Parking the FJR 1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadlizard

Reaction score
During my past as a cruiser rider I have only been accustomed to kick stands. As a new FJR owner I need to learn a technique that allows the rider to smoothly and relatively effortlessly position the machine on the center stand. It seems that there is more risk of dropping the bike while getting it on the center stand than using the kick stand. So far I have achieved the position, but only after abusing my back during the manuver.

It's a piece of cake. I hold the left bar and put my right hand under the hold below the seat to steady. I step on the center stand 'till it hits the garage floor, than I put all my weight on the center stand and the bike hops up on it. It was intimidating the first few times, but you get over it and the procedure becomes very simple and fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
During my past as a cruiser rider I have only been accustomed to kick stands. As a new FJR owner I need to learn a technique that allows the rider to smoothly and relatively effortlessly position the machine on the center stand. It seems that there is more risk of dropping the bike while getting it on the center stand than using the kick stand. So far I have achieved the position, but only after abusing my back during the manuver.
I can only pass on what I do. First I get off using the side stand to support the bike. I then push the centerstand so that it is in contact with the ground. Keeping pressure on the center stand I bring the bike upright until I feel both sides of the centerstand are touching the ground. At that point I stand on the centerstand while pulling up on the bike. I pull up the bike using the passenger hand holds, not the hand hold for putting the bike on the centerstand. That just works better for me. When I say stand on the centerstand, I mean ALL weight on the centerstand and one foot is off the ground. I'm also standing on it with my right foot. Like I said, that is what works for me. An alternate would be to use the left foot and to pull the bars to the rear while lifting the rear. I would recommend getting someone to steady the bike while you practice. The FJR is actually easier than my Sprint which weighs 150 pounds less.

Left bar in left hand, right hand under seat. Right foot on center stand, push down on center stand until you feel both sides of the stand on the floor/ground then pull up with right hand while pushing down with right foot. This should not be a strain, more of a smooth balance manuver when done right. I just sold my 2nd 1800 Goldwing today (and VFR too, here comes '07 FJR!). The Goldwing took some getting used to. I would have a friend stand on the other side the first few times with the Goldwing until I got used to it. Maybe you should have somebody on the other side while you take it on and off the stand a few times. Also to take it off you should be able to rock it off the stand while standing next to it and not shaking/pushing it off while seated.

Steve

From one who hadn't put a bike on a centerstand since the Honda 55 in '64 and thought I'd never be able to get this heavy bastard up: without knownig the trick you can stand on the stand and lift straight up 'til you thnk you've put a hole in your foot and your ass is going to tear apart but not much good will happen.

Here's the key:

When you "lift" with your right hand, it's not really a "lift".

After you put your foot on the stand, settling it onto the ground, try pulling back and up at about a 45 degree angle; i.e., half way between straight up and straight back. This will natually cause you to do a correponding motion with your foot, pressing down and forward. The bike will roll slightly to the rear and magically pop up on the stand. Nearly effortless - really unbelievable at first, especially if you're bathed in sweat from trying to lift it onto the stand.

Keep the handlebars straight.

i cheat........ i roll the back tire on a flat piece of wood about 1/2 to 3/4" thick. puts the center stand just a little closer to overcenter thus giving a little more mechanical advantage.

From one who hadn't put a bike on a centerstand since the Honda 55 in '64 and thought I'd never be able to get this heavy bastard up: without knownig the trick you can stand on the stand and lift straight up 'til you thnk you've put a hole in your foot and your ass is going to tear apart but not much good will happen.
Here's the key:

When you "lift" with your right hand, it's not really a "lift".

After you put your foot on the stand, settling it onto the ground, try pulling back and up at about a 45 degree angle; i.e., half way between straight up and straight back. This will natually cause you to do a correponding motion with your foot, pressing down and forward. The bike will roll slightly to the rear and magically pop up on the stand. Nearly effortless - really unbelievable at first, especially if you're bathed in sweat from trying to lift it onto the stand.

Keep the handlebars straight.
You nailed it TwoDogs. That's EXACTLY what I do.

The key to putting it up on the center stand is to have the bike positioned on both pegs of the center stand before you start trying to get it up. Like everyone says... hand on the left bar, right hand on the seat rail (facing towards you). Step on the center stand and get both pegs touching the ground... you will feel it. Then really put your weight on the stand while slightly pulling up on the seat rail. Odds are if it doesn't pop right up, you are not square on both center stand pegs. If you are square, it will pop right up. Keep in mind that this can also be impacted if the bike is on an angle.

You know I've always found it very easy to get my bikes on the centerstand using the techniques already mentioned, but very often I have trouble getting them back down.

I'm kind of inseam challenged so it's a matter of swinging my legs back and forth trying to get enough weight moving forward to tip it off the centerstand. Anybody have a better way? Besides looking and feeling stupid, if the bike is on a slope sometimes it doesn't want to come down!

TIA, Mike

You know I've always found it very easy to get my bikes on the centerstand using the techniques already mentioned, but very often I have trouble getting them back down.
I'm kind of inseam challenged so it's a matter of swinging my legs back and forth trying to get enough weight moving forward to tip it off the centerstand. Anybody have a better way? Besides looking and feeling stupid, if the bike is on a slope sometimes it doesn't want to come down!

TIA, Mike
Try taking it off the center stand before you get on. :rolleyes:

Intimidating...that was the word I was looking for to describe the task of putting the FJ on it's centre stand. As has been previously mentioned, the secret is to ensure that the bike is perpendicular to the direction of effort AND,ensure the front tyre (handlebars) are straight. Any angle either way, will result in an accumulative increase in effort and resistance on your part to take the bike past the intimidation point.

Eat more. At 210 lbs, there's no lifting involved at all. Just stand up on the center stand tang and up she goes.

Just got my new FJ about a month ago and have been straining to get her up on the CS. Reading this thread prompted me to try a few things. Here's what works for me and makes it easiest. Face LH side of bike, right hand in the recessed handle under the seat, left hand on the left grip with front wheel straight, stand mostly on left foot and then press Center Stand down with right foot while bringing bike upright so both feet on CS touch, then (while firmly holding bike with both hands) press down hard on right foot and it pops right up. It sounds weird but it works. Don't try to lift bike up with right hand because it's too heavy and it just hurts your back. If you press down hard with right foot it makes it much easier. I think it's like they always say at work when you are lifting something heavy: "Lift with your legs and it'll save your back" or something like that.

As everyone has said, it's about technique not strength. I'm a 66 year old weakling and can do it without effort. This is one of the easiest bikes to get on the stand I've owned.

Latest posts