People, Places and RUSH!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are my fellow Rush Rat!

I was at the opener in Tulsa, And did the last four show. I just got home from LA and it's time for work!

I had a date with fate in a black sedan, But the force field saved me! ;)

Oh, And i know Kelly well!

Thanks again to all for the kind words!

"You are my fellow Rush Rat!
I was at the opener in Tulsa, And did the last four show. I just got home from LA and it's time for work!

I had a date with fate in a black sedan, But the force field saved me!
wink.png

Oh, And i know Kelly well!"

The final four shows! Awesome!

And as with any great adventure you must have a flexible plan! My flexible plan was to be at the show in LV or LA had I not been able to go through with this ride. A buddy and I researched flights and were ready to pull the trigger on the LA show. I would have loved to have been at the LA show with the rest of you Rats! But fortunately I was able to pull off this adventure. So, on with the show....

DAY 6 - Five Minutes of Fame on Average Every 90 Minutes

406.JPG

It's beyond my ability to accurately contemplate the forces at work that created Old Faithful and especially those that keep her erupting almost like clockwork. I just know that it's one of nature's wonders of the world for good reason. I've been to nine of the 18 listed in this article (with some really great pictures!) https://matadornetwork.com/trips/photo-essay-18-natural-wonders-of-the-usa/ and of those nine, Old Faithful is certainly in the top two or three most fascinating to me. With that in mind I was early to bed the night before departure and early to rise on Day 6 with great anticipation.

Yellowstone is that one national park that most all of us grow up knowing about before we even know what a national park is. Mark it up to Yogi and Boo Boo I guess, but Jellystone, uh, Yellowstone is just one of those places that is ingrained in our being. On the morning I was leaving Kemmerer I felt a similar excitement to that I used to feel as a little kid on Christmas eve. I was almost as equally excited about going to the Grand Tetons, probably because of the name, it just sounds good doesn't it? Tetons! Grand Tetons! I just like saying those words....
coolsmiley02.gif

Problem was, my bed at the Best Western Kemmerer was sooooo comfortable! I didn't want to get up but knowing the treats that lay ahead I forced myself out of bed and packed in record time. I had a quick breakfast of yogurt, surprisingly good eggs for the hotel buffet and a cup of coffee or two. I ran into my buddies from the night before as they were making final preparations for departure on their Idaho wilderness exploration. I wished them well and waved goodbye.

415.JPG

Not long afterwards I was on my way as well. My first stop was in downtown Kemmerer where I stumbled into this interesting trivia tidbit. Who knew?

416.JPG

Then it was onward towards the Tetons!
grin.gif
But first we had some Wyoming prairie land to traverse.

423.JPG

439.JPG

445.JPG

The Yang guy was still following me.

435.JPG

It wasn't long before the terrain changed.

486.JPG

487.JPG

495.JPG

This big girl was keeping an eye on things on this beautiful morning.

496.JPG

Rolled through Jackson Hole, WY. Stopped at the Wort Hotel and the Silver Dollar Saloon, but it was only 10:15 am and the bar didn't open until 11 am. So I just moved on along.

504.JPG

506.JPG

Then, just up the road, there they were, the Grand Tetons! Majestic is an understatement. One of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen for sure.

20150713_114226.jpg

396.JPG

531.JPG

553.JPG

And for those of us that just can't get enough of Tetons, here's one more!
grin.gif

555.JPG

Then after a 30 minute stroll up the John D. Rockefeller Memorial Parkway, I arrived here.

558.JPG

562.JPG

569.JPG

576.JPG

I arrived at the Old Faithful Inn and found a "special" parking spot in the shade. Had time for a little snack and then within just a few minutes, THE show was on.

408.JPG

405.JPG

It is quite the spectacle, but just as soon as it started, it was over. I strapped my gear back on and made my way through that crazy parking lot! I hadn't dealt with traffic like that in quite awhile. It was a little un-nerving. But once I cleared the lodge area things became serene again.

577.JPG

581.JPG

I exited the park at West Yellowstone and started making my way towards my final destination of Dillon, Montana for the evening.

