R1200RT - Thoughts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New RT is great bike, very comfortable, for one or two, with low centre of gravity in curvy roads better than FJR. Engine has a lot of torque in low revs, perfect for Alps like roads. Quick shifter up and down is really great feature. Whether protection is also better. Fully equiped this bike can have everything what you can just imagine (radio, cruise control, build in gps controled via "wonder wheel", heated "everything", el.suspension, coloured cluster...)

But: Design is very questionable, comparing to FJR looks like "tank". I love FJR desing. Boxer is good but FJR engine is better (to me). Riding position is like on sofa, not on a bike. I spend couple of days on RT (and all other BMW bikes) but for Sport touring FJR is my winner.

Ergonomically and handling-wise, the 1200, like the 1150 before it, is virtually without peer. The RT, to me, is BMW's finest bike, and one of the best of any out there for sport touring. Handles like a superbike, but with wing-like comfort. Now for the downside- you specify an R1200RT. That is an air-cooled bike. We say oil cooled/oilhead, but it's really an air cooled bike. Which can lead to problems in stop and go summer traffic (mine eventually coughed up an exhaust valve).
Bill, the RT bikes have been liquid cooled since 2014. The GS bikes got the liquid cooled engine in 2013 and the RT followed.

Ergonomically and handling-wise, the 1200, like the 1150 before it, is virtually without peer. The RT, to me, is BMW's finest bike, and one of the best of any out there for sport touring. Handles like a superbike, but with wing-like comfort. Now for the downside- you specify an R1200RT. That is an air-cooled bike. We say oil cooled/oilhead, but it's really an air cooled bike. Which can lead to problems in stop and go summer traffic (mine eventually coughed up an exhaust valve).
Bill, the RT bikes have been liquid cooled since 2014. The GS bikes got the liquid cooled engine in 2013 and the RT followed.
Quite correct. The liquid/air cooling ration is supposed to be 35/65. This is on all of the R1200RT bikes currently sold. I am unaware of BMW having oilhead and waterhead boxers in the R1200RT at the same time. It is worth noting that prior to 2014 the R1200RT was oil and air cooled.

The liquid cooling is used in and around the heads to control the greatest concentration of heat. I will add that Harley Davidson is doing the same thing with their new Rushmore series engines in their Ultras, also introduced in 2014.

I have lusted after an opposing twin engine after I first saw an R90 in 1975. I have never bought one for two reasons: (1) money -- didn't have any in 1975, and current BMWs are significantly more expensive than the FJR, and (2) while the engine may be bulletproof, the rest of the bike isn't.

My opinion? Ride your own ride, brother, and stop by once or twice to fire up my moto-lust all over again!

I have owned a BMW, granted it was an older GS, but as a result I seriously considered the RT when I decided to upgrade. I chose a 15' FJR ES and I will tell you exactly why.

First, serviceability. And this is a two part reason.

1) I do all my own service, and the BMW not only requires more, it is also much more difficult and the worst part, in order to reset the Service light, you have to take it to the dealer or spend another $700 for a computer. That was almost the deal breaker right there...

2)There are literally thousands more Yamaha dealers nationwide and for me, the nearest BMW is over 4 hours roundtrip.

Second, recalls! Yup, there have been just too many recently for my taste. In fact, when I was looking there was not even an RT around to sit on, let alone ride. To date, the new liquid cooled model has been involved in two recalls.

Third, reviews. While they still get a great review, the simple fact is, the FJR matches them in almost every category except initial comfort. My next reason will explain why this alone is not worth it.

Fourth, cost. A comparably equipped R1200RT will run you around $7K more. And while I was not too concerned with cost, because in a few years that would be irrelevant anyhow, the simple fact is that when you add the first three, cost became just another nail in the coffin so to speak.

And finally... After owning my FJR, I am soooooo happy. The reliability, ease of service, perform, comfort, style and support are everything I was looking for in a sport touring bike.

