Price on 2014 ES - Good or more wiggle room?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dealer Invoice price includes 3% Holdback ( a rebate from Yamaha to the Dealer paid semi-annually).

The Dealer gets a miniscule credit for Assembly, not enough to actually have a competent tech do the job, but it is not rocket science either. Most dealers of any volume have a dedicated setup person.

Yamaha does charge the dealer for delivery or freight.

Fact is the dealer can't stay in business if he sells many bikes for "Invoice" a 3% margin just won't keep the lights on and the staff paid.

As in the New Car business, most of the profit in the deal comes from the trade in, as long as he doesn't own the trade for too long. The other profit center is the Finance Office, if you don't buy anything in there you save money.

A good deal is a deal that makes both you and the dealer happy.

You don't want to feel screwed and he has to make some money to be there if you need warranty service.

Buying a bike at the end of the season, like now, with cash or your own financing and buying your YES plan from the guy in Alabama seems to be the best deal going at the moment. JMHOOMV

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just add one thought to what John said so eloquently above:

Haggling for the last penny may be good sport if you enjoy that kind of thing. I know lots of people do. I do not, particularly.

And if you are the type of person that is buying a new bike on an annual or bi-annual basis, then how much you contribute to the dealership's college fund in each deal may be of some importance to you, though the whack you are taking in actual depreciation overshadows that greatly.

However, when you spread out that dealer "profit" donation of a few hundred dollars here or there over an ownership period of 8 or 10 years, well those few dollars really become pretty insignificant.

Doesn't mean that you have to be a sucker, but why stress over every nickle and dime? Life is too damn short for that.

No matter how good of a deal you get, someone is going to get a better deal. It happens without fail every time. When I bought my FJR, I got a good deal. Not the best, not the worst, but one the dealer and I could live with. I've been happy ever since.

Those of you in non-California areas are fortunate. You can go across state lines and shop. In CA we have to have DMV inspect the bike to ensure it has the CA fuel vapour recirculation devise. Unfortunately it is not as easy as installing one of the damn things, it is posted on the factory frame sticker. The CA dealers know they have us by the nut sack. I wanted the bike early and took delivery in Dec 2013 vin0000021. Dealer would not discount. They did throw in Y.E.S. and set up chg.
Art, I moved from CA and I know what you're saying, but many states have adopted the identical restriction. Here in Pennsylvania where the O.P. lives and purchased his bike is this....

Beginning with model year 2008, “new” passenger cars and light-duty trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 pounds or less that are sold or leased and titled in Pennsylvania must be certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) or be certified for sale in all 50 states. For this program, a “new” vehicle is a qualified vehicle with an odometer reading less than 7,500 miles.
Apparently I can run but I can't hide.

I missed that! I just figured California's screwy law was following me.
nono.gif

Thanks

From my local dealer today via e-mail;

Hey Scott -

Have some news -

Have a price of $15,399 + freight & set-up, tax & doc fee - so figure approx. low $17k OTD.

On the trade-in, got a ballpark of $2,500 - 3,000, pending condition report.

Not what I had hoped for on the trade, but kinda surprised on the $ for the FJR.

It is the non-electric susp. model.

Let me know - I can get you an actual OTD if you like or shoot me back a number & I'll see if

we can do...

Thanks

Denny

The trade would have been my 07 FZ;

From my local dealer today via e-mail;

Hey Scott -

Have some news -

Have a price of $15,399 + freight & set-up, tax & doc fee - so figure approx. low $17k OTD.

On the trade-in, got a ballpark of $2,500 - 3,000, pending condition report.

Not what I had hoped for on the trade, but kinda surprised on the $ for the FJR.

It is the non-electric susp. model.

Let me know - I can get you an actual OTD if you like or shoot me back a number & I'll see if

we can do...

Thanks

Denny

The trade would have been my 07 FZ;
That doesn't seem like a very good price. I assume this is a 2014A? That's only $491 off MSRP. Wonder what the freight & setup costs are.

Thats a better price than the first place I went to...

That's why I posted earlier, I don't mind paying a fair price( I bought my 04 FJR and an 04 Goldwing, both NEW from them back in 04.

I had issues with the service department big time with the wing after they screwed it up.. (long story).

But no, I'll drive 3 hours to Miami or where ever before I get boned. What's even funnier is, he said the bikes been siting on the showroom floor for a LOONG TIME.

That's fine, I'll wait to see the 2015 color and maybe spring for that or wait for Yamaha to drop the 2014

price down $500 for closing out the '14's

Finally picked up the '14ES today. Was going to get it Monday but my darn work got in the way of my fun time. First impressions on the ride home were that the '14 shifts so much smoother than my '08. I always felt the '08 was a clunky shifter compared to other bikes I had but just learned to live with it. The '14 is smooth as silk.

Will take a little while to get used to the new controls but all in all very pleased. Already have few non-transferable farkles ordered. Frame sliders, fenda extenda, Cee Bailey windshield/headlight guards and reflective bag decals. Swapped seats as soon as I got home.

That does not seem like a good deal to me. Trade is about $1K low. Bike price at least $1K high https://m.cycletrader.com/dealers/Power-Motorsports-2837554/listing/2014-Yamaha-FJR1300-A-112228816 Try a fly and drive on this one. Sell your bike on your own. Its retail is at least $4,500
That's exactly what the sales person said, about $4,500 from my description.

They have looked at it before and low balled me big time. The bike is in cherry condition (accurate pic's, 18,000 miles), lots of farkles, and they'll easily mark it up 2k.... I have a friend that mentioned he was interested.

BTW, I did mention to him it was a CASH deal with a warranty(warranty in

FLORIDA ONLY is about $700)..

Shoot them the deal you are willing to accept.

Let them know that it is a one shot deal for you.

Tell them you want to buy locally, but........

Walk if they say no.

Sell your bike privately and then just buy it from D&H . . . .and get the YES for $390 when you buy (screw the stupid Florida 'we get to rip you off on extended warranties' law).

Sell your bike privately and then just buy it from D&H . . . .and get the YES for $390 when you buy (screw the stupid Florida 'we get to rip you off on extended warranties' law).
In Florida, you HAVE to buy the warranty down here for it to be valid (why, I don't know) but they mark it up to about $700. It was thatway for my 04 as well, 10 years ago.

D&H is a definite possibility. I know they've treated their customers in the past VERY WELL(NO BS).

Haven't heard much about them lately (or I just missed it here..) or anyone purchasing there...

@Townsends - As others have said, separate your trade-in from the deal. It looks like they are looking to make (big) money on both ends of this transaction. Selling your own bike is not that big of a deal, and when it means a couple thousand, it makes it worth the effort.

I know I paid too much for mine, but it is an ES, in relatively high demand and short availability. It was there, in stock and I could pick it up as soon as they put it together. I really did not have much room to haggle as it was the beginning of a demo event and they would have a number of other buyers for that bike by the end of the weekend. Their best "deal" was full MSRP but that was the out the door price $16,890 for the ES. The "A" is $1k less. No adders at all. They even subtracted the $150 doc fee required by the state from the price of the bike to make it come out right.

In retrospect, that looks like it was actually OK compared to what some others are paying for them, not as good as others who are willing to either travel or wait. I will be getting the YES from D&H if the local can't price match them, as that can be done remotely and extended warranties from out of state work fine in NH.

@Silverhound - I agree, The '14 is the first FJR I've seen that doesn't kerchunk when shifting from neutral into 1st gear.