Pirelli Angel GT's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up another set of Angel GT's to install later this season. On my ST's I was able to get 8,500 miles on the rear and 11,000 on the front. The GT's appear to be increasing the life of the rear to over 10-11,000 easy as compared to the ST. I still have plenty (half) of tread and horns showing in the center on the rear at 9,300 miles. Please remember they offer TWO GT tires for our size and we need to purchase the SPEC A for the FJR as it is a heavier bike. The construction is a bit beefier and the tire costs another $20-$30 than the base GT. That may be why we are seeing reports of some owners getting really poor longevity from the GT.

Some comparison photos & data: the rear had 8001 miles on it, with a center tread depth of .004" (the new tire has .008").
16616784789_3d82ed95ea_c.jpg

16802899915_674beab422_c.jpg

Probably good for 750-1,000 more local miles...but I have some trips coming up, so, better safe than sorry!
Do you mean 4 mm (.16") and 8 mm (.32")? .004 (in.) is about the thickness of a hair. I think .08" is about at the wear bars and a new rear tire would have about .32" to start out. I believe the Angel front stars out with about 6.5mm (.26")

Storby brings up a good point TWO specs for these tires: regular sport tour Angel Gt and SPEC A beefier touring tire that's also $20 or so higher. You can tell which one you have or see in a store the

regular sku # is 2213

SPEC A heavy duty is 2214 you will see these stamped on side of tire...............

The "A" Spec tire also has the letter "A" on the sidewall after the "Angel GT". I just bought a set and had to return the rear tire because they sent the regular tire when I had ordered the "A" Spec. Got the right one an installed them the other day. Haven't had a chance to get out and ride though :(

I have ridden the A-spec and one that wasn't..... can't tell the difference. I would think that the difference would be 'seen' (felt) when fully loaded up with a passenger and gear. Otherwise, no issues.

I know that this is headed directly to NEPRT, and I'd put it there if I could.

Wanted to add a data point on the Pirelli Angel GT, specifically the front. These are mounted on an '07, bike is ridden 70% solo. I'm sub 135# and Miz ny-baa is sub 110#. Rear still has 2-3K left; front is to the wear bars. Not cupped but worn. I'd noticed she was hard to turn but never dreamed that the front would be shagged at 5200 miles.

Live and learn. T-30 EVOs on the way.

Strange. I got almost 12K miles out of my front Angel GT and the rear was still good to go when I swapped them out. Also for a set of T-30 EVO's...GT's to be exact. But that was only because they were on sale for a screaming deal. Do you run your tires at 42/42 for pressure? That's what I do.

Need to check my notes. Pretty sure 1st set of GTs (A spec) went 12k miles. 42/45 F/R. 80/20 solo/2up. Im 185lbs. Front was fugly (high/low funky tread block wear) but useable last 2k-ish miles. Rear was into the bars. 2nd set now has 2k on em.

Probly the easiest Ive been in general on a set of tires. Except that without TC no way the rear would have lasted that long <whistles innocently>.

Mine lasted OK but I took them off early - front got badly scalloped and resulted in head shake. Were kept properly inflated for the duration.

I'd been running them at the recommended 39F 42R. I'm particular about tire pressure, and check every ride.

I’ve been a big fan of the Angel GT for a few years but lately I changed to Roadsmart III. I get around 6500 rear and 8000 front from both. I changed because of Dunlop’s great rebate offer.

For me, I just recently swapped the OEM tires with a pair of Angel GT "A" spec. The bike handles way better than it did even when new. It drops into turns so easily and stays planted. If I only get 5,000 miles out of the front, I won't care because I love the feel of the bike now so much better. We'll se if I still feel this way in six months, lol...

Dan

The bike didn't handle too bad with the ('07) OE tires on it when I got it ('13...), but they were old, so they hadda go. The Angels handled great right up to the time they didn't. Much more effort to turn in and a tendency to want to stand up from a turn. Never had a front tire wear out first before, but then this is the heaviest bike I've ever owned. The replacement skinz are in the garage.