Penny for your thoughts - on tiger 800

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
Well, I traded in my 03 FJR on a new Victory Vision Tour about 8 months ago. I ride every day, no matter the weather, and wanted something that can power heated gear for me and the wifey, and had all the bells and whistles possible.

While it's still a great bike, commuting on a 900 pound behemoth is a little overkill and to be honest, after a few months, it turns out that for me, the sport-touring ergonomics fit me better.

So I'm thinking of keeping the Vision for two-up and long distance comfort, and something smaller for when I'm tooling around town and within 150 miles or so. From the looks of it, the tiger 800 looks a whole lot like a mini-FJR! Ergonomics are almost the same, uses regular gas, probably about the same tank range, and a whole lot more alternator.

Any FJR'ers take one out for a test ride and can offer thoughts? Is it as close to an FJR as it seems to be on paper? I KNOW I was comfortable on the FJR, and I certainly wouldn't mind a smaller, lighter bike that feels close to one.

Alexi

My thoughts: I think I want one! :D

That being said, have you considered other options, like....a used FJR? An FZ-1 or Bandit 1200? DL-650 (WeeStrom)?

I mean, not knowing your budget and what purposes you might use the bike for beside commuting..... :dntknw:

I have ridden a WeeStrom. After 3 days on my KLR it felt big but after I got home and rode the FJR,, that felt like the "big bottom girl" it is.

The upside to the Suzuki is the huge aftermarket supply, the various forums available for support and a rather large dealer network. But having a shiny, new Tiger 800 in the garage would be lovely, wouldn't it!?!? Have you seen the one Twisted Throttle outfitted for adventure touring?

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=3231.msg23629#msg23629 My Friend Uri Schumm just rode one through Austria, Croatia and Slovenia and he loved it! Uri's ridden the Alps many times!

IMG_2910.JPG

From Uri: "The next morning after a very good breakfast provided by the hotel we took off on our pre-selected motorcycles. The weather was misty and the streets wet. Neither of these conditions cramped our style as we climbed the Julian Alps that would take us into Slovenia. This was my introduction to the ninety five horsepower Triumph Tiger XC that took me over the Loibl Pass. I quickly became comfortable with this powerful and agile motorcycle."

I know. Looks damned nice, doesn't it?!?! Yeah. It'll be basically my "solo" bike, and the victory vision will be the "two-up" bike. Bluetooth technology has come leaps and bounds and I'll probably stream music through my phone to a bluetooth headset. And extra wattage for heated seats/vest will be make me happy.

It looks good, and looks like a 460 pound sport tourer to me.

Alexi

I know. Looks damned nice, doesn't it?!?! Yeah. It'll be basically my "solo" bike, and the victory vision will be the "two-up" bike. Bluetooth technology has come leaps and bounds and I'll probably stream music through my phone to a bluetooth headset. And extra wattage for heated seats/vest will be make me happy.

It looks good, and looks like a 460 pound sport tourer to me.

Alexi
I rode the 800 a few months ago and loved it! The engine is awesome! So much so, I convinced my boss to buy one. (Sure hope he likes it...) It should arrive in a week or two.

Since picking up a 10K $ Tiger is out of my budget, I bought a super-clean used SV650S from a fellow inmate here for ($2600) my 'lightweight' bike. I think I've put at least as many miles on it his year as the FJR.

I've ridden both the regular 800 and the XC. Unless you're planning on a lot of off roading, the regular 800 would be the bike. Less expensive also. They're both great bikes and have received very high reviews. :)

My Buddy Uri is a true confirmed Beemerholic, just like Papa Chuy; but he absolutely loved the Triumph Tiger, so much so that he would add one to his BMW stable.

This photograph was taken last month in Kropa, Slovenia. Uri and I both started on BMW's in Germany; he picked up his 1969 R69US in October of 1968 at the factory in Munchen and I bought my 1966 BMW R60/2 from my Bavarian landlord in March of 1969 in Augsburg. What Uri liked most is the lightness and agile handling of the Tiger, like BMW used to have with the 'R' Airhead machines; coupled with the 95 horsepower, you have ein Motorraden perfectly suited for Alps and Dolomites riding!

IMG_2782.JPG

Depends on your budget, physical size, and taste. I find the Tiger to be a fantastic bike and would love one for more dirt and errand running, but that it would be a touch small for long days &/or lots of highway. That's a reason I'm going to be getting one of the first Super Teneres for my next bike.

If budget is any factor in this and you want a ying to the Victory yang, I'd highly recommend a 2005-6 Tiger. I still wonder if I shouldn't have picked one up and kept the FJR. Those were the best years of the breed and nicer than the big 'Stroms.

