Pondering the dual sport again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Looking at the TE Husqvarna bikes. I swear DCarver said something about these awhile back...

TE 450, 510 and 610 look like candidates.

Anyone know off hand if you can get larger fuel tanks for them?

How about the KTM 640 LC4 Enduro?

I have local dealers for both of these that have been in business for some time. Both have good reps on maintenance and support.

What would you go for?

1st question: Are you going to keep it here in the Central Cal area where the dealers exist? Got plans to adventure tour to Podunk, ID, MiddleOnowhere, CO? HeckanGone UT?

Which one makes your heart go "Pitty-Pat"? (JoyfulGirl not included :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to pick one from that group with out knowing how you plan to ride it.

Do you see yourself riding pavement with a few gravel roads thrown in or are you

looking for a dirt bike that is legal to ride from one trail head to the next.

Maybe something inbetween?

BTW the new KTM EXCs are going to be street legal next year!

For what its worth, Cycle World magazine declared in its annual Bikes of the year that the Husqavarna TE510 was the best Dual Sport.

My plan is to ride in Northern California. Sometimes I might throw the thing in my pickup and go riding, others I'll just take off from my home and head straight to the Sierra. I'll be taking mostly fire roads and old mining roads. There are numerous trails criss-crossing the mountains around here and I plan on toting a fishing pole and hitting as many out of the way alpine lakes as I can. I have no plans on going long distance as there are so many miles of back country roads/trails that It'll take a lifetime to learn what is within 150 miles from my house.

I want the bike between the KLR and the yz450. If I'm going to Alaska, I'll get the GS1200. If I go all dirt then I'd probably go with the wr450 or yz 450 (probably WR)...the XR650R Honda was really tempting too, but I like to know where a bike has been before I ride it.

Hi Orangevale,

I have the LC4 KTM, 2002. It is one vibrating sucker. Both mirrors have broken off due to metal fatigue from vibration. Also, it is made for people with an inseam of 43 inches. I put a lowering link in the rear and dropped the front about an inch and I can still only touch the ground with the tips of my toes (I'm 6 feet). Brad at MPC is good to work with although not Mr. Personality.

Unless their dual sports have changed considerably, I'd get something other than KTM.

If you'd like to ride mine or check it out give me a call or PM me. I have 9000 miles on mine.

I have a 2001 LC4 and I have to agree on the rough ride. I am 6' 2" and I can sit on it flat footed but not by much.

One thing to keep in mind on a lot of these bikes is their miniscule fuel tank. If you are going off road you will need extra gas or an aftermarket tank. I also have a 2002 KLR 640 and they have a nice 6.1 gal. tank that realistically you only get about 5.1 out of.

Well'p, I just gotta new BMW(Big Mistake on Wheels,I always thought) 1200GS dually. Got 4000 miles on it, about half Idaho dirt. 5+gal tank, 45-50 mpg. The Adventure model has darn near a NINE gallon tank on it. This thing's no trail bike but for forest roads (NASTY ones) and 2 up the thing's a gift from Above. I recently rode paved in Oregon with a pal who was on his 04' FJR. Was right on his arsh. This GS is an utterly amazing motorcycle, I kid you not. And it's gotta DRIVE SHAFT ! Opened up whole new worlds to my wife & me. Just got home from a 400 mi dirt ride. Saw hardly anyone.GORGEOUS country. Nasty dirt roads. WHAT FRIGGIN FUN! pea ess, if yer in need of even more gas, Jesse Bags cimpany is comin out with a callapsable gas bag next spring. I want some of'm,BADD.

Well, the decision is made. I am buying a suzuki DRZ400SM with a set of S wheels with a spare set of SM brake rotors. It'll take me 20 min to swap from Super Motard mode to Enduro mode. The front forks are why I went with the SM instead of the S model. The SM front forks are way better on and off road according to someone I know that would know. After my 1:30 conference call, I'm gonna go buy it.

I'm still thinkin' bout a Suzuki DR-650. Same basic mission as orangevaleFJR. Lots of aftermarket goodies available. New ones aren't that expensive and good used ones are to be found. Plenty of dealer support. Wished I had a bigger garage!

