PNW SPring Tech Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to learn how to do the TBS and I can change the plugs while I am at it. I'll be there.

Dan,

Look forward to seeing you again. I'm pumped to work on my bike, hang with a great group and learn a bunch.

Dave
Hey Dave,

If Auburn FJR runs out of room for some reason, you and Wingshot can stay at my place. I have a comfy 40' 5th Wheel in the shop that sleeps well. Look forward to hooking up with you guys in the spring.

I'm getting spark plugs from E-Bay, NGK IRIDIUM IX CR8EIX, set of 4 spark plugs 4218 for $34.76 shipped from apwonline

Attending:

1. AuburnFJR + Mrs.
  2. Hudson + Mrs., & sons
  3. BeamerReemer
  4. Duster19
  5. niehart
  6. escapefjrtist
  7. panman
  8. knuclehead
  9. n2osx + Mrs.
  10. wingshot
  11. Night Falcon
  12. Harald ?? (maybe)
  13. Makuna
  14. FJR13k
  15. blufjr ??
  16. Stephen ??
  17. ahchiu
  18. 2wheeltiger
  19. dang
  20. bikerskier ??

Quite a list of folks coming down Brian.

I'll leave the new farkles at home and bring some extra wiring tools, soldering irons, Carb tune and meters and just plan on helping the others out.

These NW guys are lucky to have you as friend, cheers my friend!

Thanks Panman...several are coming just to shoot the breeze. Extra soldering irons and wiring tools will be helpful.

Let's remember, kiddies! If you're gonna get work done "under the hood" like a TBS, plugs, or CC, you need to show up with a VERY SMALL amount of fuel in your tank. Full tanks are heavy and they get sloppy.

"Fire extinguisher not included."

Let's remember, kiddies! If you're gonna get work done "under the hood" like a TBS, plugs, or CC, you need to show up with a VERY SMALL amount of fuel in your tank. Full tanks are heavy and they get sloppy.
"Fire extinguisher not included."

Good advice. I will bring soldering tools and wire cutters too.

Great advice (low fuel in tank) and another great reason to put more miles on the bike. :bike:

I plan on bringing soldering tools and new dremel with flexible extender for those hard to reach places.

Now can someone besides myself politely ask mother nature to keep the snow and freezing rain above 3,000 feet so I can ride. :banghead:

Date: Saturday March 14th.
Start: Noon (offical start) you can show up as early as 10 AM if you want to.

Finish: whenever Saturday evening

Location: AuburnFJR's house in Auburn, WA. (send me an email to get directions...
Hey Bryan, I sent email but I haven't got a reply for directions yet. I know we still have a month before it happens but I was just making sure my mail didn't go into a bucket somewhere.

Date: Saturday March 14th.
Start: Noon (offical start) you can show up as early as 10 AM if you want to.

Finish: whenever Saturday evening

Location: AuburnFJR's house in Auburn, WA. (send me an email to get directions...
Hey Bryan, I sent email but I haven't got a reply for directions yet. I know we still have a month before it happens but I was just making sure my mail didn't go into a bucket somewhere.

I was waiting until I had several to send and then would send them all at once. Reminder to others send me an email bryan-0011 at live dot com for the directions.

Finished the first pass of installing the fuse block, Zumo, Radar, GMRS Radio, audio plug for ipod, etc. I will use our time at Bryan's to just clean up a cable or two and tweek anything that I find I don't like between now and then. I will also take the time at Bryan's to find a permanent location for the helmet plug-ins for the communications system.

While I could have done it all quicker if I had a deadline, I will say that it is a time consuming process to do this job and do it correctly. Please think through that before taking your bike apart at the tech meet. You would sure hate to not be done, or not have something working and leaving you stuck.

Lessons learned for those of you about to tackle this:

1) For power, I went with 10 ga. romex looking stuff from West Marine called two strand safety wire - or something close to that name. It is excellent for this job, but 10 ga. was too big. I ended having to trim down the end so it would be thin enough to go into the fuse block terminal. Nice to have the bigger pipe to that point though, but consider 12 ga.

2) I used a posi-tap for picking the power off of the tail light for the switched power signal. On my 07 it was the blue wire. I also used a posi-lock to splice in a fuse folder at the battery end. These things work great, but they are very bulky compared to anything else, thus a little harder to stash.