DAY 6 continued in the next post....

Last edited by a moderator:
DAY 6 - continued

I came upon this sight and figured something was amiss...

619.JPG

Turns out, this was the site of a major geological disaster where 28 people lost their lives late in the evening of August 17, 1959. An earthquake struck the region and the mountainside gave way, tumbled down into the valley and blocked the Madison River. It's really quite a fascinating story in which you can read more about it here.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/custergallatin/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5127785

The massive landslide created Earthquake Lake.

625.JPG

630.JPG

640.JPG

649.JPG

It was time to focus on getting to Dillon.

666.JPG

668.JPG

663.JPG

I passed through the neat old town of Virginia City, MT. Seemed like a lot going on from a touristy standpoint. Not generally my kind of spot, but the Old West theme was in full force. I'd really like to go back there some day!

688.JPG

691.JPG

Soon, I was in Paradise.

178.JPG

The desk clerk directed me to the Lion's Den for a superb Prime Rib dinner.

20150713_204754.jpg

When I came outside I found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! What a glorious day. I think that's when I fell in love with Montana.

20150713_214210.jpg

After taking that shot of the rainbow I noticed an older gentleman who had been sitting at the bar a few seats away from me also taking a picture of the rainbow. I stopped to speak to him as I was pulling away. He had overheard my conversation with a local at the bar and said he was from Birmingham, Alabama also. He had just arrived in town that day to spend a week trout fishing. We chatted for a moment, somewhat both surprised that we were running into someone else from our own home town 2,500 miles from home. We had a few more words, each wished each other the best and jokingly said that we'd see each other back at home.

I had traveled "only" 430 miles that day, but WOW what a day? Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Earthquake Lake, awesome prime rib, and a nice soak in the hot tub at the hotel. This was earliest arrival at my hotel on any of the days except for Denver and I really needed it. I was now half way through the ride time wise and just shy of half way mileage wise. This adventure had already far exceeded my lofty expectations and I still had Glacier National Park and Rush to see in Calgary, not to mention Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands to go. I went to bed that evening with a BIG smile on my face knowing that I truly am one lucky dude!

Tomorrow, Glacier and beyond.

^^^^^Love this RR!!

...and I'm not even a Rush fan...awesome photos and verbiage....
Well you should be!
tonguesmiley.gif

Thanks Wheetie! Also, thanks to everyone else who has either sent me a PM, commented here, clicked the like button or just enjoyed the post in general.

Those of you that take the time to share your experiences and post your pictures know that these things take a lot of time. I am always grateful to you guys and ladies who post up your wonderful reports that give the rest of us inspiration to get on the bike and seek out new places. This is just my little way of giving back to the Forum that has given me so much.

Hopefully I can get to Day 7 this evening. For those that have never been to the Sun you definitely want to stay tuned. And for those that have, well, you can relive your memories of that most fabulous place!
ok.gif

Hopefully I can get to Day 7 this evening.
Geez, it's about time.
biggrin.png
Since you are so demanding, on to Day 7!
lol.gif

DAY 7 - Going-to-the-Sun

372.JPG

That big guy caused quite a traffic jam in Glacier National Park and Ranger Smith was none too thrilled. Apparently the authorities don't allow visitors to the park to stop and take photos of wildlife. As I was headed towards the East Gate, along the banks of the St. Mary Lake and in the shadows of Going-to-the-Sun Mountain, I came up on about a dozen cars stopped in the middle of the road in both directions. I quickly realized there was some excitement in the area and spotted the grizzly bear off to my left at a range of approximately 100 yards. I grabbed my point and shot and got the picture above. Then took a couple more and realized I had access to my higher res camera in my tank bag, but by the time I got it out grizzly guy had decided he'd had enough of the gawking visitors. That was fine because about that time Ranger Smith came running up from behind me screaming at some of the idiots who had exited their vehicles and were moving towards the grizzly to get a better shot. P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute". FJRBandit says, "There's a fool born every minute", and he was proved correct in this instance.

