Please someone stop the noise

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
  • My Nolan helmet (N104) is to loud ! Every time I go out, I have to put those little yellow marshmallow things in my ears just to hear myself think ! So could someone please stop the noise! Does some make a super quiet helmet ??? Or is the way to go with some kind of high tech ear piece? If anybody could add some "noise" on this subject I would appreciate it.

If you wish to stay with a modular helmet, then the Shoei Neo Tech and the Schuberth C3 Pro are consistently rated as the quietest. I've been wearing a Schuberth C3 for over four years and just recently got a Neo Tech. I think they are about the same when it comes to noise. A modular helmet is going to be louder then a normal full face, I also have a Shoei 1100 and I think it is marginally quieter than the modulars. I think overall the Shoei seems a nicer helmet. Just feels more substantial to me and the interior is plusher.

The noise can be reduced a great deal by using a different windshield and adding some sort of wind deflector to the windshield. I have a Cee Bailey and a MRA X-creen wind screen spoiler. I can adjust that set-up so I'm riding in very calm air on a calm day. Add a little cross wind and the noise level goes up a great deal.

Your problem is nothing that a boat load of money just might fix.

+1 to wearing hearing protection regardless of helmet. You won't/can't solve the harmful and tiring noise levels (from wind) by changing helmets.

I have a C3, generally considered to be one of the quietest modulars. I don't have a barn door screen, but if I duck down, it goes very (relatively) quiet.

But I would never consider riding without some of those "little yellow marshmallow things" in my ears. I've kept pretty good hearing, I intend to continue doing so. Losing half a minute before each ride is well worth not losing hearing for the rest of my life.

My son has just got himself a (non-modular) C2 which he finds significantly quieter than his previous Shoei (don't know the model). He doesn't have a real windscreen on his Monster, and also always wears ear-plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh? What did you say?

I have not worn the N104 but I can speak to the N103 that preceded it. I called it the Nolan Noisemaker. It was a loud helmet.

I have the Shoei Neotec now and it is...less noisy but not quiet. Sadly, I don't think any helmet is truly "quiet".

The conventional wisdom is a barn door windscreen that gives you a GoldWing like pocket of stillness and/or earplugs. Earplugs are the common fix and make the most sense. You can get some custom made for your ear canal.

My only issue with ear plugs is that it renders the helmet comm system nearly useless.

I have some custom made ear plugs and some custom made with speakers in them. I can't tolerate either set for more then an hour. The foam plugs work quite well and are comfortable all day long. Wearing ear plugs is natural to me after 27 years of listening to tank main gun fire and other methods of turning tax dollars into loud noise and smoke. My hearing is still pretty good.

WEAR EAR PLUGS. Even the quietest helmets are at 100db at 70mph. Anything more than small stints will cause irreversible hearing damage. You'll be amazed how much less fatigued you are at the end of a long ride wearing earplugs as opposed to not.
My hearing is bad enough from loud music, motors, and guns from before I learned how important hearing protection is. I always wear ear plugs when riding or using anything else with a motor other than my car or truck.

There is one advantage to hearing loss, I can't seem to hear female voices very well.
cool.png

I also use the N-104 and always wear ear plugs. They don't stop the wind noise completely but I have no problem hearing traffic and don't experience any ringing in my ears after a ride. I buy Moldex Pure Fit by the carton, 200 pair at a time and that generally lasts for more than a single season. They come packed in pairs in a small pouch and I stash those in the tank bag, the little glove box, in my jacket and pants pockets. Always have a pair around somewhere. I tried a couple of different styles from Heros but found them difficult to insert.

Motorcycle riding requires hearing protection period. I use the howard leight foam ones on one bike, and the wax plugs on another. That constant roar will ruin life as you get older, easy solution now.

• My Nolan helmet (N104) is to loud ! Every time I go out, I have to put those little yellow marshmallow things in my ears just to hear myself think ! So could someone please stop the noise! Does some make a super quiet helmet ??? Or is the way to go with some kind of high tech ear piece? If anybody could add some "noise" on this subject I would appreciate it.
Had a Nolan and got rid of it in 2 months.

Got an HJC, got rid of it as well.

Got a Schuberth C3 and a CalSci windscreen......ahhhhhhhhh :)

Still wear ear protection on highway rides though.