Price on 2014 ES - Good or more wiggle room?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They even subtracted the $150 doc fee required by the state from the price of the bike to make it come out right..
That sounds quite a bit like the bull the dealers feed us in Washington State.....except the law actually states that a dealer can charge up to $150 for document fees, they are not required to charge anything....and they keep all the fees. The dealers are required to disclose that the document fees are negotiable, something that most seem to forget to do.

Well, bull or otherwise, they subtracted it, so it did not affect my final price. Don't know why they would lie to say it is required by the state and then go ahead and back it out of the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, their trying to make a bunch of oney on both ends. They have me in the computer and know I've spent a small fortune there(both bikes, the wing and FJR) were cash sales.

I'm going to wait until the '15 color is announced and talk with my buddy who was interested in mine.

Yamaha drops the price $500 to close out the '14 models, so perhaps that or if the new color "pops", liked my old, 04 Cervelian(sp?) color, I wouldn't mind that again(sorry guys).

I can live/afford with either '14 model.

BTW, I know its been posted before..

Living in SW Florida (its hot 6 months a year anyway), the 04 as you al know was a scortcher...

Fred, I know you had a gen I before the '14, critical question for me, can you put a percentage of the heat output compared between the two bikes(and everyone else)?

I couldn't ride my 04 for half the year, it was so hot (even with the "fixes", which I did all). Won't miss the lean, 3k RPM issue either...

Fred, I know you had a gen I before the '14, critical question for me, can you put a percentage of the heat output compared between the two bikes(and everyone else)?
I couldn't ride my 04 for half the year, it was so hot (even with the "fixes", which I did all). Won't miss the lean, 3k RPM issue either...
I owned my '04 for 8 years before upgrading to the '13. In the Texas heat it would roast my nuts if I didn't keep the tank half full. I also did all the 'tricks' to reduce the heat but it still remained hot. My '13 heat output was immediately noticeable. When riding the '04 on a 95+ day the only thing you noticed was the bike heat, especially in any kind of traffic. With the '13 I'm more distracted by the helmet heat or jacket heat than the bike it. That said, It's hard to state a percentage but it went from unacceptable on a 95+ degree day to acceptable.

Its probably a zero mile demo but still a great deal. My very low mileage '13 was a demo and I paid $13,300. I think the dealer still made a $900 profit on the sale plus any hold backs (which I was told by another dealer that they only get on a few models).

Here's a great deal on a '14 A FJR. $13,000 before taxes.https://www.ebay.com/itm/231335161879?forcerRptr=true&item=231335161879&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:WNARL:US:1123
Wow! That's quite a price.
Its probably a zero mile demo but still a great deal. My very low mileage '13 was a demo and I paid $13,300. I think the dealer still made a $900 profit on the sale plus any hold backs (which I was told by another dealer that they only get on a few models).
There is 3% of Dealer Cost Holdback on ALL Yamaha/Star products. On a PW50 it is not much :)

On a FJR it is significant.

Honda plays by the same rules.

Don't know about the other mnf's as I didn't deal with them.

Here's a great deal on a '14 A FJR. $13,000 before taxes.https://www.ebay.com/itm/231335161879?forcerRptr=true&item=231335161879&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:B:WNARL:US:1123
Wow! That's quite a price.
There is 3% of Dealer Cost Holdback on ALL Yamaha/Star products. On a PW50 it is not much :)

On a FJR it is significant.

Honda plays by the same rules.

Don't know about the other mnf's as I didn't deal with them.
They ALL do it. Cars, motorcycles, boats, etc. It's how they guarantee they make some money. You are correct that the lower the cost of the unit, the smaller the hold back is. Not sure if theyre.percentage based or not, but that would make sense.

Basically, hold back covers vehicle invoice deals. There has to be some profit for dealers to operate. Every now and then with car deals, a dealer will cut into hold back. Donno I've every seen a motorcycle deal cut into it, but I'm sure someone has.

Hold back is not a guaranteed make money deal, it is actually a way for the Manufacturer to ensure the dealer has some money in his Account with the manufacturer so he can pay his monthly bill.