I will say this. People that own the RT love em'... And they are damn nice bike, there is no arguing that. Good luck and have Fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe it or not, I did consider the latest iteration of our beloved FJR. I think it is a great bike and substantially advanced over my 2008. However, I am looking for something new in terms of how I ride. This is what happens when you have ridden a given bike, or class of bike for the last 8-10 years. I don't want a big tour machine like the Goldwing or the K1600GTL. I want a capable tourer that is on the sporty side. I want better wind protection, cruise control a bit better seat position.. I also want some of the bells and whistle the R1200RT has as well. Again, as we all likely have ridden for many years, you have to try different types of bikes and styles of riding. The RT seems to be the next iteration for me - consistent with my past riding style, but taking it somewhat in a different direction. Worse case, I sell the durn thing a come back to the Feej!

smile.png
punk.gif
bike.gif

It sounds like the BMW is ticking all your boxes. It definitely has "better" wind protection if by better you really mean that it blocks more. It is lighter and a bit more nimble. I am sure you know the Gen 3 FJRs all have Cruise Control but the BMW has all kinds of neat stuff like Hillside Assistance and who knows what else?

Bikes are not like wives. You can trade out and try something different with a bike. If you find out you were better off, you can just go back. It ain't like marriage and divorce.

I want to know how it turns out. If it is a POS, we want to know. If it is as good as I hope it is, I want to know that too.

You will love that engine, when someone says "not FJR fast" it is a total different delivery of torque. You should experience a boxer at least once if you love motorcycle riding.

The RT is too big IMO, BMW guys say it has lost the ST feeling and has gone soft. I did not test one when I had the chance.

The R1200RS I bought is impressive, 520lbs. in a great chassis with that engine is a very satisfying ride so far. I like the precision feel of everything and the obvious build quality, the premium package has all the ESA goodies and Brembo stuff is always fantastic. I am faster and more confident on the RS than my very well sorted FJR, that was my favorite bike until now. The BMW brand is reliable now, 36K warranty and concierge owners support too.

If it's Kool-Aid talking, I like the flavor so far. Keeping the FJR so don't kick me out.

Life is short. Own many bikes.

I have owned a BMW, granted it was an older GS, but as a result I seriously considered the RT when I decided to upgrade. I chose a 15' FJR ES and I will tell you exactly why.

1) I do all my own service, and the BMW not only requires more, it is also much more difficult and the worst part, in order to reset the Service light, you have to take it to the dealer or spend another $700 for a computer. That was almost the deal breaker right there...

2)There are literally thousands more Yamaha dealers nationwide and for me,

I will say this. People that own the RT love em'... And they are damn nice bike, there is no arguing that. Good luck and have Fun!
Valid points but BMW service is around $330, I think that's an ECU check with oil service and final drive fluid change. I would think that is comparable to a Yamaha dealer for the same services. I do all my own maintenance and the dealer will reset the light if I can't find a free solution. The only bad things I see are a 12K valve check interval and the cost of replacement parts if needed. I wish it had LED headlights like my cheap ass FJ09 had.

I put a Honda sticker over the BMW emblem on mine so people who profile a certain group would like me better and charge me less.

2)There are literally thousands more Yamaha dealers nationwide and for me, the nearest BMW is over 4 hours roundtrip.

Second, recalls! Yup, there have been just too many recently for my taste. In fact, when I was looking there was not even an RT around to sit on, let alone ride. To date, the new liquid cooled model has been involved in two recalls.

Third, reviews. While they still get a great review, the simple fact is, the FJR matches them in almost every category except initial comfort. My next reason will explain why this alone is not worth it.

Fourth, cost. A comparably equipped R1200RT will run you around $7K more. And while I was not too concerned with cost, because in a few years that would be irrelevant anyhow, the simple fact is that when you add the first three, cost became just another nail in the coffin so to speak.