What's pretty cool is that I can have the DRZ400SM, and I bought a set of SRZ400S Enduro wheels and tires. The hubs are the same on both wheel as are the spacers. Therefore, I bought an extra set of SM brake rotors and with a minimum of parts swapping I can switch between a really good enduro and a really good Super Motard. Having taken a day long ride on an R1 convinced me that I'm not in the market for a sport bike, and that motard is the way to go for me. The fact that I can switch from motard to enduro with such ease is a huge bonus.

I'm stoked and I pick it all up on Monday :)

What's pretty cool is that I can have the DRZ400SM, and I bought a set of SRZ400S Enduro wheels and tires. The hubs are the same on both wheel as are the spacers. Therefore, I bought an extra set of SM brake rotors and with a minimum of parts swapping I can switch between a really good enduro and a really good Super Motard. Having taken a day long ride on an R1 convinced me that I'm not in the market for a sport bike, and that motard is the way to go for me. The fact that I can switch from motard to enduro with such ease is a huge bonus.
Orangevale,

You won't regret your decision. If you could see inside my helmet on my avatar, you'd see a mile wide grin! Enjoy and find a road course in your area to really wring it out, it's loads of fun.

Orangevale,

You won't regret your decision. If you could see inside my helmet on my avatar, you'd see a mile wide grin! Enjoy and find a road course in your area to really wring it out, it's loads of fun.
Well, they are building a new facility off of Hwy 65 and Sunset North of Rocklin soon. It's rumoured to be getting a dirt track, dirt stunt area, Super Motard track and more!

We'll have to get together!

That's fantastic! Two bikes in one, and two very slick one's to boot! Congrats! :clapping:

Maybe I'm a retard, but I gotta ask, what's "motard"? Besides the BMW 1200GS on-off roader I gotta Suzuki DR400z that i geared down to lowest possible & put real knobbies on for trail riding here in Idaho. It's all beat to heck.It also works great for backroad mixed with trail riding.But for anything that by any stretch can be called a 'road',I take the GS. Have fun !

Orangevale,

Well, they are building a new facility off of Hwy 65 and Sunset North of Rocklin soon. It's rumoured to be getting a dirt track, dirt stunt area, Super Motard track and more!

We'll have to get together!
Keep me posted on the track progress. It's been 10 months since I got my knee down in Phoenix and looking forward to a track that's suited to SuperMoto (tight) instead of straights with 90s at the end. Congrats and hold on to your wallet!

Hey O'vale.. Keep us posted on how the Suzook works in all the environments for you?

My predictions:

1. A little underpowerd and buzzy on I5 and 99.

2. Great in the true dirt, light enough to actually trail with.

3. Secondary paved/dirt roads it will excel.

As an aside, I'd like to see how you set it up to carry extra fuel, fishing poles, tackle, and clothing. I'll soon be doing the same project on my 87 ATK with Xr600 power.

Wanna come over and ride my SX track sometime? :D

Another note: my xr650 buds actually carry two different size CS sprockets carefully fitted to work without having to add/remove chain links. They ride the street with tall gearing, then lower the gearing when the dirt starts. I've been with them when they do this, it takes about 7 minutes, tops. Replace the CS sprocket, adjust the chain, and off they go.

dcarver, interesting question you ask; how do guys carry xtra fuel,fishing tackle ,etc on dualsports? I wear a backpack with 4 piece rod(Cabela's), food for the day, a 4lb inflatable raft( a wonderful thing),4 piece,lite takedown kayak paddle(I fish mtn lakes) and some spare Underarmour stuff for cool high altitudes. No GPS as I know the country.Works great. I don't need it but they make a 4+gallon tank for the DR400 Suzuki.

Dcarver, if your predictions are right I got the right bike. I won't be on the Interstate much, if at all. I live at the beginning of the foothills up here and I'm about 20 minutes of back road to the dirt trails that connect up and spider web all over the Sierra. My other fun will be the twisties around me...and there are plenty close by.

:)