OSRAM - Night Breaker H4 lamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bull

Reaction score
I switched out the stock H4 lamps today - replacing them with Osram Night Breakers. I heard from Mr Warchild that these might be a step in the right direction, so I thought I'd give them a swing [thanks WC]

First of all, I took no pctures because I've always thought that most of the 'before and after' replacing the H4 pictures I've seen in the past are pretty much useless. You get a yellowish shot - then a brighter shot. So if you like pictures, just pause for a moment, close your eyes, imagine one that's yellowish - and one that's more whitish, then you'll be about bang on. Right. Back to business....

First impressions - the night breakers definitely shoot out a more crisp, white light than the stockers - even though they are stamped as 60/55 (same as stock lamps). I just put one in so I could do a real time LHS versus RHS comparison (at noon, dusk and dark). The stock bulb had a slightly orange colouring - the night breakers were more crisp white without moving into blue (so your bike won't resemble a kid's tricked out honda prelude with pretend HID's). I'd always thought that the stock lamps were white, until I saw them next to the osram, which unquestionably makes the stock look orang-ey.

A brief warning for the uninitiated! Switching out the bulbs is fairly straightforward - but replacing those rubber dust covers on a Gen II bike, once the new bulbs are in place took about three years off my life today. :blink: I think the assembly workers in Japan who build these bikes must have tiny, little hands like squirrels. At one point I had one hand coming in over the glove box and the other, coming in from below and all the while, my pain contorted face was struggling between curses to keep visual contact of the action zone. I did discover a technique eventually that was helpful, but it would be very difficult to describe. If you ever get stuck, drop me a PM and I'll see if I can explain what I eventually did to make it work.

I got my bulbs from: www.powerbulbs.com and they shipped fast, were well packaged, and cost 24 British pounds. If you were interested in a set, you could use this coupon code which was attached to my invoice. Quote RLKHQ1883 and get 10% off. (no relation, not commission, etc, etc, etc.....)

So far - I'd say they're a noticeable improvement over stock - but that's an assumption based on the bike standing still. I'll post a ride report once I've had a chance to get out for a spin.

cheers all - Bull

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, I took no pctures because I've always thought that most of the 'before and after' replacing the H4 pictures I've seen in the past are pretty much useless. You get a yellowish shot - then a brighter shot. So if you like pictures, just pause for a moment, close your eyes, imagine one that's yellowish - and one that's more whitish, then you'll be about bang on. Right. Back to business....
A brief warning for the uninitiated! Switching out the bulbs is fairly straightforward - but replacing those rubber dust covers on a Gen II bike, once the new bulbs are in place took about three years off my life today. :blink: I think the assembly workers in Japan who build these bikes must have tiny, little hands like squirrels. At one point I had one hand coming in over the glove box and the other, coming in from below and all the while, my pain contorted face was struggling between curses to keep visual contact of the action zone. I did discover a technique eventually that was helpful, but it would be very difficult to describe. If you ever get stuck, drop me a PM and I'll see if I can explain what I eventually did to make it work.

cheers all - Bull
...still blinded by your photo.. :unsure: ......and yes, I fully AGREE that replacing them bastards is a major pia.. I can't imagine how anyone could replace these bulbs on a lonely road in the middle of the night after having been up for, oh, say, 18 hours staight.

still blinded by your photo..

Maybe I should have put a warning in there - sorry DCarver .... :D

JagerMeister - I haven't read any info on that yet - I thought I'd give them a go and post up the info as it arises. I think I heard someone say brightness was at the cost of length of service.... seems reasonable.

Replacing the left-side bulb isn't too bad, but the right side is miserable.

Are these bulbs the same as the Euro spec H4s available from CA Sport Touring, Murph's, etc...?

Are these bulbs the same as the Euro spec H4s available from CA Sport Touring, Murph's, etc...?
No, they are not.

The Night Breakers are brand new, and not yet listed on either CST or Murph's (both of which list the Silverstars... a very good bulb itself, but they aren't the Night Breakers).

A brief warning for the uninitiated! Switching out the bulbs is fairly straightforward - but replacing those rubber dust covers on a Gen II bike, once the new bulbs are in place took about three years off my life today. :blink: I think the assembly workers in Japan who build these bikes must have tiny, little hands like squirrels. At one point I had one hand coming in over the glove box and the other, coming in from below and all the while, my pain contorted face was struggling between curses to keep visual contact of the action zone.
I keep a local 5 year old on retainer for this very reason.

These guys finally got road tested last week - they're good. Better than stock - noticeably so. Seemed to get better light out to the sides, still seeming to keep the stock pattern for light cast forwards to the centre. Clearly a crisper whiter light. I noticed that I could see the colours of the trees with a clarity that I'd never noticed before.

So - all things considered - a good switch out.

I'd do it again.

No, they are not.

The Night Breakers are brand new, and not yet listed on either CST or Murph's (both of which list the Silverstars... a very good bulb itself, but they aren't the Night Breakers).

How do the Night Breakers compare to the Silver Stars? in price? Brightness? and length of service? I have Silver Stars now, any reason to change?

How do the Night Breakers compare to the Silver Stars? in price? Brightness? and length of service? I have Silver Stars now, any reason to change?

Hi Ohio

I haven't used the silver stars myself so I can't give a response in comparing the two. As for the stats, there will be many better folks than I to hopefully provide the scientific data. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Just bought the Osram Night Breakers, will install them soon.

Waiting for the cuts on my hand to quit bleeding from fishing

wires in the dashboard of my car today.

If I were you Powerman - I'd just dive into the FJR and switch out the bulbs - you're hands are bleeding already.

No, they are not.

Are you comparing the regular SilverStars or the Ultras?

Thanks,

Here are some pictures of the Night Breaker over stock. They claim on the package +90 more light and +10 whiter so they beat the Phillips. Have a looksee for your self.

2508929090_7e3d11063b_b.jpg

No my lenses are not all beat up I followed a semi in the rain last night.

Bluebullet,

Nice pic. A good idea of the different color of the light.

03silverbullet,

What are you basing your statements regarding the +80 extreme bulb being better on?

I don't know any better regarding the two.. Just curious? BTW, couldn't get that website to work..

WW

Bluebullet,Nice pic. A good idea of the different color of the light.

03silverbullet,

What are you basing your statements regarding the +80 extreme bulb being better on?

I don't know any better regarding the two.. Just curious? BTW, couldn't get that website to work..

WW
I got my info from autoexpress which did a test and this is what they said. "Head and shoulders above the rest in this test was the Philips X-treme Power, which put in a performance no rival bulb could come near"