So, as you have probably surmised by now, Day 7 involved a visit to Glacier National Park. According to the 2014 list of most visited national parks, Glacier ranks 10th with just over 2.3 million visitors that year. That's somewhat paltry in comparison to the #1 most visited park, Smokey Mtn. N.P. with just over 10 million visitors in 2014. But considering the proximity of Glacier to the population centers of the country and the small window of opportunity to visit due to the park's "season" really only being from late May to September, 2.3 million is really an impressive number. I guarantee you that 2.3 million visitors left Glacier N.P. in 2014 with smiles on their faces. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been - bar none! I highly encourage each of you to make the effort to visit the park if you have never been. Just make sure to allow more time than I did and plan to spend a few days in the region.

On to the day's recap. With only 465 miles on the to do list for the day I still had to get up early and hit the road. You'll recall I had scheduled to have the rubber on my front tire to be replaced on Tuesday in Butte, MT. Well, today is Tuesday and it's time to head to Butte. I had assured the shop manager I would be there when he raised the garage door and stressed that he get right on the job, as I had a big day planned. I held up my end of the bargain and he did too. Kudos to the guys at Staacks Motorsports in Butte, MT, the local Yamaha dealer!

Dillon to Butte was 68 miles so I hit the road just before 8 am. Gorgeous morning heading up I-15 to Butte.

188.JPG

I arrived at Staacks at 8:45 am. I was the first one there!

191.JPG

An hour and a half or so later my wallet was $190 lighter but I had some sticky rubber on the front!

Heading out of Butte I was surprised to see this. Definitely picture worthy -the sign that is.
coolsmiley03.png

200.JPG

Then it was up I-90 towards Deer Lodge. Remember that name, you'll hear it again shortly. I exited onto US 12 and then headed north on MT 141, to MT 200.

211.JPG

213.JPG

I was starting to run a little low on fuel and saw some signs begging people to get off the beaten path and stop in the little town less than a mile off the main highway. The name of the town was Ovando. I thought what the hell and headed down the chip seal road with no idea what was in store.

219.JPG

Well, what I found was a really neat general store, with gas, food, supplies and even a room or two for rent. I didn't need a room but I did need fuel and a snack or two. After filling up with Premium gas, because they didn't have any Regular, I pulled up to the front to free up the pump, merely out of habit because there was no one waiting and very likely wouldn't be for awhile. I got into a conversation with a local rancher and his wife about how peaceful it was in Ovando and it seemed to be a little slice of heaven on earth. They beamed ear to ear as they had chosen Ovando as a place to retire to from some hustle and bustle place in California. Turns out, their brother-in-law was from Montgomery, AL, my wife's hometown. Another one to chalk up in the small world category! But trust me, it's about to get even smaller.

Blackfoot Commercial Co. General Store, Ovando, MT

223.JPG

The tee pee was one of the available accommodations for the evening, honestly. That would have been pretty cool!

225.JPG

Main St. Ovando, MT

227.JPG

228.JPG

I thoroughly enjoyed my 30 minutes in Ovando! But I had loftier expectations for the day. So, with the tank full with premium fuel for the first time ever the FJR was ready to purr.

239.JPG

I was on full alert deer watch in this neck of the woods!

247.JPG

So I arrived in the Kalispell area around 3 pm andstopped to take a break. I milled around the gas station for a few minutes and just as I was getting ready to suit up and head towards Glacier a Harley guy came up to me and began to chit chat. He was a local, a Vietnam Vet and one heck of a nice guy. He was heading to the park himself to meet his wife who worked there. He asked if I'd like to follow him up to the park entrance and of course I took him up on the offer.

271.JPG

When we got to the park entrance we stopped and chatted a little more and exchange contact info. My new buddy Noah.

282.JPG

and yours truly....

283.JPG

It was time for me to move on so we said our good byes and I stressed to Noah that he was welcome to my home whenever he decided to make the 2,000 mile trek. He insisted that I go across the street and try a huckleberry ice cream cone. He must have known that I'm a sucka for ice cream, so off I went!

