One Claimed on Puckered Sphincter South

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully1300

Reaction score
Hello all,

First of all I wanted to thank those of you involved with putting together such a wonderful event. The people, routes, sponsors, food, on and on were great. I am already looking forward to next year's EOM. You all are great.

I wanted to bring you all up to speed on the accident I had Sunday morning. First of all I am ok (walked away with minor injuries). I cannot say the same about my bike, though since I had to U-haul it back to Indiana Sunday. I was leading a group; Heidi (Luv to ride), Brent & Angela (Quicksilver), Kevin (Fencer) and Gary (Too Fast) through the Puckered Sphincter South when I came up on this very intimidating curve:

https://sully1300.sharpcast.com/get/image.j...BDabnYa8OyAM2zC

That's right, what intimidating curve. I had been hitting tight twisties for three days and lost it on this 40mph Sunday strool curve - unbelievable! Well, I hit a little gravel early in my entry but saved it and just as I was returning back to the cornering at hand I hit a couple small rocks that washed out my front end again, only this time I didn't have enough rode to recover. I have been riding for many years and I let my guard down here and ran out of road. All I could do was to try and pick my line for the least impactful crash course. If you look at the pic, I was able to (by the grace of God) slide between the guardrail and the steel corner alert post, slide across the first driveway, take out the two mailbox posts and come to rest in a driveway of a fellow motorcyclist. I slid behind my FJR on my chest and watched it cleanly take out the mailbox posts for me so I could slide over them. Why does time seem stand still when something like this happens?

Kevin, Brent, Angela, Heidi and Gary, I want to thank you all for the help, support, and the clear thinking I needed. If I had hit either the guardrail or the post this might have been a different story. I was able to walk away because of the excellent gear I was wearing and God's path he had for me. There is no doubt I would have broke my left lower leg if it hadn't been for the Alpine boots I had on. I think I might have fractured my wrist but I am still waiting on the x-ray results to come back, so in the meantime I get to wear this cool beige bowling wrist splint.

I wish I had a better picture of my bike so you could see the imbedded wood in the front fairing from the mailbox posts. There is also not a peice of plastic that didn't incur a scratch:

https://sully1300.sharpcast.com/get/image.j...K2e723ZHnHjWSEM

I am not yet sure if it is totaled or not, but if it not this gives me the opportunity to go with some after market gems (which are cheaper - rediculous) that I have had my eye on (Remis exhaust, upgraded GPS, black fairings - if I can get them yet, etc.). I am not quite sure how jittery I am going to be once I get back into saddle - only time will tell. Thankfully I have had tons of motocross crashes in the past that I had to deal with, but the road is different.

crashclub.gif
Official member.

Glad you are good my friend, I was gonna try to get ahold of you this morning.

(you links ain't workin)

Here are my pics

S6300145.jpg

If you look, there is a grass depression in front of the camera. This is where the bike came to rest. Sully was on the drive to the left when I got to him. The wooden rail fence in the back - well that goes to a 60 foot drop.

S6300142.jpg

He had just threaded the sign and guard rail, made it over the drop onto the lower driveway, was still upright untill he broke two 4x4 posts on the mail box.

S6300144.jpg

S6300141.jpg

S6300140.jpg

S6300139.jpg

Heidi said I was ruthless and cut no one any slack. Once I found out he was OK, I hit him hard untill I got the result I was after

S6300137.jpg

S6300138.jpg

The leg

S6300136.jpg

Glad you are well my friend.

The Lady of the house was fantastic. She was out of her door asking if he was ok as quick as I was. And I was on his tail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you are OK Sully! Man, we are tough on our FJRs. I'm glad to see how many FJR owners have good gear, and really unhappy about the number of riders that have needed the good gear.

sully1300 does not have any public albums available for viewing.
No pixs.

Definitely glad the end result was better than the beginning potential! As you know from motocross, it's the simplest things that can hurt you the most.

Glad you are okay and very sorry about the bike. I understand how that hurts.

When you heal, go smack Fencer back. It will make you feel better.

:)

Glad you're alright. Looking at those pics I would say your gear did alright by you! Plastic is expensive stuff, how do you like the color Raven black? ;)

Ahhh shit. Sorry Sully. That facking sucks man.

First and foremost, glad you are relatively unhurt. Secondly, as you know Im only a short hop away from you and if you need anything or help with truck or trailer, shoot me a PM and I'll happilly come on up. I've got some buds up in Indi that I go see on a relatively regular basis anyhow.

Hang in there bud.

I was sooooooooooooooooo glad you were okay. Thought for sure (from the way you were acting) you had broken your leg.

You should send a pic of the bruise on your leg that matches the shape of the armor in your boot to the manufacture of your boot (bet you could get new pair out of it) :yahoo: Seriously, if your boot didn't have that armor, and it hadn't dissapated the force of the impact across it's surface, I think you would be wearing white fiberglass on your lower leg right now.

BTW I thought it was funny as hell when you told the lady at the U-Haul place that you had "gone down on your motorcylce" and she asked you if you had burned your lips..................priceless (sorry Kevin, I couldn't help myself) rotflmao ;)

Toophast

Sorry to hear about your incident, but, be thankful that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Keep your chin up.

This is a major bummer! Glad you're not further banged up.

That curve doesn't look too extreme..... looks like someone was rolling in a little too hot. perhaps?
eusa_whistle.gif

Regardless, glad you're mostly okay..... good thing that road debris incidents (gravel) fall under comprehensive insurance claims.....

Sully, when... I think that it was Kevin taking your helmet off & I said... That's not a good idea, & you said that you were alright, I was so relieved! Riding up w/ you laying in the middle of that driveway... not moving, was horrifying.

Dude, you went down on the same road that I went ditch surfing on, all of 2-3 miles past my excursion spot.

As you already know, the bike can be replaced. You bud... can't. There is a bright side to this. You are relatively ok & living to ride another day.

All that mesh jacket needs is a good washing.

I'm very, very happy that you're ok, Heidi

Sorry to hear about yet another crash. I must have started a chain reaction with my little getoff Saturday. Glad you are OK. Fortunately by the grace of god we will all ride again brother.