Quiet Forum These Days?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motorcycles are much cheaper than chasing women. Sheep on the other hand are much easier on your wallet ...so I have read.
whistle.gif

Seems this isn't the only forum upset that forums "aren't what they used to be".

Neither of the below quotes are from admins on this site.

Yesterday at 05:01:21 PM

Welcome back. I hope I am misunderstanding your words but, if I understand correctly, you seem to be one of the persons who left the "shack" (in whom you no doubt spent many enjoyable hours) to burn down and now you drive by to gloat over its fate, breaking down (with criticism) attempts to keep what little is left, probably because you feel you are better than the "two hobos" still staying here. Please take constructive part in what little there remains of discussions here and help to build up to some of this "shacks" former glory.
Nope, you understood him correctly.

Some (former, useful) members of STN just can't seem to get over - and let go - of the fact that UFO took a well-timed jump and sold the site to a commercial entity. Personally, I don't blame him (UFO) at all. The site had been a labor of love for years and in the later years it had become much more "labor" and a lot less "love". A lot of that had to do with some of the members feeling entitled to do whatever they wanted here, as if it was their own personal playground.

The forum has drastically dropped in membership and postings over the years, but I do not blame that at all on the sale or even who posts here. It is endemic to all motorcycle forums that I am aware of. Social media is changing things, not to mention the motorcycle demographics themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
The forum has drastically dropped in membership and postings over the years, but I do not blame that at all on the sale or even who posts here. It is endemic to all motorcycle forums that I am aware of. Social media is changing things, not to mention the motorcycle demographics themselves.
I believe this is the Crux of the matter. With all of their advertising dollars the Social Media sites, Facebook in particular, can follow the axiom of making it "easy". Hence a drop off in participation in the Forum. Easier to access on a phone, easier to post pictures from the phone etc.

It's kinda right there....in bold

Places like this began before the popular uptake of social media platforms. Back then, yes the tech was there, and should have been as this FJ model platform was a new evo, but the Forum filled that void of connection that people wanted and needed. The admins here, and by the sound of it at STN, have pulled the plug on what was an original driver of these sites. ADV, STN, etc etc were all beasts of that era. People move on as their needs are NOT being met.

Sooooooo, I am curious who would take an admin job where you have to read each and every post, judge them, re-file them based on an archaic list of subjective rules, and then berate members for exercising their right to free speech in a society built on that principle. Give me a sec, I need a sip of java after typing that....whew

Most of the new "tech" threads here are about tires, oils, bluetooth/coms, GPS, gear, farkles (like suspensions) blah blah blah. ALL of those items are purely subjective to an individual's riding needs; SUBJECTIVE. What works for Bob, might work for Bill, but definitely not for Festus. To me, that is not motorcycle tech. Oh look at that! I made a subjective comment people are more than welcome to disagree with! Go me!

Social media is changing things, for sure. People who enjoy like things enjoy connecting with each other and having the ability to make bigger connections based on a common like. Why is that a crime to a motorcycle forum? Baffling...

...post script

And if bike forums are dying, who would want to buy this place? (rhetorical question folks)

So, where does it go from here? I understand that maintaining and running this site probably went from love to labor to PITA a while back, and that it must seem worse as time goes by. I know that I couldn't bear to do what Iggy and other admins (is it just Bounce now?) keep having to do to keep the site up. It displaces other life opportunities, it's thankless and the passion for it has maybe probably ebbed, if not completely vanished. I know it isn't much, but thanks guys . . . for all you have done, whether we agree on the small shit or not.

There are undoubtedly several reasons for the drop off in membership, participation and satisfaction . . . for all. A sad part of getting older is having to let go of things we once cherished. Hopefully, we can take a part of the good stuff with us, if only in our memories and only for a while. Everything is temporary and we all move on in some way or another, mostly because we have to. Which leads me to:

What is the plan going forward? How long will this site remain up without a new owner/administrator, and is that search showing hopeful signs?

So, where does it go from here? I understand that maintaining and running this site probably went from love to labor to PITA a while back, and that it must seem worse as time goes by. I know that I couldn't bear to do what Iggy and other admins (is it just Bounce now?) keep having to do to keep the site up. It displaces other life opportunities, it's thankless and the passion for it has maybe probably ebbed, if not completely vanished. I know it isn't much, but thanks guys . . . for all you have done, whether we agree on the small shit or not.
+1

"This is the end..........................................my only friend, .....................the end......................".

"This is the end..........................................my only friend, .....................the end......................".

Like +1. ODOT is Too Rolling Stoned. (Robin Tower)

exskibum posted: STOP IT !! I have one of those things coming up, butt was unaware that cattle prods were used.
weirdsmiley.gif
not_i.gif

A Freudian misspelling ... or perhaps wishful thinking? No matter, just drink deeply of the night-before Kool-Aid.