20150714_163340.jpg

Honestly, that is some good stuff! For those that have never had it I would describe it as blueberry like, but not quite as tart. I LOVED it!

284.JPG

Then it was on to the park itself. I'm gonna shut up now and lay the pics on ya!

continued in the next post - picture laden!

Day 7 - continued

minimal commentary, picture laden

Going-to-the-Sun Highway

007.JPG

20150714_175529.jpg

326.JPG

I made it through the Logan Pass, the Continental Divide at 6,846 ft. and started down the east side of the park towards St. Mary, MT

Then I stopped at the original ranger station, built in 1913.

That right there is one fine machine boys and girls!

It was time to wrap up the park visit and head towards Shelby, MT to stage for my assault on the Great White North the next day. One last shot of Glacier before we head over the ridge and put it in the rear view mirror.

I hit rush hour not far from the park.

I thought about stopping and getting a cup of espresso, but with only 45 miles to go I decided to pass on by. Would have been interesting though!

Then on to Shelby. Stopped in and listed to a vacuum cleaner salesman work the bar tender.

Wow, the excitement in this town was killing me! I had a decent burger, a couple of beers and headed for my hotel, for a shower and a soak. After a nice chat with a Harley lady from Gillette, WY in the hot tub I turned in early. All night I studied the maps and was literally torn as to whether I was going north to Calgary or if was going to blow off the Rush show (blasphemy I know) , but Beartooth and Chief Joseph were calling my name. I went to bed, almost convinced I wouldn't need my passport the next day....

Good night John Boy, night Mary Ellen....

028.JPG

P.S. I almost forgot, I mentioned earlier that you needed to remember the name Deer Lodge, MT. Well, as I stopped to take a break at the entrance to the park I received a text from someone very special to me.

Short personal back story: I was adopted when I was only 5 mos old by the best parents anyone could dream of having (God rest their souls)
angel.gif
I know I may be biased, but that's just the truth. Anyway, when I was 21 years old I decided that I had been so blessed I needed to find my birth mother and tell her thank you for giving me life. We established a connection and have maintained a close relationship for 30 years now.

So, that being said my birth mother was following my Spotwalla tracker on this trip. The text I received was from her and she told me a story that I had never heard before. She had seen that I had passed through Deer Lodge earlier that day and told me that her mother (my biological maternal grandmother) was born in Deer Lodge, MT in 1921. To say the least I was blown away to know that only two hours prior I had passed through the hometown of my blood. It was a very powerful experience to me to learn this fact and to this day I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it. I knew from the moment I crossed into Montana that I felt at home, now I had the metaphysical proof of why that feeling was so powerful.

Great adventure, with a great narrative and photo's!

Stopped once for the night at the Deer Lodge KOA. Close by they had the old Montana State Pen opened up for a self guide tour that was interesting. Next to the prison was three different Museums one a auto Museums that was pretty nice. Good memories of that family trip were left there.

wow.

That is some tear inducing writing about your kin.

Photos outstanding again.

I owe you a beer for sure whenever we meet.

This is a top five RR for me....just awesome stuff.

Hellva Ride Report.

If you do come up to Calgary and have some spare time, come on up to Ponoka ( couple hours North)

Your more than Welcome to stay, service the Bike, BBQ, Beer, Whatever.....

Thanks guys! You're comments are much appreciated. Looking forward to taking you up on those generous offers as well!
thumbsupsmiley.png

DAY 8 - We Travel on the Road to Adventure

20150716_004939.jpg

We travel on the road to adventure

On a desert highway straight to the heart of the sun
Like lovers and heroes, and the restless part of everyone
We're only at home when we're on the run
On the run...

Dreamline, Rush - Roll the Bones 1991

So I woke up Wednesday morning, July 15th, and was still grappling with my plan for the day. I was really, really torn because I wanted to head back to Wyoming and ride the Beartooth Highway and then swing around to Chief Joseph. But the more I thought about it the more I came to realize that I would be back, but Rush may not. This was possibly my last chance ever to see Rush in concert again. It has been suggested that this tour was, at a minimum, their last large scale tour. Reports are that Neil doesn't seem to want to continue to tour and Alex is suffering from debilitating arthritis in his hands. That's not good for a world class guitarist! So I just made a command decision and headed towards Calgary. I was only 230 miles out so I was in no hurry. However, I wanted to get into Calgary early enough to check out the town and enjoy the pre-show festivities.

