On the hunt - gloves and boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Right, so after about 1400 miles on this bad girl, and a few days of rain, I've learned a bit about boots and gloves...

[SIZE=12pt]Gloves:[/SIZE]

The dyed harley airflow gloves I have a perfect... for sunny days. Any rain and the color dyes ME. :(

Love the short cuff on them, though.

My waterproof, windproof Alpinestars gloves have been just the ticket on cooler, wet mornings... but are a bit of a pain with the long gauntlet and any watch I own. ;)

Overall, both sets of gloves work just fine, though I find myself seeking refinement - to cozy up closer to "perfect" if you will...

[SIZE=12pt]Boots:[/SIZE]

Again, it's hard to find fault with my wind/waterproof Alpinestars. The are easy to slip on and off having a zipper-under-velcro set up. They are very comfortable and offer excellent support under my foot and up through the ankle.

On dry days, the flat rock. When it rains, as sometimes happens here in Seattle, they scare the crap out of me. The merest hint of sideways pressure scoots a foot out from under me every time. This becomes tiresome on a wet commute home when every time you place your foot down it moves around when you shift on the bike. I need more traction in the wet to confidently man-handle the Black Barge. Think of backing up in a wet parking lot - try to move and... slip! catch the bike, recover, try again. :(

To be fair, I'm over-stating things a bit, BUT, these boots are noticably light on tread pattern and what's there is rock hard - hence the slip-slidey...

With that in mind, I request the following from the esteemed group haunting this forum...

1 - gloves - recommendations on a pair that are wind/water proof, short/no gauntlet and are colorfast - would prefer they NOT be leather, but am more concerned about colorfast. Would be a bonus if they had plastic protection bits, too, but not a deal breaker

2 - boots - recommendations on a pair that are wind/waterproof, prefer zip ups, needs to have soft sole, good grip/traction in the wet. Obviously needs to be low profile enough to work with our bikes too.

I'll have to start checking the local shops soon, as when summer wraps up, I expect to start seeing more rain coming on winter here. In the meantime, if you have a thought on things like this, holla.

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of stuff at decent prices with superior customer service

these folks go to great lengths to truthfully describe their personal experience with their merchandise and welcome customers to speak up their experience

www.newenough.com

for me, I like firstgear gloves as XL fit me well

for me, I like SIDI boots...for sure, check this Italian manufacturer out

Good Luck on the hunt,

Mike in Nawlins'

Tour Master Solution boot. I've got a pair in daily use for 20 months now, never had wet feet, never slipped putting a foot down, and I've had days where I wore them for 12 or 15 hours, riding, walking, all day. Lastly, they can be had around a hundred bucks.

I'd be surprised to find a truly waterproof short glove. My wet gloves are long gauntlet, but they don't interfere with my watch. I never wear a watch on the bike, don't want to trash it if my wrist goes into the ground, or worse, have it trash my wrist.

What wfooshee said regarding boots!! Mine now have 20k riding miles on 'em. Still keep me dry and more comfy than ever!! Relatively cheap too!

Alpinestars S-MX 5 for me. Waterproof version. I have ridden full days in the rain with them and they performed flawlessly. They're comfortable enough for me to ride to a fair or flea market and walk around for hours. They're definitely more sporty than toury, but they work for me.

New Enough just added Held Sprints for $119. Got myself a set ordered!

(I'm turning into a gear junkie...)

Sidi On Roads, I wear them every day all day. Totaly waterproof and a non slip sole.

Boots - Any Daytonas with Gore-Tex.

Gloves - Any Held or Cycleport's Keprotech gloves with Rider's Warehouse three-finger over gloves for rain.

For a different boot opinion. I have a pair of Oxtar Matrix boots with about 20K miles of riding on them. Waterproof with goretex. Wind, rain, cold weather, always keep my tootsies warm and dry.

As I recall they are a pretty good buy as well.

OK - clearly LOTS for me to check out - thanks guys!

Keep the ideas coming if you've got them. Waterproof is the easy part these days, I think. It's the "boots with grip in wet weather" that's tougher, so please keep sharing your experiences and I'll get cracking on looking up options mentioned above.

I also like Tour Master Solutions because they are waterproof and very comfortable to walk in.

Oh, I forgot. I crash-tested my Tour Master Solutions, too, and I'm sure they kept me from breaking my ankle. In a low side my toe caught the pavement and hyper-extended my foot. The top of the boot was scuffed, and my ankle was sprained, but not so badly I couldn't still put the boot on and off OK. Still wearing the same boot 16 months later. It's still waterproof, still comfortable enough for all day riding and walking.

DSC_0014.jpg

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm looking for boots as well. Protection is my primary concern. However I have a narrow foot, ( B) and all the boots I've ever tried to buy are too wide. Even two pairs of socks too wide.

Anybody know of a good boot that is available in different widths?

thanks in advance.