The way it works is that when the dealer purchases the unit from the manufacturer he pays 3% more than the actual invoice cost, the manufacturer holds that money (without paying any interest) until the unit is sold and warranty registered. The manufacturer then pays the hold back to the dealer, usually semi-annually, sometimes annually, often during the "slow" months of the year, December or January. The money goes into the dealers parts account as a credit, then the manufacturer can collect what they are owed by the dealer and can remit any credit balance via check or ACH transfer.

In essence the dealer is getting his own money back with no interest after the manufacturer has used it for 6-12 plus months. Is it truly profit? Depends on the current cost of money and the dealers inventory turn and the timing of the payment from the manufacturer. It can be a big check and does help off season cash flow i can assure you.

I owned my '04 for 8 years before upgrading to the '13. In the Texas heat it would roast my nuts if I didn't keep the tank half full. I also did all the 'tricks' to reduce the heat but it still remained hot. My '13 heat output was immediately noticeable. When riding the '04 on a 95+ day the only thing you noticed was the bike heat, especially in any kind of traffic. With the '13 I'm more distracted by the helmet heat or jacket heat than the bike it. That said, It's hard to state a percentage but it went from unacceptable on a 95+ degree day to acceptable.

Thank you, that's what I needed to know...And everyone else as well..

Whatever you pay, it's worth it.
^^^ This is the truth.

Hold back is not a guaranteed make money deal, it is actually a way for the Manufacturer to ensure the dealer has some money in his Account with the manufacturer so he can pay his monthly bill.
The way it works is that when the dealer purchases the unit from the manufacturer he pays 3% more than the actual invoice cost, the manufacturer holds that money (without paying any interest) until the unit is sold and warranty registered. The manufacturer then pays the hold back to the dealer, usually semi-annually, sometimes annually, often during the "slow" months of the year, December or January. The money goes into the dealers parts account as a credit, then the manufacturer can collect what they are owed by the dealer and can remit any credit balance via check or ACH transfer.

In essence the dealer is getting his own money back with no interest after the manufacturer has used it for 6-12 plus months. Is it truly profit? Depends on the current cost of money and the dealers inventory turn and the timing of the payment from the manufacturer. It can be a big check and does help off season cash flow i can assure you.

Wait. I do not doubt what you say is correct, because I have no experience in that business, and I think that you do. But that makes no financial sense at all.

The whole idea of "haggling" for new vehicles, like this, is pretty damn stupid, really. These are not like "home sales" where people have a fuzzy idea what it is worth because they bought it 20 years ago and "think" its value has changed. If the dealer bouight that unit yesterday and they sell it today, they should be able to set a firm price for it and that is that.

Just my opinion.

In SD the DOC fee is allowed, but, the law is that if you charge one you must charge all.

So it gets negotiated out of the price.

Some dealers charge freight, setup and a DOC, some don't.

Some advertise the "All In" price, others add the Freight, Setup and DOC to their advertised price.

It all comes down to " a good deal being one that both parties are comfortable with".

The best price I've been able to get is $15,890 out the door. I was hoping that, with a $2000 factory incentive and a 500+ mile demo A model, the dealer would go a lot less than that. A new model was quoted $15,990.

Who says $19.95 is too much for a cup of joe?

$15,890 OTD for an ES would be great. It would be about what I'd expect for an A. I have not heard of any $2000 factory incentives for the FJR this year

I think the factory incentive is on the demo models, but I also read there is a factory incentive on the ES models. I don't have any links to this now since I read it in a craigslist ad.

I realize this thread is about 2014 ES models, just wanted to toss out my experience on the A model.

I also see here this model has fewer miles than another one I was thinking of earlier in the summer.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcd/4659851485.html

$2000 off for 200 miles? Hell yeah. That would be a great deal.

The reason for the $2000 incentive is that the bike is not new, regardless of what they are claiming on Craigs List. In some states you can call a vehicle "new", and the manufacturer must provide a new vehicle warranty start date upon the sale, if it has never been titled before.

That is the case in New Hampshire, so great deals can be had on demos or loaner vehicles that have only had dealer plates on them previously. My daughter bought a "new" 2014 BMW car with 5k miles on it (it was a 6 month old service loaner) and she saved $10k on the sale price over a zero mileage car of the same model year.

Latest posts