Quiet Forum These Days?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
except for HRZ's dissing of ride reports... I resemble that remark, ya dickwad!
tongue.png
That took longer than I thought...run HRZ, run!!!
fool.gif

• "Long-time FJRForum.com member in good standing with current administrators and/or recognized FJR community contributor compatible and supportive of FJRForum.com core and founding principles"

My read of "compatible and supportive of the core and founding principles" means said Admin would defend and uphold any and all current rules. And Rich, I too could be wrong, but I don't read any part of that ad as an invitation to any of us old troublemakers to come on board and make changes.
Fair enough. None of us seems to have an unambiguous set of facts (about the situation and what is being offered) upon which to rely. Seems that is the first step - a clear indication of what is actually being offered. That is probably integral to generating interest, and then, as has been mentioned, finding someone (singular or plural) with the technical skills required is another hurdle.

I've long advocated for a kinder, gentler approach to discipline, shaming, etc. So did SkooterG. But we got what we got and a significant number of contributing members/friends left. Some have died. It will probably never be what it was ten years ago. We've wrangled over this issue a number of times, it never seems to resolve to anyone's satisfaction and many of us are just weary of it. I'd love to be optimistic that we can treat one another kindly, but . . .

I have other things to do, can only control myself (a work in progress), have limited time left on the planet, a desire to act with more grace and to regard the good stuff with gratitude. So I hope to see you and other old friends (exiled or not) in Nakusp next summer. Now, a text from that adventure's lovely pillion just came in, so . . . peace, all.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • "Long-time FJRForum.com member in good standing with current administrators and/or recognized FJR community contributor compatible and supportive of FJRForum.com core and founding principles"

My read of "compatible and supportive of the core and founding principles" means said Admin would defend and uphold any and all current rules. And Rich, I too could be wrong, but I don't read any part of that ad as an invitation to any of us old troublemakers to come on board and make changes.
In other words if there's a transition.....

quote-meet-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss-pete-townshend-311270.jpg
A new owner would design the rules as they chose. No?

Does that post not encourage interested folk to PM him directly? Shouldn't that clarify any questions or ambiguity?

Please send serious inquiries via PM to Ignacio
Yep. Sure does.

He's also top of the list for a colon transplant.
Why would he need that? He's already got a colon on both ends.

Love ya Bust! I'll never forget the concern and help with breakfast that you and your (long suffering) wife showed to a guy I know with a broken collarbone at the Reuben Run.

He sure was, but you couldn't tell at first glance. Seems to me it was 2 hours plus before he got a ride to the Hospital.

We were concerned that he might have been in shock for awhile there.

He sure was, but you couldn't tell at first glance. Seems to me it was 2 hours plus before he got a ride to the Hospital.
We were concerned that he might have been in shock for awhile there.
Yeah, John is as stubborn as the rest of us. I offered to take him to the ER but he turned me down.

I did get his bike towed off the mountain to my shop so it didn't sit in an impound yard. It ended up going to our Reuben chef and I'm looking at it as I type.

A forum board needs a steady injection of new blood to thrive and prosper, to replace those who inevitably leave, otherwise attrition is the name of the game, as evidenced apparently here and at other hobby forums I frequent (one at which I'm a moderator). If you'd like the perspective of a relative FNG -- someone who hasn't been an active member for long and doesn't know any of the individuals mentioned earlier in this thread but represents that "new blood" I mention -- I'll offer my experience. I offer it with respect and apprecation for what this site offers to the FJR community.

My perspective is that this forum is not a particularly open forum for discussion. I understand the owners'/moderators' disdain for familiar topics and the encouragement of members to search for information rather than prompt a discussion about topics that have been tread before, but such discouragement of new threads on familiar topics and/or their move to the NEPRT board inherently stifles new poster/member enthusiasm and motivation to participate. For those of who have not been here for long and are all too aware that our posts are more likely than not to be moved, deleted, or otherwise dimished, this forum typically feels more like a set of encyclopedias to consult than a forum for discussion.

Even contributions to existing threads seem to be under tough scrutiny. I posted a contribution on the existing 2018 model thread and came back later in the day and it had been deleted. My thread was in response to another poster who mentioned something about Harley-Davidson and their lock on the cruiser market segment...I followed up on that with a bit about my last bike, a Triumph cruiser, and how and why I agreed with the poster. It was several paragraphs that required some time and thought on my part, but I hoped it would both advance the topic and just add to the discussion in some way that would allow it to organically develop and grow. I appreciate that my post and the one before it strayed and drifted a bit from the specific analysis and opinions of the 2018 model, but it was still within the overall gist of the thread at that point, i.e. design choices (e.g. matte paint), market forces that challenge the FJR, etc. Yet my post was deleted outright because -- presumably, as I was not contacted (nor did I expect to be) -- it didn't stay within the tight confines that were deemed appropriate.

With new posts at high risk of NEPRT status and posts to existing threads at high risk of deletion if they stray a bit from topic, new folks like myself are challenged to muster up much enthusiasm to participate. I love forums and participate generously in several...but while I certainly plan to continue my membership here, it will be more as a visitor and reader than participant for the reasons I hope I've been able to express. If I'm representative of the "new blood" that's needed to keep this forum active and that the owners may wish to seek, then this may or may not be something they may wish to examine. That said, however, I get completely that I'm a guest in someone else's house, so I will respectfully comply with whatever rules they wish to set forth.