And finally... After owning my FJR, I am soooooo happy. The reliability, ease of service, perform, comfort, style and support are everything I was looking for in a sport touring bike.

I saw a tool on the GS Forums a couple years back called a GS 911 if I remember correctly that could read and clear, reset codes in the BMW computers. I think it was a couple hundred dollars or so. There is a fellow, Jim Von Baden, that makes all the videos and can let you know what's out there for DIY maintenance on the Boxers. This is the most reasonable BMW discussion I have read on here. Good facts and not a bashing session! I like the GS & GSA personally after spending a week on one in Europe. Excellent cornering and ergonomics I would imagine the RT would handle the same way with more comfort. I think a year or two old unit would be pretty reasonably priced.

The only thing this discussion has left out is:

"JSNS".

Sure miss that Mick.

BMW maintenance is not that much more expensive if you can do it yourself. If you are a slave to the dealerships, then it becomes a significant factor.

The new wasserboxer engines are not liquid cooled to the degree the FJR is. It is air and water cooled, so to get full cooling requires forward motion. This may be an issue if you ride in traffic a lot. It would not really be an issue for me.

If I were to buy a new BMW boxer it would probably be the R1200RS. To me that is the bike that you are looking for. Much lighter and more nimble than an RT or FJR, but still good ergos and all day rideability. I owned a '94 R1100RS, and that was a pretty great bike. The RS has always been BMW's true sport touring model. The RT is their Touring bike (along with the newer K bike barges).

2015-BMW-R1200RS3.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I've had the old flying brick (2004 K1200GT), not an "R" but I can speak to BMW ownership in general.

• If you can do basic maintenance: oil, coolant, brakes, clutch, the bike isn't that expensive to own.
  • BMWs then to have very neat standard features (my 04 had stock: ABS, cruise (that you can set to 110mph), heated grips, heated seat, powered windshield).
  • Very comfortable, premium parts, nice fit and finish.
  • Very handsome bikes.
Now my bike had some issues that i knew about going in (servo abs, the clutch seal leaking, and the final drive grenadeing) but i got through them just fine because i worked on my own bike and kept an eye on things. None of it was hard, and the BMW forums are super super helpful. I used basic tools, a couple of specialty items (eg to hold the clutch basket) and a shop manual. The bike always started, never let me down, never left me stranded. But you gotta work on it and stay on top of PMs; if keeping a maintenance log and staying on top of it isn't your thing, then I would stay with the Japanese brands, as they can take a lot of abuse and neglect for some reason.

Oh one more thing with BMWs. They (like other bikes) are becoming more and more computerized, and as another poster alluded to: you soon might not be able to do much work on the bike yourself. If I were to get another BMW I'd get a classic /R with mechanical everything and sleep easy, that's me though.

I got a FJR simply because I wanted something more modern that was a great bang for the buck. Electronics are there but not over the top or intrusive.

... the Japanese brands, as they can take a lot of abuse and neglect for some reason.
My theory is that the Japanese are good at building simple, reliable machines. The Germans WANT to build complex machines to show off their engineering prowess. There is no need for the BMW final drive to be as complicated as it is.

With a Harley Ultra and A Spyder RT in the garage, I began looking for a replacement for my two-wheeler. I first focused on the R1200RT and really liked it, then my son-in-law steered me toward the FJR and I can say that for the money, he is right about the FJR looking like a better deal. The reviews I've read about the BMW and it's boxer engine leave me believing that the FJR would provide a better ride, but with a lot of over-the-road riding planned, the lack of a broad BMW dealer network concerned me. ...Don

P.S. Other than my intro a couple of weeks ago, this is my first foray into being a part of the forum. Be easy on me!

I'm in love with my RS, after 4000 miles and a few days riding Arkansas I dare say...it's better than my well sorted 2005 FJR. The RT is a big bike but so are the new FJR models.

Petey and I are sipping the Kool-aid and it's tasty.