3) Bell wire works very well for toys with small current draw. I built my own radar connection with it and it is sturdier than what the manufacture used. Likewise, it was thicker than Garmin's power lead and about the same as Starcom. Very easy to work with and even easier to run. I will bring some of this along to the tech meet.

I will bring lots of terminal connections to the meet as well as plenty of 16 ga wire for the switched connection, etc. If your doing a fuse block, you will need your own line from the power source as well as an in-line fuse. These are readily available in 12 ga wire and don't forget the 30A fuse for it. I have a few laying around if needed though. For your main power run, I used 6 feet of the 10 ga and it was right on the edge of being too short. Consider 6.5 feet of 12 ga. If you guys don't have good access to a West Marine or something similar, I will pick up whats needed if you send me a note with enough advanced notice.

Oh - while testing these toys on a run up hwy-18 today - the newly connected radar detector piped in the tell-tale tone of a KA band radar. Zumo told me I was behaving reasonably well and was only going 80. I slowed down and moved over and saw the LEO after a couple of turns. He already had a customer but I was pleased with the new farkles. See you all soon.

Hi,

I'm up in Kirkland and would really like to figure out how to do the Throttle Body Sync. I have the an old set of carb stix, but when I took the tank off, the tubes were the wrong size. Since then I've bought the FJR shop maual, but haven't had time to try it. I'll send you a note...

Hi, I'm up in Kirkland and would really like to figure out how to do the Throttle Body Sync. I have the an old set of carb stix, but when I took the tank off, the tubes were the wrong size. Since then I've bought the FJR shop maual, but haven't had time to try it. I'll send you a note...

Come on down for the tech meet. There will be several TBS going on wnad extra tools so you can do yours. Send me an email at bryan-0011 at live dot com. I'll send out my address so you can mapquest or use your GPS to get here.

Hi, I'm up in Kirkland and would really like to figure out how to do the Throttle Body Sync. I have the an old set of carb stix, but when I took the tank off, the tubes were the wrong size. Since then I've bought the FJR shop maual, but haven't had time to try it. I'll send you a note...

Come on down for the tech meet. There will be several TBS going on wnad extra tools so you can do yours. Send me an email at bryan-0011 at live dot com. I'll send out my address so you can mapquest or use your GPS to get here.
Or...if you don't want to wait that long, PM me and we can crack it open and do a sync before then. Panman wants to do his fairly soon as well, kinda kill two birds with one stone. Bike is scheduled for a new ignition switch next Saturday, only conflict so far...

--G

Or...if you don't want to wait that long, PM me and we can crack it open and do a sync before then. Panman wants to do his fairly soon as well, kinda kill two birds with one stone. Bike is scheduled for a new ignition switch next Saturday, only conflict so far...

--G

Thats funny mine goes in next Saturday also!

That will work out though I still have the Brodie relay I want to insall when I do the TBS.

I just thought of another thing to do, I plan on removing the Air Induction System, anyone intrested in doing this let me know and I can get the tube and plugs for under $10.00, if you get popping on decel you might want to do this. the list keeps getting longer..

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I wish we had a group like this is AB. I want to do many of the mods discussed but hesitant to attempt on my own. Will you let Canucks come down and watch... and help... and learn? Too far for a wknd, and likely too cold at that time of year, to ride down but may be worth a flight for the education! Might be a valuable use of a weekend!

Beamer Reamer thanks for the tip

I will say that it is a time consuming process to do this job and do it correctly. Please think through that before taking your bike apart at the tech meet.
It might be wise to keep it simple and only install the fuse box without the runs for accessories. Along that line of thinking, it brings me to a question I have been pondering. In my reasearch, I have seen a few locations used for installation, but am wondering if there is a good suggestion or reason (that a newbie like me is unaware of) for not using the glove box?

Man, I wish we had a group like this is AB. I want to do many of the mods discussed but hesitant to attempt on my own. Will you let Canucks come down and watch... and help... and learn? Too far for a wknd, and likely too cold at that time of year, to ride down but may be worth a flight for the education! Might be a valuable use of a weekend!

If you want to fly down, we will find a way to pick you up and get you sorted. I have room if you don't mind a small amount of normal family chaos. Dog, cat, teenagers...the usual.