Price on 2014 ES - Good or more wiggle room?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear in mind that everything about a dealership is designed, even the way they greet you, is choreographed in order to extract the maximum revenue from the average Joe that walks through the door. Deception and fraud (usually a bait and switch) are so subtle that the average buyer does not see it. Negotiations are always conducted from a position of strength, not weakness. If one comes into the deal with cash, he is in a different bargaining position than one who comes in with no money and bad credit. I think dealerships right now, prefer the latter as it gives them the opportunity to hide/disguise some of the interest as principle in the cost of the bike. They usually get a fee just for writing the loan, sometimes a piece of the action with the interest as well.

If you can muster the cash and are ready to buy (by having your financing already approved and cash in hand or checking account and done your test ride already), and head off the discussion of credit, Just make a reasonable offer ( the dealership must make a profit) with two options: take it or leave it. Dealerships like to play low-ball by having the salesman go back and forth with the manager wasting your time in the process. Tell the salesman that he has 5 minutes to come back with either a yes or no answer, time it, and if he does not return or has a "no" answer, Thank him politely, and walk out the door.

A few dealerships will show you their purchase documents and the incentives (kickbacks) they get from the factory or distributtor. Mine did not, but they did accept my offer.

PS: they may act friendly, but they are not your friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been contemplating making the move to a 2014 ES recently and have contacted several dealers within 2 hours of my home none of which have an ES on the floor but all have offered to find me one. Today I received an e-mail from one who stated he could get one for me in about a week and the price exclusive of tax and tags would be $14,799.00. I have searched the forum first and this seems to be a decent offer but I am somewhat leery of it being their initial offer which usually means there is a little more wiggle room in their price. Before I try and beat them down more or get them to throw in the ESP plan or whatnot I figured it would be wise to poll the collective here. So what say you?
My current '08 has been rock solid and I've owned it longer than any previous bike but the '14 ES seems like it has enough enhancements over mine that I can justify in my mind making the move. Also I can move some of my favorite things from my old one over to the new like the Russell Seat and the 2Bros exhaust so even a bigger win!

Input appreciated.
You can get it for 14900 plus tax in Martinsburg WV and about the same in Romney WV.

If anyone is still thinking,this may help your decision to buy, my local dealer, Hillview Motorsports ( www.hillviewmotorsports.com ) shows the ES at $14,379.
Quote from their web site listing - certainly not a the price on which you pay taxes . . . .

*Price, if shown, does not include government fees, taxes, dealer freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). Final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected.

If anyone is still thinking,this may help your decision to buy, my local dealer, Hillview Motorsports ( www.hillviewmotorsports.com ) shows the ES at $14,379.
Quote from their web site listing - certainly not a the price on which you pay taxes . . . .

*Price, if shown, does not include government fees, taxes, dealer freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). Final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected.
Dealer freight/prep and documentation is usually $400-1000.

Those of you in non-California areas are fortunate. You can go across state lines and shop. In CA we have to have DMV inspect the bike to ensure it has the CA fuel vapour recirculation devise. Unfortunately it is not as easy as installing one of the damn things, it is posted on the factory frame sticker. The CA dealers know they have us by the nut sack. I wanted the bike early and took delivery in Dec 2013 vin0000021. Dealer would not discount. They did throw in Y.E.S. and set up chg.

Those of you in non-California areas are fortunate. You can go across state lines and shop. In CA we have to have DMV inspect the bike to ensure it has the CA fuel vapour recirculation devise. Unfortunately it is not as easy as installing one of the damn things, it is posted on the factory frame sticker. The CA dealers know they have us by the nut sack. I wanted the bike early and took delivery in Dec 2013 vin0000021. Dealer would not discount. They did throw in Y.E.S. and set up chg.

Which is why I couldn't believe that 500 mile '14 ES that I posted about didn't really get any interest?????

I did a Demo at Hillview Motorsports August of '13. Good folks and their philosophy is to sell cheap. They do have a flat rate for fees (Doc, set-up, and freight), and although I can't remember what it is, IIRC it wasn't all that much. Maybe $500 for everything? Or maybe less.

Which is why I couldn't believe that 500 mile '14 ES that I posted about didn't really get any interest?????

I did a Demo at Hillview Motorsports August of '13. Good folks and their philosophy is to sell cheap. They do have a flat rate for fees (Doc, set-up, and freight), and although I can't remember what it is, IIRC it wasn't all that much. Maybe $500 for everything? Or maybe less.
$300 for me.

Well it arrived at the dealer yesterday. Went down today to inspect it and pay for it. All was in order. He showed me his dealer invoice and while I don't profess to know all the little nuances of those numbers, he sold it to me for exactly $13 above his invoice price based on the paperwork he showed me. No delivery fees, no prep fees and as stated just the sales tax and the $167.50 title/registration and plate fee.