I struck out of Shelby, MT around 10 am. Made it to the border and had to find somewhere to safely store my personal protection device and my Passport - no, not that one, the 8500 x50 radar detector, two items not allowed to be carried into Canukistan. So I located a parcel storage place and struck a deal with the dude for him to securely store my contraband for 24 hours for $10. I thought that was very fair.

Then I geared back up and headed to the interrogation line. What is the deal with border agents? I mean really. It's like every time I, finally, pull away from interaction with a border guard I feel like I need to go take a shower. They just make me feel like such a convict. It's un-nerving and takes a few miles before I shake that feeling off. I hadn't quite gotten over it yet when I stopped for this photo.

447.JPG

But then I settled in for a nice two hour ride to Calgary. No that long after I crossed into Canada I saw this sign. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself, but it's really sad, these signs are in our future here in the U.S. as well, so get used to it. I'll quickly digress to stay within the Forum rules....
derisive.gif

448.JPG

Not long after that I began taking in the beautiful sights of rural Alberta.

450.JPG

463.JPG

465.JPG

467.JPG

Then, in short order I was there.

472.JPG

480.JPG

It was pushing 3 pm and I needed to find a hotel. I had already stopped at the Downtown Marriott and was quoted $275 plus $39 "valet" parking, uhhh, I don't think so. I stopped at Micky D's and bummed their free wi-fi so I could search for a room. They did sell me a fish sandwich, so I guess I was legal.
shades2.gif
Finally found an acceptable room at a decent price at the Airport Best Western. Headed over there, checked in and took a short siesta then headed downtown for the show. Made my way to the bar at Cowboys Casino where I met my new buddy Dave. I loved his shirt!

20150715_200211.jpg

and another, and another and another... I think you get the picture. Then we struck out for the show just a few blocks away.

20150715_204348.jpg

20150715_204536.jpg

I go strolling in and locate my seat. There was a young lady sitting alone in the seat next to me. So we begin chatting and I learn that her name is Helli and she is from Finland! And I thought I was going to win the award for "furthest traveled"!
agree.gif

20150715_211205.jpg

Helli had family in the Calgary area but she had traveled to Calgary specifically to see Rush and visit family while she was in town. Obviously she is a huge Rush fan and was an excellent companion throughout the show! We had a blast together rocking to the music and signing along with many of the songs.

I had other characters all around. This Calgary crowd was IN TO IT! I was so glad I decided to come to this show. Not long after it started I spotted my friend from the KC cue line - Kelly D, remember the self described, "Jet setting, party girl", well, she was there too! Front row, center! (pardon the really crappy picture)

060.JPG

Also spotted on the front row was turbin guy. He is a notorious Rush fan who is often seen at shows around the world, always on the front row. He's even in the reel of fan photos the band played on the big screen behind as a tribute to their fans through the their 40 years of touring. BTW, Kelly D reports on her fan page that she is also included in that tribute. Here's turbin guy on the front row.

034.JPG

....and here he is on the fan reel. Pretty cool of the band to pay tribute their fans like that.

284.JPG

But, here's my all time favorite Rush fan, other than myself of course.
coolsmiley.png
Like a kid going to a baseball game, he brought his own drumsticks! I LOVED it! He was sitting directly across the isle from me and we became big buds for the next three hours.

081.JPG

This crowd rocked! They had so much damn fun!

073.JPG

074.JPG

and then this guy had to come along, party pooper.

083.JPG

But we didn't let him ruin the fun!

085.JPG

146.JPG

161.JPG

Oh, by the way, the band showed up too!

100.JPG

Even the Canadian blow up guy was having fun!

