybody, this is the FJR Forum: Don't Ask and Don't Tell! On the left is my illegitimate bastard Hijo (Son) Greg "SkooterG" Marbach and on the right is mi Sobrino (Nephew) Enrique "Henry" Garza. Cops love Firemen! Enrique is a City of Mesa Fire Department EMT/Paramedic and SkooterG is a former Wyoming and Arizona Highway Patrol State Trooper. They are hugging over the top of Greg's new BMW R1200GS. Both my Son and my Nephew have ridden Mexico with Papa Chuy!

100_0378.jpg

We had 10 bikes and 11 participants for a fantastic day of riding in the Central Arizona Desert and a great lunch at Sofia's Restaurant yesterday! 200+ miles, no tickets!

100_0383.jpg

If you ever find yourself riding through Gila Bend on US Interstate 8 from Tucson to San Diego, you have to stop and eat at Sofia's! Excelente Mexicana la Comida, ese!!!

100_0372.jpg

Kicking tires/telling lies before the ride. Skooty has been an AZ Beemers Member for 5 years now on a Yamaha FJR1300, finally has a decent moto: BMW R1200GS!

100_0370.jpg

With temperatures at 80F we were thinking of BikerGeek99 and Bustanut joker: Wondering why those goofy bastards live where white shit falls on the fecking ground!

100_0381.jpg

Latest posts