I'm leaving it there until Monday when I can get my wife to give me a ride to pick it up as I'm taking the current FJR on a final trip this weekend before the great farkle swap commences.

Here she is...fresh from the crate or however they ship them.

A44CA5EE-51CF-430F-B9F0-9FA15D43EC1B_zps4kce6hqq.jpg

Well it arrived at the dealer yesterday. Went down today to inspect it and pay for it. All was in order. He showed me his dealer invoice and while I don't profess to know all the little nuances of those numbers, he sold it to me for exactly $13 above his invoice price based on the paperwork he showed me. No delivery fees, no prep fees and as stated just the sales tax and the $167.50 title/registration and plate fee.
I'm leaving it there until Monday when I can get my wife to give me a ride to pick it up as I'm taking the current FJR on a final trip this weekend before the great farkle swap commences.

Here she is...fresh from the crate or however they ship them.

A44CA5EE-51CF-430F-B9F0-9FA15D43EC1B_zps4kce6hqq.jpg
SHHHAWING!

Very nice machine!

Did they instruct you to push down on the gas cap before turning the key?

When I got my '04 a long time ago I noticed some oily residue on the bottom of one of the forks. I immediately thought something was leaking. I called the guy at the dealer and he laughed and said "that's just some grease we used when installing the axle". The big steering stem nut between the handlebars was nice and tight. The dealer has to tighten it during assembly. Some have complained about it not being tight.

Don't know about the bug protection for the radiator fins? Mine got very buggy before I installed a perforated metal overlay.

It looks very nice, but it's torture to look at. I even have a red/black riding jacket, and the RF1100 in red/black is on sale too...

Ah yes... The great farkle swap. You 2nd gen adopters have a decided advantage in that regard.

I really do not want to add up what all of the new farkles cost. If I do, SWMBO may never let me go to another Demo Day!

PS - Congrats. And welcome to the red bike club. Only the cool kids are admitted! ;)

That 'invoice price' is truly misleading. If a dealer REALLY made $13 profit on a $15K sale he'd be out of business in a week . . . . there are rebates and holdbacks and incentives and more that he doesn't show you that impact the real cost.

That 'invoice price' is truly misleading. If a dealer REALLY made $13 profit on a $15K sale he'd be out of business in a week . . . . there are rebates and holdbacks and incentives and more that he doesn't show you that impact the real cost.
As I suspected ergo my disclaimer about not knowing all the nuances within the paperwork he showed me but at least whatever extra he got came out of the $14,799.00 not any "hidden" or additional fees to me like prep, delivery or set-up.

It was simply intended as clarification, rather than criticism . . .

I am sensitised to these issues on several levels, not the least of which was the dealer I normally use, who is a master of being able to convince you that he is doing you a favour by taking your money . . . . I bought a couple of bikes and a lot of 'stuff' from his over the years.

However my ES came from another dealer when I stumbled over an ad on a local bulletin board style web site - I wasn't even shopping for a machine, but rather searching the board for a list of things I am always looking for when I idly typed in FJR1300 and his ad came up with an amazing price. Even then, if they'd actually returned my call or been somewhere that was not a destination I wanted to ride to I'd be on my '06 today.

This one, however made it simple; A kick-ass price for the new machine and trade-in on the old that couldn't be refused - in my case he might have actually lost money when the trade is factored in - he had 2 in inventory and I see that he has raised the asking price on the second one to full retail. My understanding is that there are no more 2014 ES machines in Yamaha's Canadian warehouses, so perhaps he thinks he has black gold on his showroom floor (the season is moving rapidly past it's prime up here, so I wish him luck if that's his plan).

The price he had quoted was all-inclusive with no real hidden last-minute surprises. The only issue I had with my transaction was that he removed a $300 accessory credit coupon I was expecting from Yamaha from the deal without telling me until after I'd signed the contract. Though given my out-of-pocket cost, it really didn't sour the deal for me.

And then just this week he sent me a coupon for 25% off my next purchase of Yamaha accessories - so maybe I will be buying the footguards, OEM sliders and a bottle or 2 of the mystery rear drive oil, instead of using synthetic gear oil out back . . . . . .

I looked at and sat on one last week at a dealership last week.

Their price was suggested retail, $700 shipping, $300 set up atop that, holy crap!! That was for a standard version. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing anything from there.. My old 04 new wasn't anywhere near that...

Couldn't even road test it as it didn't have a battery..

BTW, is the seat hard as a rock or what????

BTW, is the seat hard as a rock or what????
The stock seat on my '14 seems to be that-rock hard.

Help is on the way-my extra seat will be waiting for me when I return from NAFO, having Seth Laam work some magic.
I have never had a problem with the stock seat on any of my FJRs but the 14 does seem a little more firm but I only have a few hundred miles on it so far. I will know more this week when I finally will get a decent shake down test ride while going to NAFO.

Latest posts