134.JPG

I swear they didn't play three hours! No way - this show went by in no time. The band fed off this crowd's energy and you could tell they were having a blast too. It was one of the best Rush shows I've ever seen and I kept thinking to myself how glad I was that I decided to make the trip!

160.JPG

Then it was back to Cowboys for a nightcap, where I played Scrabble with my new Rush friends.
meeting.gif

20150716_004918.jpg

Tomorrow we start the 2,300 mile journey towards home, but the adventure isn't over, we still have four more days to go!

Yeah Craig - I asked that usher the same question. I thought it was ridiculous that he kept giving everyone hell about standing up. As you saw in a couple of pics, he eventually lost the battle.

DAY 9 - 24 Hours

20150716_084506.jpg

That's a shot at the hotel the following morning. I might have overdone it a bit the night before!
weirdsmiley.gif
With Billings, MT as the target destination for the day I really had needed to get out early. But it was pushing 8 am and I still hadn't left out yet and was, for once, dreading a 535 mile day. The only thing I had planned to do other than make some serious mileage was to stop in Great Falls and visit the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center. Just as I got the bike loaded and ready to head out it started raining. Considering it was at best around 55 degrees this situation called for the Frogg Toggs. That was a difficult task considering the condition of my head.
uhoh.gif
Somehow I managed and made my way into the Calgary rush hour traffic with a steady rain. As I finally reached the other side of Calgary the temp had dropped to 51 degrees. Oh well, I had ridden 3,400 miles to this point and other than my Wizard of Oz moment back in Kansas the weather had been fantastic! It wasn't too long and I had the dark clouds in my rear view mirror.

483.JPG

Then, not long after passing through Claresholm I came up on a bad accident. The authorities were detouring traffic around the accident through a gravel road. I ended up doing about 10 miles of dual sport riding!

502.JPG

504.JPG

After I got back to the pavement the skies were still dark but fortunately no rain.

505.JPG

Just under four hours later I was back in the USSA! It had only been 24 hours since I had entered Canukistan, but it had been a lot of fun. Some day I expect to go back to Calgary but I'll be there much longer than a day. I had to stop in and pick up my "parcel" and then it was onto I-15 S, next stop Great Falls.

524.JPG

528.JPG

The "Great Falls"

535.JPG

537.JPG

Then, one of the "don't miss" waypoints I had laid out in the initially planning of the ride. I read Stephen Ambrose's "Lewis and Clark - Undaunted Courage" almost 20 years ago and have always been fascinated with the story. It is one of the greatest stories from the early days of our country. So despite being extremely tired and still having a couple hundred miles to go, I had to stop and tour the museum.

542.JPG

544.JPG

546.JPG

550.JPG

It was time to move along and get to Billings. More Montana countryside.

566.JPG

573.JPG

Then more dual sport riding. This was the first of two construction zones like this with over 10 miles of gravel. It wasn't really any trouble, just more delay on a day I was in no mood for delay!

578.JPG

589.JPG

Look close in this shot, see the big guy springing along? He had just been in the road and the car in front of me had to come to a complete stop. Then, he just started hopping along the side of the road and then up the side of the butte. Beautiful creatures, but they present such a great danger to us out there!

592.JPG

Approaching Bllings, more rain.

599.JPG

So I get into Billings. I've been on the road for right at 10 hours and guess what, rooms are sparse, again. I located a couple of rooms but I had already busted my $100 per night budget average so I wasn't interested in the $150+ rooms. I called a Super 8 in Hardin, MT, 45 more miles down the road. At least it was in the direction I was headed the next morning, just over $100 so I locked it down.

When I got to the hotel the clerk told me he had just sold out. Fortunately I had given him my credit card when i called earlier and he had my room reserved! As I was unpacking I saw this car in the parking lot. It's tough to read the tag in the picture but they were from Virginia!! Wow -- that's a long way to be traveling in that thing!

600.JPG

So I got my gear unpacked, took my shower and stumbled over to Taco John's for some dinner. My brother and my 7 yo nephew had driven up from Dallas to meet me and go to Mt. Rushmore with me the next day. They were camping outside of the Badlands for the night. We made plans to meet at Deadwood at 1 pm the next day. I said good night and turned out the light, worn azz out!