01lg+2006_triumph_tiger_955i+front_side_view.jpg

What Uri liked most is the lightness and agile handling of the Tiger, like BMW used to have with the 'R' Airhead machines; coupled with the 95 horsepower, you have ein Motorraden perfectly suited for Alps and Dolomites riding!
Thanks for sharing Don.

Wouldn't the FZ-1 be a nice light bike for whipping through the mountains as well?

I sat on Cougar8000's FZ-1 last year and was amazed at how light it seemed compared to the FJR.

He even had those big ass pontoon sidebags on his FZ at the time...

What Uri liked most is the lightness and agile handling of the Tiger, like BMW used to have with the 'R' Airhead machines; coupled with the 95 horsepower, you have ein Motorraden perfectly suited for Alps and Dolomites riding!
Thanks for sharing Don.

Wouldn't the FZ-1 be a nice light bike for whipping through the mountains as well?

I sat on Cougar8000's FZ-1 last year and was amazed at how light it seemed compared to the FJR.

He even had those big ass pontoon sidebags on his FZ at the time...
Mark, I fully agree with you that the FZ-1 would make a perfect machine for the mountains of Europe! However, my Friends Werner und Coral Wachter, the Owners of Edelweiss Bike Tours from Mieming, Austria, do not make the FZ-1 available for rent. They do fully offer Honda's and Suzuki's, but not the FZ-1; I don't know why not!

HONDA CBF - 600; HONDA TRANSALP; SUZUKI V-STROM 650.

BMW F650GS Twin; DUCATI MONSTER 696.

BMW F800; BMW F800GS; BMW F800ST.

TRIUMPH TIGER 800.

BMW R1200R; BMW R1200GS; DUCATI MONSTER 1100; DUCATIMULTISTRADA.

BMW R1200 RT.

I've ridden the 800xc, and I'll add my voice to the chorus of folks singing it's praises. I loved this bike - the engine is sweet & smooth, handling was light and flickable, ergos were good, and the looks were very nice as well. In my opinion, it had plenty of power for one up riding around town. It has nice torque throughout the rev range and has good power.

...In my opinion, it had plenty of power for one up riding around town. It has nice torque throughout the rev range and has good power.
With around/close-to 100 HP and given reasonable weight -- it should be enuff... :eek:

It's a stroked 675 and may incorporate the fun of a 675 with increased usable, every-day, power?

I've a friend who test-rode one (a 'roadie') at a dealer and he praised the engine highly.

I looked at one (a 'roadie') last month at a dealer and thought it was 'right-sized' and came nicely equipped and not 'over done'. Looked like a good bike.

The 'XC' (dirt) versions are a little taller and have tube-type wire-spoked wheels -- the 'roadies' have cast/tubeless wheels.

My local dealer says he's taken "serious deposits" on 16 Tiger 800s.

previously mentioned

All I can tell you is that it's on my want list and, according to the local dealer, they're pretty darn hard to get. Nearly universal positive reviews with a limited first run will do that. We'll see if availability perks up next year.

Very interested to hear from the first person who rides one in an LD rally.

By the time I wear out my feejer, though, there should be plenty of used ones on the market. ;)

...In my opinion, it had plenty of power for one up riding around town. It has nice torque throughout the rev range and has good power.
With around/close-to 100 HP and given reasonable weight -- it should be enuff... :eek:

It's a stroked 675 and may incorporate the fun of a 675 with increased usable, every-day, power?

I've a friend who test-rode one (a 'roadie') at a dealer and he praised the engine highly.

I looked at one (a 'roadie') last month at a dealer and thought it was 'right-sized' and came nicely equipped and not 'over done'. Looked like a good bike.

The 'XC' (dirt) versions are a little taller and have tube-type wire-spoked wheels -- the 'roadies' have cast/tubeless wheels.

My local dealer says he's taken "serious deposits" on 16 Tiger 800s.

previously mentioned
Indeed. My experience was that it just built up continuously from when you cracked it open - and the next thing you know you're going well beyond legal limits. It punchy and kept going, but didn't build up to the vision blurring top end like the FJR. Basically, it performed exactly as you'd expect. The spoke wheels on the XC are cool looking too. :D

A video from The Adriatic Roller Coaster Ride of my Beemer Buddy Uri Schumm, showing the Triumph Tiger 800 XC in action:

"I just got this video from my friend, Mark White with whom Bob Flanders and I did our Adriatic Roller Coaster trip last month. Mark is a very skilled rider who is active in the motorcycle racing circuit on the East Coast. He and I rode identical Triumph Tiger 800 XC bikes. You can see him overtaking me in my yellow jacket between about 3:25 and 5:00 minutes on this 10 minute video. Soon after me he passes Bob whose bike has a yellow dry bag on the rear seat.The Adriatic Sea is on the left."