That was my toughest day of the entire trip, so far. I guess because I had gotten such little sleep the night before, coupled with the fact I had just covered almost 600 miles with several delays and 30 miles of dual sport on the FJR. That's not fun folks. I've done a few miles of gravel out of necessity before on the FJR but it's always a little un-nerving! But reflecting back on the trip so far I had nothing to complain about at all. It had been a fantastic adventure and I still had some 1,800 miles to go.

Here's the link to my Spotwalla for the entire trip.

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=df0f559c46521d653

Next up, Deadwood, Rushmore and the Badlands. see ya again soon ---

DAY 10 - Head East Old Man

20150717_142807.jpg

It was time to start making the long trek home. But first I had a few more places to visit. One of those was Devils Tower. Unfortunately, due to the aggressive ride plan I had to pass it by on this trip. It didn't bother me too bad though because by this time I was thoroughly convinced it wouldn't be long before I was back in this part of the country. I had enjoyed my time throughout this ride immensely and can't wait to get my wife on the bike and get back out there!

So on this day I was headed to Deadwood, then to Mt. Rushmore, on to the Badlands and then make as many miles as I could into the dusk. My brother recently learned that his job was being eliminated as a larger fish bought the company he worked for and of course his job was one of those not needed now. He had a little time on his hands so he and his son, Issac, jumped in the car on Wednesday, the 15th and headed up to Hutchinson, KS and hit the Strataca Salt Mine Museum. https://www.kansastravel.org/hutchinson/kansasundergroundsaltmuseum.htm

They had a blast there then headed north and hit the Badlands on Thursday, camped near the park and planned to meet me in Deadwood Friday at 1 pm.

Since I was meeting them at 1 pm I just didn't have time to swing by the tower. But like I said, no biggie, I'll be baaaack.
winksmiley02.gif

Passed through Spearfish, skipped Sturgis and headed to Deadwood.

635.JPG

I made it at the appointed time and they were only about 10 minutes behind me. Not long after that we were strolling the streets of this old, historic town.

640.JPG

644.JPG

20150717_142720.jpg

Soon, it was time to wave goodbye to Deadwood. But I will most certainly be back! I'm sure Issac will too someday. His dad is ingraining the spirit of travel and adventure in him just as our parents did for us back in the day.

651.JPG

Then through Keystone - not sure I'd like this town too much. Seemed way over the top touristy! Interesting, just not my style.

667.JPG

Then around the corner to see the gathering of the Prez's!

669.JPG

670.JPG

Paid the $11 rip off parking fee, but got the up close and personal view! (Why doesn't my annual park pass get me in here???)

167.JPG

Time to say good bye to the fam. I know they had their own great 5 day trip, just father and son with some camping thrown in. I really appreciate my brother Colby making the effort to come all the way up from Dallas to meet me, even if it was just for a brief moment due to my schedule. He knew that going in but was a sport about it and did it anyway to "make memories". Cool.

170.JPG

Then, I was back on my own. With just over 300 hundred miles under my belt for the day and it pushing 3 pm I really needed to hustle. I wanted to knock out as much as I could today to cut into the 1,000 plus I would have over the final two days.

I jumped on I-90 and struck out for the Badlands, with showers lurking all around.

686.JPG

Made it to the Badlands around 5 pm. Just dabbled around a bit but loved it!

688.JPG

691.JPG

174.JPG

171.JPG

173.JPG

Pulled a Clark Griswold and off I went.

703.JPG

Back to I-90. Stopped for fuel about 30 miles down the road and spoke with a deputy sheriff at the gas station. My plan was to turn due south and make my way into Nebraska for the evening. I asked him about the road conditions and he said that the road wasn't what I needed to worry about. He strongly advised against my plan due to it being Friday night. He said that the number of intoxicated drivers in that area would pose too great of a risk to me, especially being on a bike. So I opted for the boring east bound I-90.

710.JPG

It was pushing 7 pm and I stopped in Chamberlain, SD for fuel. This guy saw my Alabama tag and with the shirt he was wearing he just had to comment.

719.JPG

He said that he was from Michigan and that he and his brother had just begun a month long journey to Alaska. I told him I was going to try to make Sioux Falls for the evening and he suggested i find a room. He told me they had been watching the Weather Channel and the storms that I had been watching off to my south for the past hour were approaching and contained large hail. I thanked him for the info and wished him well on their journey.

I then jumped on the phone and located a Super 8 that was just across the Missouri River in Chamberlain. Even though I felt I had a couple more hours in me I went ahead and booked it. So after 600 miles I went ahead and turned in for the night with plans of departing at first light the next morning. Two days to go and 1,240 miles from home.

724.JPG

DAY 11 & 12 - Home!

008.JPG

I stuck to my plan and was up and at 'em at first light. I had 1,240 miles to cover over the next two days and then back to work on Monday bright eyed and bushy tailed. So I really wanted to make some miles on Saturday so that Sunday would be a stroll in the park. I loaded the bike, put the kick stand up and hit the "Home" button on the Garmin.

It was a little brisk, but I welcomed the cool air because I knew in a few hours that was all going to be behind me, at least for the next two or three months. It was an absolutely gorgeous morning!

005.JPG

009.JPG

012.JPG

021.JPG

I saw the next generation of adventurers, camped along the banks of the Missouri near Sioux City, SD.

025.JPG

I made my way south to Kansas City and encountered a line of showers. It was 82 degrees north of the showers and then 30 miles south of the rain, this!

030.JPG

Turned into this.

031.JPG

That's my riding jacket sitting in the ice box at a Pilot Truck stop in somewhere Missouri. It was hotter than three hells! Having been in the mild temps for the past week I had gotten soft.
dribble.gif

Even in my stupper I managed to maneuver through this goofy intersection in Branson, MO. WTF??

033.JPG

I found a picnic table in front of a VFW in somewhere Missouri. Man I needed a break, it was burning up, even at 6 pm.

20150718_175858.jpg

Then, with 820 miles under my belt, I called it a day. Stopped in West Plains, MO.

036.JPG

I took a COLD shower, chilled out for a bit then went and found a little sports bar. Had some fish tacos and a couple of cold beers. Then is was back to the room to rest up for the final 420 miles to the house the next day.

Since I didn't have "that far" to go I didn't get in a big hurry the next morning. But by the time I pulled out at 8:30 it was already warning up!

038.JPG

I made my way back through Arkansas the way I had come up 12 days earlier. I generally don't like retracing steps, but it was the quickest way home and I was missing the wife and my puppy dogs. It was time.

I knew I was back home when I saw this on an overpass in Mississippi.

048.JPG

I guess it's a good thing this ride report is coming to a close because I could really go off here, but I won't. I'll merely limit it to this, this battle is about liberty, pure and simple. First the flag, now it's monuments and it's not going to end there. We better all stand up for our freedom before it's too late! If you want to discuss it further, pro or con, feel free to send me PM and we can take the chat off this forum, because I understand this isn't the place for all of that. But this is a serious issue people and I am prepared to defend our freedoms at ANY cost. Are you? There, I'm done.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming....
grin.gif

Well, we've reached the end of an incredible journey. I've tried to relate my experiences to you primarily through photos and limit my chatter, although sometimes it was necessary to put matters into context. On this journey I met a lot of people and enjoyed great conversations with many of them. I visited four national parks, two national monuments, saw three Rush concerts, covered 5,600 miles and used approximately 150 gallons of fuel. I made memories with my brother and nephew and enjoyed our brief time together. It truly was one of those moments in life that will be seared into my memory forever. Thanks for taking the time to follow along with me and again, I appreciate all of the kind comments and encouragement throughout the posting of this ride report. There are so many of you that do such a great job with these things I feel it's hard to measure up. But it is what it is, and this one has been mine.

I leave you now with the Yin to the Yang of 5,600 hundred miles before!

054.JPG

Good night and Good bye....